Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

Thank you to developers that have chosen not to charge for v4 updates

I want to say thanks to all the developers that have chosen to update their existing add-ons in order to work with the new 64-bit version of P3D, and especially for not charging us for the updates.  My intention is not to call out any devs that have decided to charge for such an update, I understand the business reasons for doing so.  Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to those that have chosen this customer first approach.  This topic has come up a few times, I felt like it deserved it's own thread so that we could all express our appreciation.

Edited by n4gix
Corrected "udpates" to "updates"
  • Upvote 14

Fully agree. Even more as I didn't expect it at all.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Yes, THANKS for the very kind gesture. As a FSX user, making the switch to a new sim platform is not going to be as expensive as I thought it would be. 

• Upvote 2

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

7 minutes ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

Yes, THANKS for the very kind gesture. As a FSX user, making the switch to a new sim platform is not going to be as expensive as I thought it would be. 

I think that's a different situation.  If you already have P3D versions of an addon, you won't be charged an upgrade fee to 64 bit.  If you''re upgrading from FSX, there's a charge for P3D versions with some developers

3 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I think that's a different situation.  If you already have P3D versions of an addon, you won't be charged an upgrade fee to 64 bit.  If you''re upgrading from FSX, there's a charge for P3D versions with some developers

Yes, that is the case for some devs. As of right now, I will have to re-purchase Active Sky 16, Cloud Art, and my 3 PMDG aircraft. I will probably only re-purchase the 747 and 777. Orbx, FSDreamTeam and FlightBeam will not charge an upgrade fee for ANY of their customers, regardless for their current platform of choice. Those 3 devs have already saved me a several hundred of dollars.

Knowing that so many of my favorite add-ons will be moving to a 64bit platform is excellent. As for devs like PMDG & HiFi Simulations, I am still very thankful as it is still a very kind gesture even if I will not benefit. 

• Upvote 1

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

Well, you won't be sorry.

Well, this is tricky in my opinion. Devps (even if I do thank them for the free upgrades) are not telling the whole story. They are offering compatibility of some of their products to the upcoming 64-bit P3D in their current status (let's say, "32-bit status" complexity and scope). But to take advantage of the potential of a 64-bit platform there will be upgrades from the same developers that of course will charge money, as they will be re-done, completely or partially, to be more complex under such new 64-bit environment. So the word "free" will not exist anymore when it comes to add-ons adapted to a 64-bit platform that allows more complex graphics, calculations and so on.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

12 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Well, this is tricky in my opinion. Devps (even if I do thank them for the free upgrades) are not telling the whole story. They are offering compatibility of some of their products to the upcoming 64-bit P3D in their current status (let's say, "32-bit status" complexity and scope). But to take advantage of the potential of a 64-bit platform there will be upgrades from the same developers that of course will charge money, as they will be re-done, completely or partially, to be more complex under such new 64-bit environment. So the word "free" will not exist anymore when it comes to add-ons adapted to a 64-bit platform that allows more complex graphics, calculations and so on.

Cheers, Ed

This is true, there will eventually come a new round of 64-bit optimized add-ons and we will likely have to purchase those.  In the meantime, it's nice to be able to keep using our existing add-ons at no additional cost.

• Upvote 1

Also I spelled updates wrong in the title and didn't notice until now.  If a moderator could fix that I would appreciate it.  

+ 1

and i am more than happy to support further new projects addons for p3d and xplane as they come out.

that's OK. I didn't notice the updates spelling either. And yes, it's a very good PR move from the developers too.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

And why should they not charge too.. They cannot keep doing stuff for free through out their life...

14 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Also I spelled updates wrong in the title and didn't notice until now.  If a moderator could fix that I would appreciate it.  

Done!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

23 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

This is true, there will eventually come a new round of 64-bit optimized add-ons and we will likely have to purchase those.  In the meantime, it's nice to be able to keep using our existing add-ons at no additional cost.

Right!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

To be fair, some developers estimated the cost of upgrading to the 64bit version and included that in the price of the P3D v3 versions, so it isn't all from the goodness of their hearts :wink:

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png