Sign in to follow this  
darth_damian_000

Is this the right time to upgrade to Windows 10?

Will I be missing out on much if I don't upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7, AND, if I do end up upgrading to windows 10 somewhere down the line, will I have to uninstall my sim as well as add-ons and reinstall? My sim is on a dedicated SSD.

24 minutes ago, darth_damian_000 said:

Will I be missing out on much if I don't upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7, AND, if I do end up upgrading to windows 10 somewhere down the line, will I have to uninstall my sim as well as add-ons and reinstall? My sim is on a dedicated SSD.

If you reinstall your Windows, it is highly recommend you install your sim from scratch, because lots of the installation files and also registry lies on Windows local disk.

Depends on how you use your simulator setup, for me I only use normal computer with 1 monitor, not a home cockpit and Win10 suits perfectly.
Cheers,

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

In answer to your question: no, the right time to upgrade to Windows 10 was about a year ago. :)

• Upvote 3

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Imho Windows 10 is the best Windows version ever created so any time is the right time. :happy: I wouldn't upgrade your current system to it though. Not ever. I would always advice to do a clean install from scratch. I do this frequently. Last weekend I reinstalled W10 from scratch again and it was done in no time. The install of W10 itself took something like 30 minutes or so. It is done in no time. (I only have SSD's though.) I myself use Aerofly FS 2: I installed W10, set it up to my liking, installed the hardware (not too complicated stuff: joystick, rudders, Rift, printer, etc.) and then installed AFS2 from scratch (I think that's around 80 or 100 GB?) and I was flying the same evening already.

I have to add I have a checklist with every step I have to take which is different from what W10 offers by default (during setup itself and after the first start) which helps to reinstall the OS within no time. A tip I would advice to anyone who frequently reinstall the OS: make a checklist of everything you do that is not default. Saves a lot of time and thinking and figuring out. :happy:

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

In answer to your question: no, the right time to upgrade to Windows 10 was about a year ago. :)

Bingo X3 !  Best answer. I was hesitant to upgrade to Windows 10 when it came out. Waited a few months and then made the move. Yes, Windows 10 is a much better OS in every respects. 

Moreover, Microsoft is "on purpose" stopping to support- or half bake support- various things within Windows 7. Therefore as Rob mentioned; the right time was loooong time ago. 

4 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

That was what I was going to say...right.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:52 AM, joemiller said:

Bingo X3 !  Best answer. I was hesitant to upgrade to Windows 10 when it came out. Waited a few months and then made the move. Yes, Windows 10 is a much better OS in every respects. 

Moreover, Microsoft is "on purpose" stopping to support- or half bake support- various things within Windows 7. Therefore as Rob mentioned; the right time was loooong time ago. 

If you will, please elaborate on this:  exactly why is 10 a much better OS (than 7) in every respect?  And while you're there if it isn't obvious after justifying your statement be sure to elaborate on how those attributes will matter for P3D V4 or even V3.

I have Win 10 on a partition on a Macbook Pro and I don't see anything compelling in it over Win 7, truly.   I'd like to know what fundamental behaviors make it better, especially when using DX11 based software.  To me it essentially better integrates w/ mobile devices (don't use any w/ Windows anyway) and rearranges everything so you have to relearn where to solve simple issues, much like every iteration of MS Office s/p 2003!

I'm using Win 7 currently for P3D.  Thanks, standing by...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Windows 7 doesn't have full support for DX11.1 for a start off.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj863687.aspx

One example :

When the Special edition of Skyrim came out, people were obviously trying mods from the old 32bit original Skyrim in the new engine.

A lot of fantastic oldrim texture mods worked like a charm on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, but crashed the game on Windows 7 machines because they didn't fully support the way some of the textures had been compressed in newer .dds formats as Windows 7 only has partial 11.1 support.

Obviously if you own a DX12 capable graphics card then you have 0 support on Windows 7.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:52 AM, joemiller said:

Windows 10 is a much better OS in every respects.

30 minutes ago, Noel said:

If you will, please elaborate on this:  exactly why is 10 a much better OS (than 7) in every respect?   Thanks, standing by...

It's so exciting.

I have been looking for those dramatic differences and improvements everywhere.

I am so glad, finally we will get factual knowledgeable explanation .

Standing by..........

mike

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

Win 10 is better in every way with no disadvantages anymore. It looks better, it feels better and in the future you will have no choice. And the security update process goes way faster then in Win7. All the new CPUs and GPUs will only work on Win 10 sooner or later.

Since every game developer will recommend Win 10 in the future you will have a less risk that something is not working. So it's about time for Win 10 in my opinion.

And dont forget Win7 gets less safe everyday. It has some tremendous security flaws already and only gets worse. Off course MS gives a ###### about like always :biggrin:

12 minutes ago, Nytro said:

It looks better, it feels better and in the future you will have no choice. And the security update process goes way faster then in Win7. All the new CPUs and GPUs will only work on Win 10 sooner or later.

Since every game developer will recommend Win 10 in the future you will have a less risk that something is not working. So it's about time for Win 10 in my opinion.

Makes sense, the only question remaining is WHEN all of these issues will come to pass, for example when a CPU/GPU won't work, and I'll have to guess that will be many years to come.   Does P3D utilize something in DX 11.1 that isn't supported in 11.0?  Look and feel doesn't matter to me in the slightest as I only use Windows for P3D and a couple of games on a separate boot up, and I use iPhone and OSX on a Macbook Pro for general computing.  I don't run Office nor an internet browser on Windows either so security updates also largely don't matter because I don't do anything in Windows but run a couple of games including P3D.   Sounds like some version of Windows is the future for P3D, but so far I haven't heard of anything very meaningful that 10 offers over 7, and I'm assuming it will be a few years before it's truly critical to leave Win 7.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

Noel

7 minutes ago, Noel said:

Look and feel doesn't matter to me as I only use Windows for P3D and a couple of games on a separate boot up, and I used iPhone and OSX on a Macbook Pro for general computing.  I don't run Office nor an internet browser on Windows either.  It's just a place to install a game is about it.  Security updates also largely don't matter either because I don't do anything in Windows but run a couple of games including P3D.

same here.......

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

51 minutes ago, 4L0M said:

as Windows 7 only has partial 11.1 support....Obviously if you own a DX12 capable graphics card then you have 0 support on Windows 7.

Well, I don't think I use anything that requires 11.1 nor 12 support.  Sounds like at some point I'll need to move on, but for the time being, for P3D V4 or XP11.x, 7 offers essentially the same core capabilities.

Noel

Windows 7 diehard here! It's fast, stable, user friendly, has great third party support and remains free of unwelcome Microsoft contrived intrusiveness (brainwashing techniques?). Doubtless I too will be forced to make the move someday, but right now, or for the foreseeable future, nothing compels me to consider making that unnecessary jump. Currently Windows 10 has little that is genuinely new to offer the average user that isn't already covered perfectly well by Windows 7. Yes, others will no doubt disagree but, as the saying goes, that's to be expected.

Mike 👹