Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

KMOB (Mobile)

So is this something you did yourself?

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Curious to know where this scenery came from, as I live in Mobile, Alabama!  But only have FSX.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

He made it himself using Ortho4XP. It's pretty easy to do in fact.

I've started making some tiles in Washington state, which is my favourite area to fly in P3D/ORBX. It looks fantastic, but I miss matching autogen (I use overlays from the default scenery). I'd also really love to see some of the classic GA strips ported over to X-Plane. 

Out of curiousity, how much disk space would the entire continental US at ZL16 take up? 

5 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

So is this something you did yourself?

Yes, as Tony stated, I used Ortho4XP, and created the photoreal myself.

5 hours ago, Mike777 said:

Curious to know where this scenery came from, as I live in Mobile, Alabama!  But only have FSX.

Mike

Please see the other thread to 1rst Flightsimguy. :)

1 hour ago, Ralf Maylin said:

I have to start doing that too.

Hi Ralf, first off, let me tell you how respected, you are by myself, as a fellow simmer, and that being stated, I'd like to share with you where I am today, in flight simming, as a result of my total commitment and immersion and...I'd guess to say, 'conversion' to Ortho'izing every square mile that I have flown over, and frequently (30 days of flight sim time, or less) in flight sim time.

Ralf, I am presently in a flight over the State of South Carolina, and at 5,500 feet ASL, between Myrtle Beach, and Charleston, SC.  My wife and I frequent the strand, as we vacation quite a bit in either Myrtle Beach, or Charleston...as we are both Civil War buffs (we both love American history, and frequently travel to sites of this great nation, that are a cornerstone of the shaping of it, historically, and politically....) and I have to tell you...that today, in seeing absolutely VERBATIM, every highway, every street, every landmark, even the Gay Dolphin on the main course in South Myrtle Beach, and did I see its blue rooftop!!!!----and am flying over with such glee that my laughter and sheer joy, brought my wife into the den, and when she stood over my shoulder, SHE said.."Hey, wait a minute...where is that?!?!?  I know that area...is that Myrtle Beach?!?!?!?!?". I said' "Yep...ain't this a killer...look, there is the Gay Dolphin, and also there...look...the condo where we stay!"

She actually pulled a chair over (she has NEVER done this)...just come in, and looked, and left...saying I need to cut the grass...or whatever...BUT...to actually go into the kitchen....bring back a coffee for me and her...and SIT DOWN AND VIEW THE FLIGHT WITH ME...was a milestone being made.

I said,"...why your focused interest now, hon?" and she stated simply..."because I know where you are flying over...it looks real...like I am really in a plane doing this...and now it's fun, not just some cartoon looking houses and streets. I could never figure out what held your interest like this has over the years, but maybe I'd like to try this..."

H.S.!

I said; "....why not right now?...(I was in the Cessna 182)....put XP11 on pause,  had her sit in the pilot's chair, I moved to her chair, and I said; " you don't need much up or down on the yoke, to keep her at level flight, hon...".  

"Ok, ok...I can figure this out...move back a little, you're making me nervous..."   I backed off, Ralf...and was simply sitting there with the largest smile on my face ever.  My wife was now into flight simming, because it now made visual sense to her...she KNEW where she was flying, because we haunt that particular area, and have taken a few 20 minute pay-through-the-nose flights to see it from the air.  She knew where she was....!!!

That did it for me.  Here was my wife, giggling, and POINTING OUT landmarks, highways, roadways, marinas, piers, Ralf....and I was smiling and pointing to the screen along with her....

I made my decision right then and there.   I am devoting myself mainly to XP11 or greater, and am going to Ortho-ize at z17/z19 the entire United States, the entire Carribean, and then parts of Central America, South America, and parts of the European Continent, that takes my fancy, like for instance Scandinavia, Germany, Italy, France, etc.

To have my wife sitting there, FLYING  the Cessna 182...and giggling with glee, like a young girl put me over the Ortho4XP 'top'.  Wow...wow...and woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

So...back to MY taking over the yoke of that Cessna 182 (and this is another story completely in how flying over verbatim landscape of the real deal down 'there'...has made me switch to high-wing, 120 knot cruise, at 3,500 to 5,500 AGL flights) in such as a Cessna, etc...has totally in my head, transformed my prerequisites for future flight simulation.  

Ralf...to fly over Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this morning, at 3,500 feet...and KNOW, every government pier, see and know every rooftop, of all the hotels and condominiums  along the strand...to see the REAL BEACH, and its wide depth...to see breakers on the beach, that were captured in the satellite imagery, and so incredibly created with fidelity, to a scenery tile by the amazing program, Ortho4XP... to see the Coastal Canal, with BOATS, piers, in-land marinas dredged out by the condominium projects...ALL THERE...even with boats in the slips....is simply too much!

So...my money is going to be spent on a succession of 4 and 6 TB USB SuperSpeed capable (USB 3.1) Western Digital My Book's, that will be needed to convert XP11 for North America, to the new; Veritus North America, from ocean to ocean, from Mexico, to Canada!

Cheers, my friend, from one long-time simmer, myself, and a new flight simulation enthusiast...my dear, lovely, wife!  BTW, her name is Diane..., Diane the new XP11 flight simmer says, "Hello Ralf!"

I wonder if I just you-know-what'ed myself, as far as having now to book 'flight time' on the computer with the other simm'er in the house....  Yeah, Ralf...perhaps I did...but that is ok...for I love to hear her giggle with glee.  What a gal!

Perhaps she now will 'GET IT', about why this is such a computer addiction...(and it will make it supremely easier) to convince her how 'we' need a new graphic card, for 'our' flight simming endeavors...  Yeah...that, too!:biggrin:

Ses

• Upvote 2

BTW, Ralf...with the latest version of XP11, I am now easily running XP, at the following settings...and you should see South Carolina, AT these settings...mind blowing!

Untitled.png

3 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Hi Ralf, first off, let me tell you how respected, you are by myself, as a fellow simmer, and that being stated, I'd like to share with you where I am today, in flight simming, as a result of my total commitment and immersion and...I'd guess to say, 'conversion' to Ortho'izing every square mile that I have flown over, and frequently (30 days of flight sim time, or less) in flight sim time.

Ralf, I am presently in a flight over the State of South Carolina, and at 5,500 feet ASL, between Myrtle Beach, and Charleston, SC.  My wife and I frequent the strand, as we vacation quite a bit in either Myrtle Beach, or Charleston...as we are both Civil War buffs (we both love American history, and frequently travel to sites of this great nation, that are a cornerstone of the shaping of it, historically, and politically....) and I have to tell you...that today, in seeing absolutely VERBATIM, every highway, every street, every landmark, even the Gay Dolphin on the main course in South Myrtle Beach, and did I see its blue rooftop!!!!----and am flying over with such glee that my laughter and sheer joy, brought my wife into the den, and when she stood over my shoulder, SHE said.."Hey, wait a minute...where is that?!?!?  I know that area...is that Myrtle Beach?!?!?!?!?". I said' "Yep...ain't this a killer...look, there is the Gay Dolphin, and also there...look...the condo where we stay!"

She actually pulled a chair over (she has NEVER done this)...just come in, and looked, and left...saying I need to cut the grass...or whatever...BUT...to actually go into the kitchen....bring back a coffee for me and her...and SIT DOWN AND VIEW THE FLIGHT WITH ME...was a milestone being made.

I said,"...why your focused interest now, hon?" and she stated simply..."because I know where you are flying over...it looks real...like I am really in a plane doing this...and now it's fun, not just some cartoon looking houses and streets. I could never figure out what held your interest like this has over the years, but maybe I'd like to try this..."

H.S.!

I said; "....why not right now?...(I was in the Cessna 182)....put XP11 on pause,  had her sit in the pilot's chair, I moved to her chair, and I said; " you don't need much up or down on the yoke, to keep her at level flight, hon...".  

"Ok, ok...I can figure this out...move back a little, you're making me nervous..."   I backed off, Ralf...and was simply sitting there with the largest smile on my face ever.  My wife was now into flight simming, because it now made visual sense to her...she KNEW where she was flying, because we haunt that particular area, and have taken a few 20 minute pay-through-the-nose flights to see it from the air.  She knew where she was....!!!

That did it for me.  Here was my wife, giggling, and POINTING OUT landmarks, highways, roadways, marinas, piers, Ralf....and I was smiling and pointing to the screen along with her....

I made my decision right then and there.   I am devoting myself mainly to XP11 or greater, and am going to Ortho-ize at z17/z19 the entire United States, the entire Carribean, and then parts of Central America, South America, and parts of the European Continent, that takes my fancy, like for instance Scandinavia, Germany, Italy, France, etc.

To have my wife sitting there, FLYING  the Cessna 182...and giggling with glee, like a young girl put me over the Ortho4XP 'top'.  Wow...wow...and woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

So...back to MY taking over the yoke of that Cessna 182 (and this is another story completely in how flying over verbatim landscape of the real deal down 'there'...has made me switch to high-wing, 120 knot cruise, at 3,500 to 5,500 AGL flights) in such as a Cessna, etc...has totally in my head, transformed my prerequisites for future flight simulation.  

Ralf...to fly over Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this morning, at 3,500 feet...and KNOW, every government pier, see and know every rooftop, of all the hotels and condominiums  along the strand...to see the REAL BEACH, and its wide depth...to see breakers on the beach, that were captured in the satellite imagery, and so incredibly created with fidelity, to a scenery tile by the amazing program, Ortho4XP... to see the Coastal Canal, with BOATS, piers, in-land marinas dredged out by the condominium projects...ALL THERE...even with boats in the slips....is simply too much!

So...my money is going to be spent on a succession of 4 and 6 TB USB SuperSpeed capable (USB 3.1) Western Digital My Book's, that will be needed to convert XP11 for North America, to the new; Veritus North America, from ocean to ocean, from Mexico, to Canada!

Cheers, my friend, from one long-time simmer, myself, and a new flight simulation enthusiast...my dear, lovely, wife!  BTW, her name is Diane..., Diane the new XP11 flight simmer says, "Hello Ralf!"

I wonder if I just you-know-what'ed myself, as far as having now to book 'flight time' on the computer with the other simm'er in the house....  Yeah, Ralf...perhaps I did...but that is ok...for I love to hear her giggle with glee.  What a gal!

Perhaps she now will 'GET IT', about why this is such a computer addiction...(and it will make it supremely easier) to convince her how 'we' need a new graphic card, for 'our' flight simming endeavors...  Yeah...that, too!:biggrin:

Ses

You are in for it now, if she gets to simming, you will be in the poor house in 3 weeks. :laugh::gaul:

1 hour ago, wb5okj said:

You are in for it now, if she gets to simming, you will be in the poor house in 3 weeks. :laugh::gaul:

"She already has come back into my 'man cave'..(can't call it that, anymore...sheesh), and kicked me outta the chair.  I had her take up a Business jet...and I'm sure the neighbors heard her hoops and hollers. She said; 'Wow..this goes much faster than that Cessna this morning...I LIKE THIS!"....

Yeah..I did myself a disservice this morning...and too late to correct things... 

Warning guys...do NOT show your wives, or girlfriends, what Ortho inside XP11 looks like at z17 or greater, unless you want that time away from the computer to cut the grass, paint the house...you know....

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Bump for Ralf...

Cheers,

Mitch

Many thanks for sharing that story, Mitch. I'm convinced. I feel where you are. So often I showed my wife the "world" when I was flying. She likes what I'm doing but she never stays more than a minute or two. Now I know how to change that. I have a busy (but also nice) weekend, next week I'll download everything and start watching the videos. 

And yes, a husband likes to share his good things. That's why I fly on a notebook. When my wife watches TV I can at least stay and fly in the same room. But there's always a free seat in the cockpit.

Thanks Mitch.

3 hours ago, Ralf Maylin said:

Many thanks for sharing that story, Mitch. I'm convinced. I feel where you are. So often I showed my wife the "world" when I was flying. She likes what I'm doing but she never stays more than a minute or two. Now I know how to change that. I have a busy (but also nice) weekend, next week I'll download everything and start watching the videos. 

And yes, a husband likes to share his good things. That's why I fly on a notebook. When my wife watches TV I can at least stay and fly in the same room. But there's always a free seat in the cockpit.

Thanks Mitch.

Most very welcome, Ralf!  Might I seriously suggest for your first storage solution, a W.D. My Book 6TB (minimum...4TB) to start you off.  I have generated to date, 1.75 TB's of ortho.  I would not suggest you decide to 'conserve' by converting at Z16 zoom factor.  It frankly, compared to z17 and higher, looks terrible.  Blurry, your mind spends too many cycles trying to figure out what the colored blotches and squares are, and the sharp, crisp XP11 autogen, REALLY highlights how blurry the underlay is.  The difference between just one Z-level higher...is like visually 10 times higher, in acuity.  So...save yourself some time, I suggest you ortho (if your notebook can handle it...) at z17, with the custom setting in the Global .cfg file, to 'True' whereby you can set up a higher (in my case the highest, at z19) that encapsulates all my custom, and Gateway airports with z19, for a distance of 2 KM's out from their boundaries.  To shoot a final approach, or for that matter, a rotate and climb-out over z19 from the airport as you glance below, or over the wing...is worth every minute/hour of your conversion time.  You'll make mistakes, there is a slight learning curve, but once over that...tiles pile on, like ketchup on chips...!

Please read my 'blog' in the Scenery Add-on, about making sure that, if use Batch Mode, (and you will...), that you go over each tile Batch-generated once more with Step 3, to ensure, that Ortho4XP has in fact downloaded ALL the satellite pictures it needs,to convert the downloads into a viable Ortho Tile.  I have had many, many occurrences that a second pass, picked up 3, 10,30 MORE files that were not downloaded on the primary Step 3 Tile Building 'pass'.  I tell you how to do this, easily, by my experience with it, in those 'blog' posts.  Stuff like that.  Once you are totally up and running...you'll be running to the local computer source, for another 4/6 TB My Book USB3.(x) in a month or so.  I have 16 TB's now available for my continent conversion, and as stated with a 1/6 of the U.S. converted, at z17/19, have generated closing in, on 2TB's of data.

Is it all worth the time AND EXPENSE to fly over Ortho with XP11?!?....well, I'm right now sitting at the kitchen table,  and my wife is sitting at the computer, vocalizing each time she does something with the Eclipse G.A. jet.  That is her favorite to date, and she truly is a fast learner at this. I did say there was one proviso...that she not even THINK of taking real-lessons...(heck..to save money for us and the family, growing up...I NEVER DID!) She can sim all she wants...but the 'RL lesson money', will stay in the bank for those trips down South to escape snowflakes.  That's the deal...or well, that's the deal, I'm going to hopefully convince her of...  I am worried with all the noise coming from the Den..."Hon...HON!  Come here...look at THIS!  Wow...I see now why you like this...THIS IS FUN!"

Yesterday, I shot myself in the foot...and badly so. Look, as I limp over towards the Den....ouch!"

Cheers,

Shot-in-the-foot-Mitch, and totally-into-it, giggling wife, signing off...

Post Edit: Ralf, and any other reader, this is my usage/creation/conversion, suggestion, that if you also wish to 'convert' the total U.S., or even merely States of the U.S.of A, or any other country thereof, that you might want to think of this creation strategy.

From experience;

1. For any VFR flight path that you frequent all the time, between your departure and arrival destinations, that you convert the 'pathway below the wings...' at z17/z19, at any AGL flight between rotation, and 12,000 feet AGL. You will still see acute detail at z17 as high!!!---as 12,000 AGL!

2. For all flights starting at 15,000 AGL and then through all the standards FL's...180 and up, I suggest that you convert THOSE flight paths/plans at z16.  z16 is still better than the plausible default XP10 or 11 scenery scrub.

So, for all my VFR flight paths, at or below 12,000 cruise, z17/z19, and all commercial Big Iron flight paths/plans, are over z16 ortho tiles...with the exception of only creating a z17/19 tile 'on top' of the departure and arrival airport with an extended z19  or airport radius, of 5 KM's out, but, between those two high detail airports, arrival and departure, at any FL...flying over z16. That will conserve storage space, as well as speed up conversion times and your bandwidth cost.  I for one, in my deciding to go completely sim-ortho, have upgraded my bandwidth plan, from a download capped GB set limit, to a totally unlimited bandwidth, all-you-can-eat plan. Frankly, if you are going to start converting on a mass scale, you might want to also factor this 'move' in.  It has turned out to be a wonderful decision, not only for tile creating, but for HD movies, all of it.  You can burn through even a high-level capped monthly download limit, in no time, especially creating gorgeous scenery at z17 and z19 zoom factors.  Again, a suggestion to the reader.

All of my M.O. methodology for Ortho simming, has worked out really well, and looks fantastic for the 'immersive eye'.  Again 'plan' suggestions, that have worked wonderfully, for this simmer.

Ses