7 hours ago, mikeymike said:

I see atm i only have 100gb used out of 250 

Fsdt

Global 

As16

Asca

Rex

And thats with a fair amount of addons

Dont really purchase too many airport addons as i wouldnt have time to fly to all.

You need to get some photoscenery!

ive got a 1tb ssd for the sim and a 4tb western digital black hdd for scenery, and they're both full! Going to get a 6tb WD to give myself some room to grow.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

8 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

You need to get some photoscenery!

ive got a 1tb ssd for the sim and a 4tb western digital black hdd for scenery, and they're both full! Going to get a 6tb WD to give myself some room to grow.

Holy!!!really ? That much room needed. This hobby is gonna send me broke lol i have 2 3tb hdd atm

1tb ssd aint cheap

Let's wait to see what LM say after release.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

3 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Holy!!!really ? That much room needed. This hobby is gonna send me broke lol i have 2 3tb hdd atm

1tb ssd aint cheap

I wouldn't say 'needed'. A terabyte of total space is probably plenty for most people. I just like photoscenery, and that can take up a fair bit of space. I'd guess I have about 7 terabytes of it at the moment, as I have a lot sitting on external discs awaiting a new proper internal HDD.

Storage space is not really that expensive any more - I remember paying $400 plus to upgrade a laptop to a 1 Gigabyte drive, and Canon selling 16Mb flash drives for around $500 (which stored almost two RAW photos from my 1Ds!). A 1-2 terabyte SSD is pretty cheap by comparison.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

With regards to hard drive space, I am just curious as to how P3Dv4 will manage add-ons. I am an FSX user who has never used P3D before so I do not know how the platform is structured. I saw on a video (SkyLoungeTV I believe) that v4 will install add-ons into a folder in your C drive's documents folder. If this is the case, a 120 or even 250 gb SSD may not be enough depending on the amount of add-ons you own. 

Does that make sense? Or am I think this through all wrong. In FSX:SE, I have all my sim files on one drive while my operating system (Windows 10) is on a 120gb SSD. Will I be able to have a similar structure with P3Dv4 where I can dedicate a hard drive to all things related to my sim.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

On 5/26/2017 at 10:42 PM, 331BK said:

So the 8 gb of my 1080 are enough

Not for TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, otherwise yes for settings you adjust via UI.  For TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 I'm almost always above 8GB VRAM usage.

Cheers, Rob.

On 2017-05-26 at 11:12 PM, CaribbeanCLANK said:

I was thinking of a 34" with an aspect ratio of 21:9. Not sure which resolution I wanna go with....2560x1080 or 3440x1440.

I'd highly recommend going with the 1440p monitor, especially at 34". You'll notice a lot less aliasing ("jaggies"), everything will look sharper and more detailed (obviously). I'm running 4K at 27" and the clarity is so beautiful (and helpful): tiny trees atop mountain ridges are nicely defined at a distance, autogen at a distance looks wonderful, airports are easier to locate and see details in when approaching, cockpit gauges and labels are much more readable without zooming/leaning in (Track IR), all significantly better compared to my 1440p 27" monitor. I think 34" 1080p will be very pixelated, and your monitor will be with you for a while, through GPU upgrades, so you won't regret it down the road. You'll only wish you had a 4K ultrawide! I know I do.

9 hours ago, xrobp said:

I'd highly recommend going with the 1440p monitor, especially at 34". You'll notice a lot less aliasing ("jaggies"), everything will look sharper and more detailed (obviously). I'm running 4K at 27" and the clarity is so beautiful (and helpful): tiny trees atop mountain ridges are nicely defined at a distance, autogen at a distance looks wonderful, airports are easier to locate and see details in when approaching, cockpit gauges and labels are much more readable without zooming/leaning in (Track IR), all significantly better compared to my 1440p 27" monitor. I think 34" 1080p will be very pixelated, and your monitor will be with you for a while, through GPU upgrades, so you won't regret it down the road. You'll only wish you had a 4K ultrawide! I know I do.

Appreciate the advice. From what I have seen online a GTX 1070 will be able to handle 3440x1440. And 34" seems like a good size...there are a few ultrawide monitors that are a bit bigger but very expensive. And 29" seems a bit small for that aspect ratio.

• Upvote 1

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

10 hours ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

Appreciate the advice. From what I have seen online a GTX 1070 will be able to handle 3440x1440. And 34" seems like a good size...there are a few ultrawide monitors that are a bit bigger but very expensive. And 29" seems a bit small for that aspect ratio.

Yeah, I think the 1070 would be the next-best choice, if you're not able to go with a 1080 for whatever reason, unless Nvidia release a 1070Ti. I agree, 29" ultrawide may seem small (in the vertical dimension, particularly). For flightsims, it seems to me that bigger is better!

• Upvote 1