Sign in to follow this  
JDWalley

Anyone have trouble getting FSW to run since update?

I fired up Steam -- no mention of an update.  Tried playing FSW, just get a dialog reading "Preparing to launch Flight Sim World..." which then goes away and comes back over and over.  It's been at least five minutes now, and no sign it's actually going to do anything.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

UPDATE: After about ten minutes, I closed Steam.  The "Preparing..." window came up a few more times, then I got an "updating Steam" dialog, then the new version of FSW launched.

Much better lighting on the runways, and the framerate seems improved, too.  Not bad, for a week's worth of development.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

I had actually cleaned my install at home PC, because of a little accident ( the Universe ... ) happening to this "uninstaller" when for the very first time in year I inadvertently deleted one of the FSW install folders under "users" in my Win 10.

Thanksfully, because I doubt my IN provider would accept yet another Gigas fetch this week..., I had made a Steam backup of the game, and following this post I simply restored the game to my home PC without any problem, very effectively. Just had to redefine the few controller settings I am using, and I was ready to go. Also the first time I started it after the restore, it automatically updated to the final release.

It always starts really fast. In your case it was the Steam update most probably, or even the latest Win 10, we also have to always check if the system isn't itself running a background update ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

If you get caught in a preparing to launch loop, closing Steam and restarting it will fix the issue. 

Glad you got it working Walley. 

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

Sensible improvement found here after update.
A lot of surprise with sun visor special effect on very hard landings.
Enthusiastic with FSW.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

I haven't been having any trouble running FSW until today. I was doing a short flight in the RV-7 (78nm) when about 1/4 of the way, all of a sudden I got a complete lockup of my computer and a blank screen on the monitor.  I could still hear the engine running in the background, but no key press would recover. I had to do a hard reboot of my system. I sure hope this doesn't keep occurring. That would be a problem.  I'll try again tomorrow and see where it goes.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

11 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I haven't been having any trouble running FSW until today. I was doing a short flight in the RV-7 (78nm) when about 1/4 of the way, all of a sudden I got a complete lockup of my computer and a blank screen on the monitor.  I could still hear the engine running in the background, but no key press would recover. I had to do a hard reboot of my system. I sure hope this doesn't keep occurring. That would be a problem.  I'll try again tomorrow and see where it goes.

I had a problem when my flight time reached 4 hours, when changing the viewpoint the FSW closed.
I used the Cherokee, flying with ap on.
The Windows 10 Event Viewer shows the following:

Nível    Data e Hora    Fonte    Identificação do Evento    Categoria da Tarefa
Erro    26/05/2017 11:34:32    Application Error    1000    (100)    "Nome do aplicativo com falha: fsw.exe, versão: 1.0.16555.0, carimbo de data/hora: 0x592332f6
Nome do módulo com falha: ntdll.dll, versão: 10.0.15063.0, carimbo de data/hora: 0xb79b6ddb
Código de exceção: 0xc0000374
Deslocamento da falha: 0x00000000000f775f
ID do processo com falha: 0x1fc8
Hora de início do aplicativo com falha: 0x01d2d60a3917b720
Caminho do aplicativo com falha: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSW\fsw.exe
Caminho do módulo com falha: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
ID do Relatório: c7b41053-5f97-449c-92a2-1f609c621927
Nome completo do pacote com falha:
ID do aplicativo relativo ao pacote com falha: "

João Alfredo

1 hour ago, 188AHC said:

I was doing a short flight in the RV-7 (78nm) when about 1/4 of the way, all of a sudden I got a complete lockup of my computer and a blank screen on the monitor.  I could still hear the engine running in the background, but no key press would recover.

Honestly, that sounds similar to what occasionally happens to me in American Truck Simulator (same with ETS2). In my case it is thermal shutdown of the graphics card (hence the black screen). I have to use the "three-finger salute" to kill the process.

After waiting a few minutes to allow the card to cool down, it will once again load and run normally unless the card overheats again.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yup, that's you gpu overheating most likely, you can back its clock settiing off a little to keep it cooler.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

That's not my GPU  overheating. It was at 42 deg. However, I am checking the other components of my system to make sure I don't have a hardware problem. I did check my temps after the failure and they were all in normal ranges.  As for the three finger salute, unfortunately, it didn't work in this instance. Hard reboot via the power switch.  I'll sort it out and see what's going on. System has worked flawlessly up to this point. I've never had a problem in ATS, ETS2, Skyrim, or any other graphics intensive games.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Fair enough. Also make sure the GPU is seated properly in the motherboard and that all other plugged in components are too. Sometimes when things get hot they can expand or cause other stuff to do so and it anything is loose, it can shift with that expansion in its slot and cause intermittent problems which are not obvious when one lets the thing cool down to take a look inside. As you know, with fancier GPUs sometimes being quite a tight fit because of their size and all the fans on them and wires that come off them these days, it can mean heat is not always directed away and out of the case as well as it could be on occasion.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I finally cornered the rat in my system. I fear MB instability. I ran a number of tests on it and my components today and it kept getting worse. I replaced my memory, checked my peripherals and tested each component that I could unhook and still run. The end result of this is that my pc got real stubborn and would continually refuse to post or it would get in a reboot cycle without posting. I suspect one of the million or so little tiny electronic workers that lives in my MB refuses to do his job until he wants to.

But, I have news for him and all his little buddies. As of this coming Saturday morning they will all be replaced with a shiny new 1151 MB, new memory, and a new CPU with a Kraken cooler. So take that.  I hated to throw money at the problem but in this case that is what it will take to make things right again.  It will also bring me a new PC by replacing 5 year old technology.

Anybody interested in some very slightly used DDR3-2400? :biggrin:  (Just kidding) I'll post my unused memory in the bargain forum.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

Hello Rick

I have not read all of your post talking about your problematic PC.
At the end of last year I went through bad times, my PC started to have errors, always playing, were not continuous errors, some intermittent.
I did all the tests, replacing everything that could be causing overheating, but all monitoring programs did not suggest overheating.
My power supply at the time was XFX 750W modular (Seasonic), it keeps running, on computer with no pretentions of using game.
I could use it on my computer for days straight without problems, but I could not run games.
It replaces XFX-7570 with a lower power supply, EVGA 600, and my problems are gone.
One technician reported that probably some component is not supporting high power supply demands that happen when we run games.

João Alfredo

Technically, we aren't supposed to address hardware issues in this forum but as mine was initially related to FSW, I just wanted to emphasize that the program was not at fault. Thanks for the advice, however. Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor