Sign in to follow this  
bic

upgrade to 16 gig RAM?

I got 8 at the moment and will be holding off adding another 8 for the time being.  I'll keep an eye on my memory usage and decide from there.  Until I see the actual numbers for my configuration and add-ons, I'm not spending $$$'s.

• Upvote 1

Matt Webb

FSX and P3D are completely different from all other video games. Ram speed does make a difference and a significant difference. You will see far far less long frames (ie STUTTERS)  in FSX or P3D with fast DRAM. The best way to put it is that the more powerful you hardware the higher you FPS will be a particular setting. But you use bog standard 1600mhz DRAM with that hardware even at you high FPS you will get a lot of long frames and therefore stutters. With all the same hardware and faster memory you will get the same FPS but less long frames and therefore less stutters. Fast memory is you best friend against long frames so long as you are reasonable with everything else. I have 2400mhz at CL9 and I am sure that it makes a big difference.

1 hour ago, Griphos said:

51 pages of hard data....lol.  You and I have very different ideas about what constitutes "hard data."  

Show me where it shows that higher RAM speed makes a significant difference.

And what exactly did I suggest that you disagree with (other than that some people don't know what they're talking about, which is certainly the case)?  What is the "wrong information" I gave, and what is the proof that it is wrong?

And explain to me how a flight sim is so significantly different from other video games that test results are meaningless unless they are testing flight sims. 

I'm not presenting anything as fact.  And I'm encouraging the OP to do some real research, not take the word of whoever happens to respond to this thread, including me.  One difference, though, is that I give reasons for my suggestions.  I don't just say, do it, it's good, or don't do it, it's bad.  Not something you can say about most responses.  

Once he does, I think he'll find that the consensus is a lot closer to what I said in this thread than most of the rest of the responses.

And how have I "clearly not" read, researched, tested?  I'm responding to this thread precisely to "help," and most particularly help someone not spend money they don't need to spend just because some other people tell him to without giving any good reasons for their claims.  

What you appear to take exception to is me.  I doubt you really read my post past the reference to some people not knowing what they are talking about, which everyone knows is in fact the case.  It would be silly to deny it.  You need to let go of your grudge.   

10% perf. gain for fast DDR3 over baseline 1333/1600.  Same again for DDR4.  Real gains are in the minimum FPS numbers.  In FSXMark I used to get minimum FPS in the 30s and average in the 50s.  Now, with a marginally faster CPU but MUCH faster RAM my minimum FPS is where my average used to be.  

The data is all in that thread.  

Your intimation that you're "helping" someone not to spend more money is laughable.  Faster RAM is a marginal cost difference.  Your advice, if followed, would rob someone of potentially needed performance at very low cost increase.  

I have no idea what "grudge" you're talking about.  You have how many posts here and have been here how long?  I can't even recall interacting with you before.  

• Upvote 1

Its all about latency, and not necessarily ram speed...period!!!

I agree with Griphos.

• Upvote 2

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

You guys are hilarious.  

Data doesn't get generated by self reporting random people under uncontrolled settings.  That's called "noise" in the profession.  Your "data" is a bunch of guys reporting things that you can't even be sure results from them following the directions fastidiously, and even if they did, it's a bunch of reports.  There's not a single instance in the results that I can see of any controlled test before and after single changes to hardware.  

DDR3, because it is old tech, is far from inexpensive now (at least $60 for 8 gb more from a decent maker, and significantly more than that if he buys a new 16gb kit).  And you still haven't shown any CLEAR evidence that RAM speed ALONE makes any difference whatsoever.  

Avidean's post is the perfect example of people cobbling together stories about processes they don't in any way understand.  "Long frames" ??? from DRAM speed??!  Completely different from every other video game?!?!  Please!

I remember now why it is I participate so rarely on this forum.  There's a kind of cult here.  I suppose that's what chasing performance on a 10 year old badly coded application will do to people...turn them into a kind of fanatic.  Oh, and I've been here since 2009.  About 3 months less than you.  I just don't blather on all the time.  

Anyway, the OP has a range of answers to choose from now.  He can do what he wants, but if he buys some marginally faster RAM and wonders where his performance gains are, he can't blame me.  On the up side, if he does upgrade at some expense maybe he'll convince himself that things are better through placebo effect, like some of the rest of you.  

• Upvote 5

I just ordered 16GB, up from 8Gb, hoping to OC these to 2133Mhz per ram specification. But considering I'm running an older Asus Z77 Mobo with 2700K OC to 4.6Ghz, I'll be happy to get 1866Mhz.  Better than nothing I guess. I'm really thinking our GPU's will be biggest determining factor on performance going forward. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I currently have 8GB 2400 Mhz in my current build. Couldn't be happier. It's all about CAS latency, for ESP platforms anyway. 

On another note: If people are going to be running 4K resolution on every product they have, (Within a 64bit sim), then more than 8GB would be beneficial. I don't run 4k, so keeping my current P3D V3.4 settings the same in V4 should be totally fine (with regards to VAS). To be frank, VAS isn't something you have to worry about in a 64bit environment. The new issue will be with the physical memory you have available in your PC. 

Cheers,

Sante Sottile

Humm, I would comment more in dept, but it was just make this already troubled thread, more troubled. 

Controversial topic...

i don't think you can extrapolate from benchmarks on Toms Hardware etc as to what will happen with Prepar3d. Not many modern shooters based on engines from over a decade ago.

ideally, some scientific benchmarks would be great, but failing that I do value the reports of members of the community who have assessed the performance of THIS specific program after hardware changes.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, SolRayz said:

I just ordered 16GB, up from 8Gb, hoping to OC these to 2133Mhz per ram specification. But considering I'm running an older Asus Z77 Mobo with 2700K OC to 4.6Ghz, I'll be happy to get 1866Mhz.  Better than nothing I guess. I'm really thinking our GPU's will be biggest determining factor on performance going forward. 

I've also got a P8Z77-V PRO. And it states that the below.  I'm guess the max I can put in is 32gig at 2600 speed?

Memory

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2600(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory 
Dual Channel Memory Architecture 
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. 
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

14ppkc-6.png

6 hours ago, Griphos said:

51 pages of hard data....lol.  You and I have very different ideas about what constitutes "hard data."  

Show me where it shows that higher RAM speed makes a significant difference.

And what exactly did I suggest that you disagree with (other than that some people don't know what they're talking about, which is certainly the case)?  What is the "wrong information" I gave, and what is the proof that it is wrong?

And explain to me how a flight sim is so significantly different from other video games that test results are meaningless unless they are testing flight sims. 

I'm not presenting anything as fact.  And I'm encouraging the OP to do some real research, not take the word of whoever happens to respond to this thread, including me.  One difference, though, is that I give reasons for my suggestions.  I don't just say, do it, it's good, or don't do it, it's bad.  Not something you can say about most responses.  

Once he does, I think he'll find that the consensus is a lot closer to what I said in this thread than most of the rest of the responses.

And how have I "clearly not" read, researched, tested?  I'm responding to this thread precisely to "help," and most particularly help someone not spend money they don't need to spend just because some other people tell him to without giving any good reasons for their claims.  

What you appear to take exception to is me.  I doubt you really read my post past the reference to some people not knowing what they are talking about, which everyone knows is in fact the case.  It would be silly to deny it.  You need to let go of your grudge.   

FSX and P3D up to v4 give a high boost , as Max point out.

P3D-V4 recomended 3200MHz or higher.

During the years here it always new ones the state the same memspeed do noting.

Please do your homework first

4 hours ago, CarlosF said:

Its all about latency, and not necessarily ram speed...period!!!

I agree with Griphos.

It's latency and speed , example 3200mhz c15 common mem tight timing to 11 you have a gain opposite c15 raise the speed to 3600 you have the same gain.

The thing is to balance the latency and speed, if you run 32gb 4x8gb 3600 c15 is one of the fastest 24/7 setting with today's mems.

For 2x8gb a have a good set 4266 c17 24/7

Note X-Pane is not as sensitive as FSX P3D on mems 

DDR3 with haswell not all IMC can do 2800mhz 2666 with 4 sticks

The best performing DDR3 is Samsung 2400 c9 or 2666 c10 but hard to find

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joemiller said:

Humm, I would comment more in dept, but it would just make this already troubled thread, more troubled. 

9 minutes ago, westman said:

It's latency and speed , example 3200mhz c15 common mem tight timing to 11 you have a gain opposite c15 raise the speed to 3600 you have the same gain.

The thing is to balance the latency and speed, if you run 32gb 4x8gb 3600 c15 is one of the fastest 24/7 setting with today's mems.

For 2x8gb a have a good set 4266 c17 24/7

Note X-Pane is not as sensitive as FSX P3D on mems 

And.......... the winner is?  You bet!  Both are very important.  

Come on guys, why complicate your lives? Get a quality  fast memory with the lowest latency you can find (and afford).. then do what I did.. OC that baby till it screams. I got mine stable @3800Mhz and CL-15 

* Keep in in mind, though:  -- Be ready to spend 

-- Currently for P3D 3.0+ and FSX, after 2600Mhz, the difference in performance is almost non-noticeable- very slim.   However for P3D V4, that could change. I recently built for

V4. 

I searched on the hardware forum and came up with pretty much what you guys stated

FSX11 mark has a google doc 

- check timings compared to what I have 

- wait and see

- presently have two modules,  slower if two more added under DDR3.

One comparison thread 

I have an Asrock Z97 Extreme 4, so I did check their web site for what is models are compatible.   I do not overclock, just run at 4.2 ghz.  It seems that the best option right now is to wait and see.  This box is getting old, but I am surprised it is lasting this long in terms of technology (glad I just burned the cash when it came out).

Thank you.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060