Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Overclock On Z170 & i7 6700k

Yep, my daughters H100i V2 pump is running at the slower speed. Hardly any temp drop at all really. 

On 2017-5-30 at 4:15 PM, martin-w said:

Yep, my daughters H100i V2 pump is running at the slower speed. Hardly any temp drop at all really. 

Just curious really, do we know exactly why Corsair say to use the CPU fan header? Is it just to make it more compatible with older motherboards without pump headers maybe?

If you use the CPU header for the pump, and the pump fails, (so no RPM recognised by the BIOS) then the BIOS assumes there's no fan cooling the CPU, so won't to boot.

And of course, it will shut down immediately if the pump fails while PC is running.

So I suspect it's for safety really. 

What you can do to bypass this is run the pump from where you desire, but make sure there's a case fan plugged into the CPU fan header.

I installed H100i V2 yesterday and plugged the pump to a CPU header. Both radiator fans are conected to the unit, as per manual instructions. Pump speed is set to Performance. 6700k ocd to 4,6 ghz. Hardly any sound. Only problem is that the Corsair software clashes with the Asus AI Suite, and it doesn't show up the RPMs of the radiator fans. I am also considering replacing the default radiator fans with corsair SPs fans. I have 3 case fans Corsair AFs and they are really  quiet. It's weird now, after i have replaced default Zalman case fans with these. All i can hear is a low buzzing of the pump if i put my ear close to the pc case.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

6 hours ago, Johnny19 said:

Only problem is that the Corsair software clashes with the Asus AI Suite, and it doesn't show up the RPMs of the radiator fans. I am also considering replacing the default radiator fans with corsair SPs fans. I have 3 case fans Corsair AFs and they are really  quiet.

Yes I had issues with Asus Fan Xpert. It all went bonkers and I ended up with the fans on the rad at ZERO RPM. :biggrin: Didn't bother the rad at idle though, with just the pump running it was still a low idle temp.

After I switched the chassis and CPU fans from auto to PWM in the BIOS all was well. The fans on the rad were then ignored, as they should have been, and I was able to just control the chassis fan with Fan Xpert and the rad fans with Corsair Link. I set up a fan curve in Corsair link for the rad fans. Pump on low speed.

It's weird now, after i have replaced default Zalman case fans with these. All i can hear is a low buzzing of the pump if i put my ear close to the pc case.

You'll be fine with the pump on low speed. Balanced profile and then set up a fan curve. Worked great for my daughters PC.

I'm using Noctua NF-F12's on the rad.

3 minutes ago, martin-w said:

You'll be fine with the pump on low speed. Balanced profile and then set up a fan curve. Worked great for my daughters PC.

I'm using Noctua NF-F12's on the rad.

Thanks for posting. I managed to control rad fans through Corsair Link and the rest of the chassis fans through Fan Xpert. Still quiet enough (until i replace stock rad fans :) )

And yeah i need to set up the fan curve, already using balanced profile. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

On 2017-5-28 at 9:46 AM, martin-w said:

I have a story to tell re that. Messing about with fan Xpert in order to set up the chassis fan, I ran the fan tuning. Fan Xpert got ultra confused and set the H100i V2 fans to ZERO rpm and left them there. :biggrin: There was me about to dive in and shut down but actually CPU temp barely moved. Seems the H100i V2 could handle idle temp with no fans running, just the pump on low speed. Anyway, I had an inkling I knew what the issue was, namely the tendency of the Asus BIOS on auto to cause such confusion. So I nipped into the BIOS and switched chassis fan and CPU fan control from auto to PWM. All good then, Corsair Link was obeyed for the rad fans rather than a mentally challenged Fan Xpert.

You can set up a fan profile though. So even the Corsair fans are quiet most of the time. I switched to Noctua fans because I like the "quality" of the sound and because they are quieter if ever called upon to ramp up high. In every day use, with the fan profile I set up, both Corsair and Noctua fans would be quiet.

Sounds like you have no fan profile set up.

Yep, and this sometimes surprises people. Many think that push pull will make a big difference, it doesn't. It doesn't simply because air velocity stays the same. It's just static pressure that increases marginally, thus a slight reduction in temp. Same applies to big tower coolers. For example, two fans on the D14 compared to one equates to 1-2 degrees, that's all. One of the reasons I opted for the D15S.

My daughters Z270I Strix has a pump header. However, I didn't use it. Instead I opted to follow Corsairs instructions to the letter. So the fans are connected to the provided cables from the block and the pump is connected to the boards CPU fan header.

Had an issue with the link cable though, as the board din't have a spare internal USB header. I ended up buying an Akasa adaptor cable so that I could run the cable out of the back of the case and plug the Link cable into a rear external USB. Worked great.

I like Corsair Link to be honest, I think it works fine. I have it set to balanced as Vortex does, so lower pump speed, but obeying my custom fan curve in link.

The reason I plug the pump into a CPU fan header (as Corsair recommend) is that if plugged into the AIO header, a CPU fan warning is set off, according to YouTube videos. In addition, if ever the pump fails, then the system won't boot as a safe guard.

Fan Xpert can be weird at times, especially with a new platform like Z270. It and Ai Suite runs fine on my Z170 Deluxe though. 

Where are you attaching your Pump cable, CPU header or AIO header?

I delidded with the new Delid Die Mate 2. Very nice device, makes delidding easy. Nicely engineered from a solid block of aluminium and surprisingly good value. I used Conductonaut liquid metal TIM.

Temp was pretty good to begin with to be honest, and after delidding I noticed that Intel had done a reasonable job of the TIM application. There wasn't that much there and it wasn't dry and cracked as many have reported, so I didn't expect a huge drop in temp.

The temp did drop by 13 degrees, which I was happy with. 

Where did you get your delid tool Martin?

All I can find for decent ones, are either pre-order only, or crappy ones on eBay.

On 2017-5-27 at 7:31 PM, vortex681 said:

What don't you like about the Corsair Link software? I have an H110i GT which I run with the "Quiet" profile in Link and it's virtually silent (and that's using the supplied Corsair fans). Without the Link profile the fans sound a bit like a jet taking off but the Quiet profile keeps the fans at about 1000 RPM. The CPU (6700K) Idle temp is around 28-30C and under load around 60C (the ambient temp is about 20C today). I've read that earlier versions of the Link software were very buggy but I've had no problems at all with it and it uses very little in the way of system resources.

Here’s another reason I really, REALLY don’t like the Corsair Link software….

This pic suggests I have a ‘shed load’ of fans installed.

In reality, there are just half that amount. A total of six motherboard fan headers are in use, including one for the water pump.

I can remove and reinstall the (most up to date) software, including the config file, but nothing changes.

If anyone has any ideas why its seeing so many fans, I’d be grateful;-)

Link.jpg

Katy's using her PC at the moment, so I can't check. But I didn't even bother with that screen. No idea why it's doing that for you, not doing that with my daughters PC.

RE Die Mate 2... if you want one I would drop OCUK an email, they may well be in stock very soon.

On 2017-6-4 at 2:09 PM, martin-w said:

Katy's using her PC at the moment, so I can't check. But I didn't even bother with that screen. No idea why it's doing that for you, not doing that with my daughters PC.

RE Die Mate 2... if you want one I would drop OCUK an email, they may well be in stock very soon.

DELIGHTED with the delid!!!

Only reduced idle temps by 1 or 2 degrees, but at full load with AIDA64 and at 4.6ghz, max temps are down by a staggering 21 degrees!!!!

I'm gobsmacked;-)

Pre delid, max core temp was 77 degs

Post delid, max temp is at 56 degs ;-)))

32 minutes ago, Dougal said:

DELIGHTED with the delid!!!

Only reduced idle temps by 1 or 2 degrees, but at full load with AIDA64 and at 4.6ghz, max temps are down by a staggering 21 degrees!!!!

I'm gobsmacked;-)

Pre delid, max core temp was 77 degs

Post delid, max temp is at 56 degs ;-)))

Ha, very nice indeed Dougal. :biggrin:

Don't forget though, ambient temp before and after the delid is important. Did you check by any chance?

CPU fan speed should be fixed before and after really too.

Nice result, only 13 for me, but the Intel TIM application actually looked very good, not dried up and not too much of it, so I want expecting more.

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Ha, very nice indeed Dougal. :biggrin:

Don't forget though, ambient temp before and after the delid is important. Did you check by any chance?

CPU fan speed should be fixed before and after really too.

Nice result, only 13 for me, but the Intel TIM application actually looked very good, not dried up and not too much of it, so I want expecting more.

I did yes. Also watched a shedload of youtube vids b4 doing it. Today was a good day to do it here, as ambient temps have been constant all day.

Depending on how I test, the smallest difference I got at load was 19degs, but 21 at best.

17 hours ago, Dougal said:

I did yes. Also watched a shedload of youtube vids b4 doing it. Today was a good day to do it here, as ambient temps have been constant all day.

Depending on how I test, the smallest difference I got at load was 19degs, but 21 at best.

Great stuff!

This was the Die Mate 2 was it?