Sign in to follow this  
ttrockx

Settings required for Maximumum graphics and performance.

Greetings to all flight simmers around the globe.

I need some assistance on how to setup my fsx for maximum graphics and performance. Details of my PC are listed below.

Its a Lenovo Legion Y520.

1: Core i7 7th Generation.

2: 16GB Ram DDR3

3: Nvidia GTX 1050

4: 1 TB HD

5: Windows 10

Any response regarding the query would be much appreciated. Thanks

As FSX is heavily CPU dependent, i7 is too little information.

Yep, too little information about the CPU and RAM.

Here is some generic advice.  Start FSX with all the scenery sliders and features turned off.  Then, slowly turn up the scenery features until you start to see tiny stutters in image rendering.  When you see stutters, you are at the limits of your computer.  Do not worry about frame rates, you want smoothness.  A bizzillion frames per second that is stuttering looks a lot worse than 15 frames per second that is smooth as well polished glass.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

12 minutes ago, stans said:

A bizzillion frames per second that is stuttering looks a lot worse than 15 frames per second that is smooth as well polished glass.

15fps appearing smooth works only if you are doing IFR type flying which means smooth and slow maneuvering and not more than 30° bank.

Once you start thinking about aerobatics you need to have at least 60fps.

16GB RAM is an overkill for FSX, but better too much than too little. 

2.8GHz Intel Core i7-7700HQ processor  It's considered a "Budget" gaming Laptop.  Keep your

settings medium at best.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2.8 GHz CPU is going to be a bottleneck for FSX.  I agree, lower settings will be required.  FSX comes alive with multiple cores all running at 4 GHz or more.

Also, for aerobatic flying, yes, higher frame rates would be needed.  Things like Cessna 172's and Piper Seneca's and Navajo's generally don't work too well for acrobatic flying, but that's what I generally fly. :wink:

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Use gaming mode if you have the Win 10 creators update (Winkey + G) while FSX is open.

Go into security center and exclude your FSX folder from being scanned.

Set you power savings to "High Performance".

N99WB

On 5/27/2017 at 3:19 AM, ttrockx said:

I need some assistance on how to setup my fsx for maximum graphics and performance.

Won't be able to with that computer without sacrifices. Pre-built computers are very limited in what they can do. No overclocking, limited upgrading, limited tweaking, cheap PSU with just enough wattage to handle the components in the system without further upgrades, etc.

If you're going to write emails and surf the web, that machine will do fine. However, for FSX or any other games, you might want to look into building one or paying someone to do it.