Sign in to follow this  
FlyingGoblin

PFC Saab Yoke (Desktop), poor roll resolution

Hi Mike,

Definitely sounds like it has an issue to me.

If anything these yoke's are certainly not "sloppy", particularly on the flare pitch control for landing. That's where i think they make an enormous difference over anything like a Saitek or CH (both of which Iv'e owned). I was never happy with the grabbiness of the plastic yokes & the PFC totally eliminated any of that type of response I was getting from them. Having logged some 300 plus hours over many years as a private pilot I really am happy with the way the PFC felt compared to real life (as much as possible for a desktop yoke). You should be able to get smooth touch downs with it.

If you had to let go & use something else that's not right. Did you let the guys at PFC know this?

Can understand you wanting to upgrade the boards but really you shouldn't have to.

That reminds me, time I chased those buggers up again, this time with a cc to sales.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

In most calibration algorithms there is a way to set the delta value, which is the smallest amount of raw variation of the input to Windows that will trigger an update message to your application. The purpose of this is to limit the update rate to the application for performance reasons.The behaviour you describe is consistent with having a large delta value selected. This will quantize the input regardless of how high-resolution your raw A/D convertor is. This may be something worth exploring. Where to look depends on how you are calibrating. You can do it in FSUIPC on the axis assignment screen. It is possible that you are running multiple layers of software, so if you have some PFC driver running you may need to look there too.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Mark, that sounds very reasonable.  I don't have any PFC drivers installed, I was just letting the windows HID driver do everything.  I didn't know I had access to such a thing in FSUIPC.  Will definitely take a look when I get a chance.

Ross, I did tell the PFC tech my experience, but after he went through the cal routine, he saw that the cross hairs were going through full deflection and that was good enough for him.  He didn't seem to care that there were obvious discrete steps.  He made it my problem by saying, "that's how it's supposed to work and I'm sorry if it doesn't meet your expectations."  And that was the end of that.

I think I'll send another email to them and describe the problem again and cc sales as you suggest.

It sounds like the problem is a confliction in the OP's setup.  I have a USB PFC yoke and throttle quadrant.  I run the yoke through the SIM and the throttle quadrant through FSUIPC.  I would make sure there are no yoke commands in the FSUIPC.ini and run the yoke through the SIM or completely remove FSUIPC from the SIM until the problem is resolved. 

I have done business with PFC for several years and all my problems were almost always self induced.. If PFC told me the yoke was working correctly than I would look to interference with the yoke from an outside source such as FSUIPC or a confliction within the SIM.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Hi Wilhelm,

I appreciate you're trying to help.  I do not disagree with you.  The problem could be in my setup and I'm open to suggestions.  Note that in my original post I've also been trying to use the Yoke in X-Plane as well.  The only thing between the sim and the yoke in that case is the windows driver.  Also, I tried to use the yoke in P3D v4 with no FSUIPC as well, and I get the same poor performance.

I wish I had had a good experience with PFC as you did, but I did not.  They have not been eager to make me happy with the yoke.  For a $1,200 purchase, I expected better support.

Hi Mike,

I was also using the yoke in P3Dv4 whilst testing prior to FSUIPC5 & had no issues.

I always turn the default controls off however once FSUIPC is available as clashes can occur. But as mentioned in all the years I've had the unit I rarely bothered calibrating it as it's been fine without.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Hello.  Sorry to trouble you. Did you ever get this sorted. I have a saab pfc desktop yoke and my roll is bad too. Just wondering if you went ahead and installed the aftermarket joystick boards and what the results were.   I think I may have to do the same.   Many thanks Steve