Sign in to follow this  
jt233

Looking for repaint.

Hello I'm just curious if there are any repaints of the new PMDG 747 in a military grey like color scheme or unmarked white plane without the Boeing logo. I want to simulate doing a secret test flight or something similar and want a good livery to fit the flight.

Thanks

Jason Thiers

There's a blank white livery in the Avsim library.

Sean Campbell 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Military Grey is actually a lot harder than it seems.  The paint used by the US DOD has a matte look and doesn't reflect much light.  I started one and even got the reflection down to an appropriate reflection, but I stopped developing it because I didn't like how it was coming out.  The Grey just doesn't look right on the Queen.  Maybe I'll look at it again at some point but theres a lot that needs to be done for an Air Force Grey.

As to the white....why don't you just get PMDG's repaint kit.  It comes in white.  There are free programs out there that allow editing Photoshop files.  I've used Gimp before.

https://beebom.com/best-free-photoshop-alternatives/

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I was trying to do a RNZAF 747M as well, and ran into the same issue. Military grey is hard to do well unless you code the matte look into the actual model.

On 2017-5-28 at 11:53 AM, John_Tavendale said:

It's easy to get a matte look. Lower the opacity of the colour a touch and edit the alpha on the spec maps.

I even tried removing the spec maps, but this probably defaults to something - this was a 20 minute exercise before I had to go out so may look at it again, thanks John.