Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

From the typing hands of JV over at Orbx...

Let the games, begin!

'

From JV's keyboard;

Some of the large area regional projects we are working on for AeroflyFS2 are going to blow your minds and elevate the sim to a new level.

We have new tech incoming which will massively streamline production of vast photoreal areas so there's going to be a whole new 200fps world to discover.

2017 is going to be epic!'

Hmmm,

just don't tell about it to PC market SSD brands.... Soon you'll be requiring 1,5 TB SSD disks...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Hmmm,

just don't tell about it to PC market SDD brands.... Soon you'll be requiring 1,5 TB SSD disks...

My 16 TB's of storage capacity, are already installed on top of my tower...and are READY for action!  Let's fill er up, boys! :biggrin: Let the games, BEGIN!

Have to admit, I would like to see the US southwest regions from Orbx!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

If that means photoreal textures mixed with well laid-out buildings and roads, plus traffic, essentially an enhanced version of OrthoXP scenery, then I'm almost in heaven!

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I've never been a fan of ORBX, I prefer real life photoscenery. However, if they are going to be offering photoreal scenery sometime soon, hopefully for the UK, then I'll be very interested.

Incedentley, can anyone explane photoreal as opposed to photoscenery please?

Thanks

Phil

• Upvote 1

Photoreal generally implies the building textures are real photos taken on site. And/Or the aerial image is the actual area rather than the landclass approach of using a generic sample of textures placed to represent the area. 

Another question: Does photoscenery also include seasonal changes?

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

25 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

Another question: Does photoscenery also include seasonal changes?

It can, if you want to set aside the additional storage necessary for that to occur. There are also some possible procedural techniques.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

It can, if you want to set aside the additional storage necessary for that to occur. There are also some possible procedural techniques.......

It can...? I suppose this depends on the source material: isn't most source material not summer only? I have never seen winter photoreal. Well, I've seen it but those were textures edited with Photoshop to look like winter and it looked awful. And concerning the procedural techniques: there are some but not in Aerofly. 

So in short my answer to speedyTC would be: no, photoscenery usually does not include seasonal changes and it certainly doesn't in Aerofly FS 2. :happy:

12 hours ago, philmurfin said:

Incedentley, can anyone explane photoreal as opposed to photoscenery please?

Thanks

Phil

The words photoreal and photoscenery are interchangeable.

4 hours ago, J van E said:

12 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

It can...? I suppose this depends on the source material: isn't most source material not summer only? I have never seen winter photoreal. Well, I've seen it but those were textures edited with Photoshop to look like winter and it looked awful.

I actually have seen it a couple of times..... Honest!

http://simultools.com/simtiles

http://www.aerosoft.com/us/fsxp3d/flight-simulator-x/sceneries/208/switzerland-professional

Features:

• Premiere: the first photorealistic scenery that includes winter textures!
  • Also unique: Night textures
  • Autogen buildings and forests
  • The new Switzerland Professional for FSX and for FS2004

H8TUGw.jpg

qyLx8l.jpg

http://www.megascenery.com/vol2-us-full.htm

dXCqdT.jpg

2Tg4Lx.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

47 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I actually have seen it a couple of times..... Honest!

Yes, me too, but as I said these are processed textures. These aren't images taken during winter but regular summer shots 'photoshopped' into other seasons or times. It can work but it's not realistic. You get weird effects no matter what.

33 minutes ago, J van E said:

Yes, me too, but as I said these are processed textures. These aren't images taken during winter but regular summer shots 'photoshopped' into other seasons or times. It can work but it's not realistic. You get weird effects no matter what.

But what does "realistic" mean? :emu_melk:

And this is a problem we keep running into with flight simulation with some claiming "close" (whether we are talking about flight models or whatever) and others saying "garbage" just about every single day.

I find landclass completely unrealistic in almost every way, (especially with highways stretching across football fields qualifying as a very weird effect) so is photo processing less "realistic" than that?

Its gotta be a relative term.

I actually found Switzerland professional very enjoyable back in the day, especially considering the landclass based alternatives.......

Devons rig

Haha, yes, true, I think we will have to learn to live with a few compromises for quite a few years still. :happy:

46 minutes ago, J van E said:

Haha, yes, true, I think we will have to learn to live with a few compromises for quite a few years still. :happy:

The strange part is when FSX was first released I was in awe. The roads and other things didn't bother me at all because back then it was pretty much state of the art.

Now, more than a decade later, even with multiple new coats of paint....... Not so much. (sigh)

Sometimes I'm not sure if it's Aeroflys visuals that catch me... or that framerate; which is like a dream come true after years and years of messing with CFG files and new video cards and just never ever getting there.

I think I've been spoiled, and now, when I see 20 or 30 fps I just want to gently lean my head against the table and cry a bit! :laugh:

(And I know somebody is going to tell me 30fps is fine. And I know I'm going to immediately think "8 Track tape wasn't bad, either.")

Yes, I'm probably evil.

Infinite diversity in infinite combinations...... We all like different stuff.

Devons rig