Sign in to follow this  
Hoang

Is this a good time to purchase ORBX regions?

Hi everyone,

Before I really want to get the regions from ORBX but due to the VAS problem I chose not to. Now with the P3D V4 coming up and ORBX is on big sale, I want to ask if the regions affect the performance in your setup when using FSX or P3D V3? Planning on purchase PNW, NoCal and SoCal

I have had very good performance using complex addons together (FSDT KLAX/ Flightbeam KSFO with PMDGs/FSLabs) so I would assume I can use them with the regions.

Thank you,
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Hoang makes some good points, would like to know the same.

Eric 

Hoang,

If you're on the fence about it, I think it would be hard to pass up the sale price right now.  I definitely prefer the look of SCA and NCA when I'm around LAX and SFO but, like most things, it's personal preference.  My problem with Orbx regions (combined with the high-end airports and autogen above Sparse) has been VAS usage more than performance.  With the VAS problem going away I may find that performance is more of an issue.  But your system specs look like they're about as good to go as go can get, performance-wise.  It's too bad the Orbx sale ends 2 days after v4 is released.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

I think you are going to be fine. I have may regions and airports and have been able to find satisfying settings with a i7-3930 and GTX 680. I'd LOVE to have your rig about now.

Most likely I will build a new box around the holidays this year. 

Interesting question. Coming from FSX, I stayed away from Orbx regions. I do own a few of their FTX global airports but for performance reasons I was always afraid of what negative effects installing regions might have had on my sim. 

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

Guest JustanotherPilot

I ask myself 2 questions before I buy a product on sale. 1. Can I use it now and 2. Is it a bargain. If I answer yes to at least one question I buy it, if it's yes to both questions, it's a bonus.

steve

Hi Hoang,

I guess it's a good time to purchase it now. I have their Oceania regions installed It runs smoothly on my PC. Well, besides OOM I didn't see a performance hit. Anyway, performance is depending on the specs, settings etc. You have your specs listed in the signature I assumed? If I am right, you should be fine. 

Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

1 hour ago, LRW said:

Hoang,

If you're on the fence about it, I think it would be hard to pass up the sale price right now.  I definitely prefer the look of SCA and NCA when I'm around LAX and SFO but, like most things, it's personal preference.  My problem with Orbx regions (combined with the high-end airports and autogen above Sparse) has been VAS usage more than performance.  With the VAS problem going away I may find that performance is more of an issue.  But your system specs look like they're about as good to go as go can get, performance-wise.  It's too bad the Orbx sale ends 2 days after v4 is released.

Why is it too bad? Too bad would be if it ended BEFORE it releases and ypu couldn't try it at least... you have plenty of time to try one and buy more if needed/wanted. 

Well I just took the opportunity to pick up Southern Cal. That's first FS purchase in about a year and half I believe. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, LRW said:

Hoang,

2 hours ago, CrownCityMisfits said:

I think you are going to be fine. I have may regions and airports and have been able to find satisfying settings with a i7-3930 and GTX 680. I'd LOVE to have your rig about now.

Most likely I will build a new box around the holidays this year. 

Thank you for your comments. I will purchase those now in case I forget and miss the sale.

I built my system during the Black Friday sale last year, saved bunch of money. A very good time to get yourself a new one.

1 hour ago, JustanotherPilot said:

I ask myself 2 questions before I buy a product on sale. 1. Can I use it now and 2. Is it a bargain. If I answer yes to at least one question I buy it, if it's yes to both questions, it's a bonus.

steve

1 hour ago, Harvgordon said:

Hi Hoang,

I guess it's a good time to purchase it now. I have their Oceania regions installed It runs smoothly on my PC. Well, besides OOM I didn't see a performance hit. Anyway, performance is depending on the specs, settings etc. You have your specs listed in the signature I assumed? If I am right, you should be fine. 

Cheers,

Gordon

Thank you very much. Yes my computer is in my signature.

Hoang Le

P3D v5

Although my current system is not as "beefy" as yours, I do notice that Orbx Northern California Region does come with a frame rate hit.   But it is beautiful....Until I build my "Mother Of All Computers" next spring, I'll be running, sadly, with somewhat reduced slider settings because frame rate stutters, and low frame rates (anything less than 10 is sheer pain), are a real immersion killer for me.

Now and then I boot into FS9, and I can land like a greased monkey in that sim every time because the frame rates are a rock solid 60+ FPS (Frames Per Second).

For those of you who haven't landed at 60 FPS- give it a go even if it means turning everything off - your control fidelity goes way up and you'll be landing like a boss every time.  After all, when landing at an airport, what else besides the instruments and the runway are you are monitoring?

Until I build my new system I am going to mostly stick with the stock Preapr3D airports.  And although South America seems to be a low priority for LM, I will say this about their default airports - they are simple but the frame rates make up for it when pulling off that landing, many of which are slightly short fields for the PDMG 737.

Why am I in South America?  I'm taking this PDMG 737-800 from Everret Washington all the way to the South Pole, the Northernmost base.  Just for the heck of it, one leg at a time...I haven't been south of the Equator to many times so I might as well go big or go home.  I have no idea what I'll find when I get there.  Every flight is detailed in an Excel Spreadsheet with one tab per flight hop, each with embedded airport diagrams, approach charts, and in-flight pictures.  The livery I'm using for this deep southern journey into the Antarctic - Caribbean Airlines! 

Mark Trainer

General "Buck" Turgidson: "Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."

I also spent a good amount of money buying ORBX regions, as the sale is really generous. I had hesitated before because of the possibility of OOMs but I think now with v4 is the time even tubeliner simmers to enjoy these beautiful ORBX regions. I expect some framerate hit of course, but I don't believe the framehit will be significantly worse with than the LC/Vector combination on the same slider settings. Turning down POIs will certainly also help. Furthermore, if the 10-15% performance increase reports in v4 turn out to be true, that would work perfectly in a high end system.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Thank you all for your comments. I only fly airliners and disconnect autopilot and auto throttle very far away to hand fly, but with the regions I'd probably keep it closer to the airport for some sight-seeing.

Cheers,
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

P3D v5

3 hours ago, mtrainer said:

Although my current system is not as "beefy" as yours, I do notice that Orbx Northern California Region does come with a frame rate hit.   But it is beautiful....Until I build my "Mother Of All Computers" next spring, I'll be running, sadly, with somewhat reduced slider settings because frame rate stutters, and low frame rates (anything less than 10 is sheer pain), are a real immersion killer for me.

Now and then I boot into FS9, and I can land like a greased monkey in that sim every time because the frame rates are a rock solid 60+ FPS (Frames Per Second).

For those of you who haven't landed at 60 FPS- give it a go even if it means turning everything off - your control fidelity goes way up and you'll be landing like a boss every time.  After all, when landing at an airport, what else besides the instruments and the runway are you are monitoring?

Until I build my new system I am going to mostly stick with the stock Preapr3D airports.  And although South America seems to be a low priority for LM, I will say this about their default airports - they are simple but the frame rates make up for it when pulling off that landing, many of which are slightly short fields for the PDMG 737.

Why am I in South America?  I'm taking this PDMG 737-800 from Everret Washington all the way to the South Pole, the Northernmost base.  Just for the heck of it, one leg at a time...I haven't been south of the Equator to many times so I might as well go big or go home.  I have no idea what I'll find when I get there.  Every flight is detailed in an Excel Spreadsheet with one tab per flight hop, each with embedded airport diagrams, approach charts, and in-flight pictures.  The livery I'm using for this deep southern journey into the Antarctic - Caribbean Airlines! 

Mark Trainer

General "Buck" Turgidson: "Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."

Re: the South Pole

I flew their in the Milviz 737 when P3D v2 came out. I'd heard it wasnt possible, but it definitively is (I've got the screenshots to prove it!). Very twilight zone.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

My advice would be to stay away from NoCal and SoCal, but use OpenLC US in stead. Lighter on your system and I find it one of the better ORBX products. Especially the Bay area in NoCal is a fps killer. This can be tweaked by disabling some harbour stuff in oakland and SF. 

Maarten Otto

19.jpg