Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

P3Dv4 Clouds and AA

Anyone knows if clouds are still anti aliased according to the AA settings like V3 or are they now left alone for more performance ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I've been wondering this same thing. Hopefully someone can comment on this.

I have heard mixed things regarding performance. Some say it's much better than v3, while others say it's the same as v3.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Of course, I haven't used it yet; but, I would assume that LM would not build a brand new sim, and not improve performance. So I'm guessing these things have been addressed... or, will come along quickly through updates.  (just my guess) 

It's interesting to note that the minimum and recommended hardware configs are somewhat higher for v4 that v3, though.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

59 minutes ago, joemiller said:

Of course, I haven't used it yet; but, I would assume that LM would not build a brand new sim, and not improve performance. So I'm guessing these things have been addressed... or, will come along quickly through updates.  (just my guess) 

LM did not build a brand new sim and they have not fixed a lot of things yet so why should they 'of course' have fixed this? If I were you I wouldn't count on a perfect sim yet. :happy: Clouds and AA have been a problem since day one and they never fixed it up to now so why whould they suddenly have fixed it in v4? Of course I do hope they did but I wouldn't say 'of course'.

Theres going to be some misunderstanding it seems. If going by FPS as most do on here, its probably going to be relatively the same, however most will now put up sliders at same time since we have no OOM possibilities. Same FPS but higher settings equals better performance. 

That aside, AA on clouds was always a hit. Would definitely help in performance but I guess its not easy to exclude clouds from having AA applied. Maybe it can be asked in the Prepar3d forum or one of the beta testers can answer. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

8 minutes ago, J van E said:

LM did not build a brand new sim and they have not fixed a lot of things yet so why should they 'of course' have fixed this? If I were you I wouldn't count on a perfect sim yet. :happy: Clouds and AA have been a problem since day one and they never fixed it up to now so why whould they suddenly have fixed it in v4? Of course I do hope they did but I wouldn't say 'of course'.

Of course.. Let's hope they fix it.. That would be grand, isn't it? Of Course! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J van E said:

34637807352_6088b50b32_o.png

Maybe the new AA mode available right inside Prepar3D v4 may be usefull on this point ?

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

1 hour ago, vbazillio said:

Maybe the new AA mode available right inside Prepar3D v4 may be usefull on this point ?

Afaik those new modes only are heavier on the system so they won't help with performance. What needs to be done is to prevent clouds using AA at all. They don't need it and it only costs performance.

11 minutes ago, J van E said:

Afaik those new modes only are heavier on the system so they won't help with performance. What needs to be done is to prevent clouds using AA at all. They don't need it and it only costs performance.

There was a post by the previous LM product lead .... what was his name... about how they couldn't figure out how to stop applying AA to clouds. (I think, I really want to find the thread and reread it because it was interesting).

Is that even possible? Isn't AA applied after the scene has been rasterized and so has no concept of what objects are what in the image?

Sorry if I'm throwing nonsense here

12 minutes ago, LB777 said:

Is that even possible? Isn't AA applied after the scene has been rasterized and so has no concept of what objects are what in the image?

Sorry if I'm throwing nonsense here

Possibly

Edited by NZ255
Changed because I'm not sure, but think so

I often think about AA and why it's even necessary.  If you pick up a camera in the real world and point it at something, no AA is required.  It just looks right.  In part, that's due to atmospheric blurring which gets especially strong on hot days and, perhaps, the analog nature of lenses. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

1 minute ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

I often think about AA and why it's even necessary.  If you pick up a camera in the real world and point it at something, no AA is required.  It just looks right.  In part, that's due to atmospheric blurring which gets especially strong on hot days and, perhaps, the analog nature of lenses. 

I think it's more to do with the fact that we don't see in pixels.

1 minute ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Er...? I think that is due to the fact the real world isn't built of pixels. A screen is. Hence you need AA. Of course the real world doesn't need AA... Or am I misunderstanding your post?