Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

[Poll] What's your Prepar3D v4 plans?

[Poll] What's your Prepar3D v4 plans?  

495 members have voted

1. 1. When Prepar3D v4 is released...

• I will purchase/install P3D v4, uninstall P3D v3 and install my add-ons as they become compatible.
    • I will purchase/install P3D v4 but also keep P3D v3 installed, until all/most of my add-ons become compatible.
    • I will not purchase/install P3D v4 until all/most of my add-ons become compatible.
    • I will not purchase/install P3D v4 until a specific add-on becomes compatible.
    • I will not purchase/install P3D v4 until I evaluate from reviews how it performs compared to P3D v3.
    • I will not purchase/install P3D v4, I am satisfied with P3D v3.
    • I will purchase Prepar3D because of P3D v4. This will be my first Prepar3D installation.

Before the announcement of v4 I had the impression that we'd have to wait months to get the core add-ons to work. With great surprise the last two days it seems this will be a much shorter transition. For that reason I took the decision to format my computer and install only v4 on May 30. Being also an XP11 user, I'll spend some more time there meanwhile. 
My only real big loss for the moment will be the Majestic Q400, which as it seems it will take more months until it works in v4. 

Now, while we wait for May 30, have you decided what you'll do?

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Ssd space is limited andso I will swap in v4 and take my addons as they are so updated.  Sick of oom issues.

• Upvote 3

spacer.png

I will not purchase P3D V4 and stick to XP11 for now :)

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

SSD space is limited, so I'm ALL IN on v4. Orbx, ASN, A2A and ChasePlane will be ready for me immediately, and that's all I need. Doesn't hurt that the new (released today) Milviz Beaver will have a free v4 update soon.

Bugs and growing pains are expected but I'm not stressed about it.

• Upvote 1

I'm still using FSX and have only been waiting for P3D V4 to make the jump. Building a new system at the same time... this is going to be fun.

• Upvote 5

I will purchase P3Dv4 as soon as it comes out, but wait to install it until after most of my payware addons work.

Make an option for simmers crossing over from other platforms. I am leaving FSX and moving over to P3Dv4. Once purchase P3D, I am uninstalling FSX and gradually adding my add-ons to v4 as they become available.

Note: this will be the first version of P3D I have ever used.

• Upvote 2

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

2 minutes ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

Make an option for simmers crossing over from other platforms. I am leaving FSX and moving over to P3Dv4. Once purchase P3D, I am uninstalling FSX and gradually adding my add-ons to v4 as they become available.

Note: this will be the first version of P3D I have ever used.

Sure, thanks! That's a very valid point. I'm adding it now.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

What I see so far is a very useful long term need being addressed in the 64bit conversion, but very little else that appeals to me over what I have now w/ V3.   There is a new GUI--check.   A few new features in the GUI that don't apply yet, but apparently may in the future as content developers start implementing these, so at this moment, they are 'vapor-feature checkboxes'--check.  They restored a critically useful feature in FSX that they removed when they released P3D many years ago, that would be the ability to access all settings prior to launching a flight.   I'm glad they finally restored this functionality, but this is not something I wanted to have to pay for--again.

I know this sounds a little sour, but I'm not really sour on what they have done and if I were in the market as a new simmer yes, I'd jump in, but I'm not.  I have yet to see an OOM in V3 and I know I'm not alone on this, and I'm major doubtful there will be meaningful performance enhancements of the type that really matter to me.    What really matters?  Having the CPU not get overburdened upon final approach to a big terminal--that's really all that's not already great in V3.   Right now I have to stop flying and degrade scenery sliders sometimes to complete a landing.   Improving the 11 y/o default ATC would have been huge for me.  The default ATC isn't half bad but spending resources to fix its niggles would have had me wiping V3 and moving on.  Getting the LOD out further is nice, but for me a low priority compared to what I just mentioned.  

Now if raw performance is meaningfully improved, I might jump on board.  Got to have FSCaptain and the lovely Dash 8 as well.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I already refund my P3D V3, so I'm all in V4 now.

I have a 500GB SSD which I thought was enough for P3D but apparently I was wrong, I only have 50GB left when using V3.

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

I never buy anything in this domain until it has been released long enough to have all the gripes found and all the hot fixes, revs, updates, etc. issued.

• Upvote 1

I'll run v3.4 and v4 until all the products I care about are available for v4.  With OOMs no longer being a concern I figure my next bottleneck will be performance as I turn the autogen sliders up so that cities don't look like the August 7 videos of Hiroshima with only random buildings standing here and there.  If I see reports that performance is better with HT I'll probably replace my nearly 5-year old i5-3570k (4.5GHz) with something like an i7-7700k.  

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

Well none of the poll question apply to me because I currently do not use  any FS. However, I do plan to use V4 probably exclusively. In the past I had a home theater setup and used many different controllers depending on which aircraft I was flying but for my impending new V4 setup I will be going exclusively VR. Ill Probably wait for the HTC Vive 2 to come out but if that takes to long I'll try to pick up a used HTC Vive and live with the lower resolution. My eyesight is not what it used to be. (I can tell you that going from being a RWP with 20/20 to not being able to see your noise in front of you face is a shock to the system and boy does it make a huge difference when you are flying a glider). Also I don't think that using ergonomically accurate controls matters as much in VR as it does when you are sitting in front of a large screen because you cannot see you actual hands and feet in you peripheral vision the way you do with a screen. So ill be sticking with my trusty old Microsoft Sidewinder 2 to fly everything whether its a yoke or stick:biggrin: Of course I will have to update my system to the latest and greatest at some point too. But it will be interesting to see how my old 4770k and 980ti handle version 4. Of course I will also enough my 3 month free trial of V4 before I buy it! Everyone seems to be forgetting that little gold nugget:laugh:

I think I will wait, I really don't want to re download orbx airports and regions again (not the best internet connection)

Didn't vote, my option isn't on the list. :happy: I will keep a close eye on P3D v4 but for now I will await all the goodies that Orbx has promised us today for Aerofly FS 2 this year (large photoreal area's with Orbx quality sounds better to me than any landclass product with generic textures). Throw in the detailed Dash that IPACS is working on and I'll be happy for a while. But as I said, I will closely follow what will happen with v4.