Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

For all Ortho-Junkies...a great airport search tool!

You just generated a tile for area x/y.  Wanna fly to all the airports and visit them, touch 'n go's?

Here is a great link to be able to print an airport listing, or merely find all the airports near your target start point, or any airport for that matter, within a State or Province, and has available, great photos of on, and near field of that airport.

http://www.ifly.com/airport-search

Enjoy,

Ses

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but this link is really for actual, real life flights.  What's wrong with Flight Aware, which gives you great flight data? :huh:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

6 minutes ago, Jimm said:

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but this link is really for actual, real life flights.  What's wrong with Flight Aware, which gives you great flight data? :huh:

Hi Jimm, I like this one, as it shows quickly all the airports around my target airport and their distance to such. I just wanted to FYI, to the forum that this exists, if the member was not aware. :)

It also gives you the good visual overview, pictures on and near field,  to feel that you've been there...or know what is there, to boot. 

Mitch

I still think skyvector world vfr charts is the best online tool for flying. Maybe I'm just used to sectionals from so many years of pilotage with them, though. 

13 hours ago, Griphos said:

I still think skyvector world vfr charts is the best online tool for flying. Maybe I'm just used to sectionals from so many years of pilotage with them, though. 

I would have to agree, but since we are all experienced flyers, we know where the best tools are to plan.  I think Mitch's goal was to put a link out there to beginner's, getting familiar with how to do an airport search and such.  For the more serious flyers, tools like Skyvector, RNav, Simroutes, etc are indispensable.  Also, we cannot discount Navigraph, for it's extensive maps and charts.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

3 hours ago, Jimm said:

I would have to agree, but since we are all experienced flyers, we know where the best tools are to plan.  I think Mitch's goal was to put a link out there to beginner's, getting familiar with how to do an airport search and such.  For the more serious flyers, tools like Skyvector, RNav, Simroutes, etc are indispensable.  Also, we cannot discount Navigraph, for it's extensive maps and charts.

Yep...newbies are flocking to XP(x)

Oh, I  think Skyvector.com is quite noob friendly. You can just mouse click on any airport and get tons of info on it, sometimes pictures. You can do an airport search by clicking the "Airports" symbol at the top, and every airport in the world is there. Charts are available by clicking on airports as well.  Sure, sectionals are not completely intuitive maps for beginners, but everything you'd ever want to know is there.

The link the OP provided offers only 700 airports. That's nothing!  And I didn't find the interface that intuitive either.

If you want a tool like that, but much, much better, use airnav.com. It also has pictures of the airports usually.

Just trying to help. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Griphos said:

Oh, I  think Skyvector.com is quite noob friendly. You can just mouse click on any airport and get tons of info on it, sometimes pictures. You can do an airport search by clicking the "Airports" symbol at the top, and every airport in the world is there. Charts are available by clicking on airports as well.  Sure, sectionals are not completely intuitive maps for beginners, but everything you'd ever want to know is there.

The link the OP provided offers only 700 airports. That's nothing!  And I didn't find the interface that intuitive either.

If you want a tool like that, but much, much better, use airnav.com. It also has pictures of the airports usually.

Just trying to help. 

Funny how sometimes you tend to overlook the nicer things about something and Skyvector is no different.  I typically would use it when SimBrief couldn't create a flight plan, so I would pop over to Skyvector to create one (really simple too), totally missing the airports feature.  I did a quick search for KIAD and not only do you get the standard airport info, but they have RW SIDs and STARs, which surprised me (nearby airports are at the very bottom :biggrin:).  This place really is one of the preeminent sites to use, if you don't subscribe to Navigraph or Navdatapro.

Yeah, it's a good one.  I use it and airnav when I'm doing flight planning in R/L.  If you don't have a subscription to Foreflight, it's a pretty darned good alternative (minus the moving map on your ipad, of course!).