Sign in to follow this  
Juicehead

V3 vs V4 Comparison (Performance)

Have any of the beta testers here performed an apples to apples performance comparison between these two versions?  I know Jordan King stated that he did not see any improvement in performance, but I have read otherwise in a few other places, etc.  It is hard to determine in Rob As. video because he is locked out at 30fps @ 30hz (4k nonetheless).

Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

Many addon developers said P3D V4 did have a vast performance improvement compared to V3. Rob in his video said he maxed out all settings and went beyond. So it is normal because P3D allows you to go beyond the max settings by tweaking parameters. You might get the same fps as V3 but consider your sim can handle much more or even beyond the limit amount of work in V4 now,

BTW, I guess it's lagging on Rob's computer probably because he is running out of VRAM. 

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

so now its not an memory bound OOM but a VRAM OOM...lol...im waiting for next gen PC's and GPU's before spilling my money on this...3.4 works fine for now 

don't forget Rob use a 4K monitor, with a 1920 monitor or a 2k you will use less VRAM 

36 minutes ago, aamontoy said:

so now its not an memory bound OOM but a VRAM OOM...lol...im waiting for next gen PC's and GPU's before spilling my money on this...3.4 works fine for now 

Memory addressing is virtual nowadays.  Even if your graphics card doesn't have enough VRAM for the job, the driver treats system RAM as virtual VRAM.  That's pretty much the entire point of multi-tier memory hierarchy and virtual addressing.  

35 minutes ago, Dervakon said:

don't forget Rob use a 4K monitor, with a 1920 monitor or a 2k you will use less VRAM 

There is not huge difference between FHD, 2k and 4k resolution most part of consumed memory are textures. Especially with new texture size exp parameter it becomes crazy.

I think one of the biggest performance thing for me is that now I can enable orbx regions while flying airliners..Otherwise the performance would suffer as it was closing to VAS limit...So yes this is a big performance for me..

Apparently road and AI traffic has been significantly optimized as well.

• Upvote 1

Since you mentioned road traffic, it reminded me that P3D is not just a flight Simulator! its a world simulator. So I wouldn't be a bit surprised If they have added dedicated ground traffic physics and perhaps dedicated marine traffic physics too.

In the comments of one of Rob's videos he said one can expect about a 10-15% increase in performance under similar settings.  

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

54 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

In the comments of one of Rob's videos he said one can expect about a 10-15% increase in performance under similar settings.  

Interesting, I've not heard this up until now.  I wonder if that's a theoretical maximum increase or an observed average?  Any performance increase is good news, no matter how you slice it.  

New product is good as it solves the OOM now.  It has new SDK, I can bet you that Orbx and the other major players will take advantage of this big time.  LM left it looking like a default p3dv3 due to the fact that it reduces their headaches and rely on third party to make the sim nice/flashy realistic. 

There will be rain effects on cockpit windows, I bet it will be easier with new SDK to make.  Third party are going to have field day for making all new types of apps.  Everyone wins here (Capitalism at its finest here).

Dawn of the 64 bit sims has arrived now and it is now Glorious Morning.  I wish they released the sim over the long weekend, oh well next week it is.

My main concern is about mesh, fs global 2010 is v3 supported and fs global 2018 is coming out soon for v4, I can't tell whether there will be upgrade price or have to buy brand new mesh.  I am hoping that freemesh is good and awesome for P4D.

I am 100% done with 32 bit Apps finally.  I will never even bother to install 32 Bit VAS plagued software.  I know for some it is important as they have complex controllers...those members should wait to see if all the products have been updated.

I can't stand why people are complaining.  Everyone complained about OOM and 32bit hell, and now things have upgraded - complainers still complain...what gives. 

• Upvote 2

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

People aren't complaining so much, just chattering while waiting for the new shiny to drop. It's on nearly every single forum / reddit / facebook / instagram on the internets. Its very much the online 'culture' But people who think 64bit is the end of all and any system limitations might be a little naive.

The one thing that will always OOM ... People's expectations!

• Upvote 1