Sign in to follow this  
Ryan36235

FSX FrameRate

Hi, when i fly the aerosoft airbus or any PMDG my frame rate is fine on departure and cruise but when i disconnect the autopilot for approach my frame rate drops really low. it never used to be like this but all of a sudden it started doing it.

could you help me fix it

Thanks Ryan

It's probably not caused by disconnecting the autopilot, but it's the detail of the arrival airport scenery loading in whilst on approach causing the drop in fps. Is this at add on or default airports?

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

This is the first time I have seen this reported.  Disable the AP on the Aerosoft Airbus or PMDG 737 and the fps will drop but most members probably do not disconnect the AP and keep the AP on all the way to landing.  If you are landing at night, fps will decrease as night lighting takes up more resources.  I would need more info about the flight plan and weather there was real weather turned on or not.  With default scenery and default settings I can get fps up to around 200 fps but that's with default aircraft.  Never tried it with commercial eye-candy aircraft like the Aerosoft Airbus or the PMDG 737.  I could try it I guess.  Rename my fsx.cfg, scenery, and dll.xml and then load the PMDG 737. 

High fsx and display driver settings will cause all kinds of issues with FSX depending on the scenario.  I have recently been testing FSX/Acceleration and found that locking the fps to 30 is the best for most scenarios (I am doing a lot of testing as I have a very powerful system now - see my signature).  I have one scenario where I fly out of Orbx's Friday Harbor in my Carenado Phenom 300 with Orbx Pacific NW also activated.  When I depart, FPS are a solid 30 fps in and around Friday Harbor and most of the route but, when I arrive at/near Seattle, my fps drop dramatically and mostly in the teens and single digits.  There is an object or something in that area that eats up resources dramatically. 

I'm always happy though when I can maintain my fps in the teens in commercial eye-candy scenery and using detailed aircraft like the PMDG 737, 777, or 747.  Back when FSX was first released, everyone was happy with fps above 15 and I saw many posts where members had indicated movies were viewed at 15 fps (actually it was 24 fps).

Hope you can figure out why the AP disconnect in your commercial aircraft is taking up so many resources on approach!  That has to take a lot of enjoyment out of your flight simulation.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10