Sign in to follow this  
bic

upgrade to 16 gig RAM?

6 hours ago, westman said:

During the years here it always new ones the state the same memspeed do noting.

And its not going to get any better. Try being a property inspector in Silicon Valley ....field experience means nothing these days.

Well, I have always taken what Nick Needham on Simforums has to say about hardware choices for FSX/P3D as highly expert. In fact I doubt if anyone in community would doubt that Nick is among the most knowledgeable if not the most knowledgeable on this subject. He says definitively that fast memory is very important to FSX/P3D if you don't want any long frame stutters. You can find his arguments on his forum. I know who I believe!

9 hours ago, westman said:

During the years here it always new ones the state the same memspeed do noting.

Please do your homework first

lol...I've been around here over three years longer than you.  And flight-simming since the very beginning. 

And many of you guys are simply ignoring the fact that the OP is asking about upgrading DDR3 memory.  DDR3!!!!!  You can't get that memory in the speeds many of you are talking about, and most motherboards using them can't support those speeds even if you can buy them.  So your religious belief in the efficacy of faster RAM is really beside the point, now isn't it?

But, please, don't let that stand in the way of handing out your "expert" advise.  

hi

i have asus z97 pro mobo

gtx 1070 sc

i7 4790k cpu

trident x gskill 2x8gb 2400 cl10 ddr3

is this really not good enough for p3d v4

i dont think my mobo supports ddr4

would i need to upgrade my mobo and memory to get the best out of p3d v4

thanks for any advice

jeff20

jeff storey

24 minutes ago, jeff20 said:

hi

i have asus z97 pro mobo

gtx 1070 sc

i7 4790k cpu

trident x gskill 2x8gb 2400 cl10 ddr3

is this really not good enough for p3d v4

i dont think my mobo supports ddr4

would i need to upgrade my mobo and memory to get the best out of p3d v4

thanks for any advice

jeff20

I would of thought you would get a fairly decent level or performance with your rig as you have a good graphics card and a pretty good CPU, How many screens are you running and what speed does your CPU run at?

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

hi thanks for reply

i have 2 screens

main one is samsung 3440x1440 se790c

and a asus 22inch 1920x1080

used 5 way optimisation for OC 4.6

jeff20

jeff storey

10 hours ago, westman said:

DDR3 with haswell not all IMC can do 2800mhz 2666 with 4 sticks

The best performing DDR3 is Samsung 2400 c9 or 2666 c10 but hard to find

1 hour ago, Griphos said:

lol...I've been around here over three years longer than you.  And flight-simming since the very beginning. 

And many of you guys are simply ignoring the fact that the OP is asking about upgrading DDR3 memory.  DDR3!!!!!  You can't get that memory in the speeds many of you are talking about, and most motherboards using them can't support those speeds even if you can buy them.  So your religious belief in the efficacy of faster RAM is really beside the point, now isn't it?

But, please, don't let that stand in the way of handing out your "expert" advise.  

If you have 1600 or 2133mhz mems, fast DDR3 with low latency make difference,OP have 1600mhz mems going to 2400-2666mhz from 1600mhz going to make difference, 

800-1000mhz is quite a bit , NickN recomend 2400 C9 if i not wrong and lot of flightsimmers have done uppgrades from 1600mhz to 2400mhz with decent gaines.

Yes, I get that 2400 is a bigger number than 1600 (which is what I assume you're basing your insistence that it will make a difference on), but where is your proof that it will?

And he probably can't even do 2133 on his mb without overclocking.  

@jeff20 How do you know your system isn't good enough for v4?  It's not released yet!  How do you expect people to tell you what you need to get the best out of v4 when it hasn't been released yet?!  

If your system isn't good enough, most people's systems aren't going to be either.  

And if you're still asking advice in this thread at this point, you just haven't been paying attention.  

thanks for replies guys

i still dont know if the asus z97 pro with gskill tridentx 2x8gb at 2400mhz is good enough for p3d v4

jeff storey

sorry if you think i haven't been paying attention i am trying

its just this talk of ram and vram in v4

i think my mobo and ram lets my system down by not being able to upgrade to ddr4 

jeff storey

22 minutes ago, Griphos said:

Yes, I get that 2400 is a bigger number than 1600 (which is what I assume you're basing your insistence that it will make a difference on), but where is your proof that it will?

And he probably can't even do 2133 on his mb without overclocking.  

@jeff20 How do you know your system isn't good enough for v4?  It's not released yet!  How do you expect people to tell you what you need to get the best out of v4 when it hasn't been released yet?!  

If your system isn't good enough, most people's systems aren't going to be either.  

And if you're still asking advice in this thread at this point, you just haven't been paying attention.  

(I have an Asrock Z97 Extreme 4) the mobo of OP and cpu 4790K, that combo do easy 2800mhz with OVERCLOCKING.

not even a 6700k DDR4 do 2400mhz without OVERCLOCKING.

its a lot of treads on the hardwareforum start digg, on the other hand have you some proof its flightsim we talk about FSX P3DE not general games

Its not that 2400 is a bigger number than 1600. There is more to it than that. And I am by no means trying to pass myself of as an expert. The Speed of the memory is somehow relates to its frequency and its CAS latency. That's all I know. Its a combination of high frequency and low CAS latency that Produces fast DRAM. So 1600mhz can be just as fast as 2400mhz Provided the CAS latency of the 1600mhz DRAM is appropriately lower than the CAS latency of the 2400mhz memory.

I cannot do the calculations myself. It has since the FSX been acknowledged virtually universally in the FS community that achieving the best possible performance from FSX/P3D is a complex art. It is I think getting a lot easier but I think also so long as the Sim is based on FSX some of those truths will not change. I think Memory speed is significant.

My current system has 2 x 4GB of 2400mhz CL9. I did manage to OC that to 2400mhz CL8 and that is no small achievement. The performance improvement in terms of the absence of long frame stutters was obvious.

thanks avidean

i really dont know anything about memory oc

perhaps i should research that

maybe just wait till release of v4 see how my rig performs

thanks

jeff storey

Yes, just wait and see is the best strategy, I believe.

And, yes, Avidean, I understand frequency, timing, and latency and their interaction.  My point about the size of the numbers was a little bit of sarcasm to westman's post, since he clearly is just saying things without any support whatsoever, and is falling victim to the common but nevertheless erroneous idea that a bigger number for frequency means something definite by itself when it comes to performance.  

Indeed, 1600 mhz RAM at CAS 8, say, with 8-8-8-24 timings (a common configuration for DDR3 1600 DRAM) is kind of a sweet spot for performance at 8 and 16 gb.  

One additional note on overclocking.  I recognize that it's kind of a frenzied pursuit on these forums, since the chase for better performance for this dinosaur of a sim is never ending, but memory is a lot more delicate to overclock than a CPU.  Memory modules are manufactured to much closer voltage tolerances and overclocking them is much more likely to shorten their lifespan.  And all for what is, really, a very questionable and certainly no more than minimal gain.  

You didn't overclock your memory (going from what you just said), you just changed its latency.  And I still doubt, absent careful testing, that it made much difference.  A change in latency of one increment...that is supposed to have made a significant difference? Are you saying your sim no longer stutters?  Have you ever heard of confirmation bias?

And the continued belief that FSX/P3D is somehow a completely different kind of process of calculating physics and projecting pixels on a screen from every other simulation/video game out there is also an amusing sacred cow around here.  

28 minutes ago, Griphos said:

Yes, just wait and see is the best strategy, I believe.

And, yes, Avidean, I understand frequency, timing, and latency and their interaction.  My point about the size of the numbers was a little bit of sarcasm to westman's post, since he clearly is just saying things without any support whatsoever, and is falling victim to the common but nevertheless erroneous idea that a bigger number for frequency means something definite by itself when it comes to performance.  

Indeed, 1600 mhz RAM at CAS 8, say, with 8-8-8-24 timings (a common configuration for DDR3 1600 DRAM) is kind of a sweet spot for performance at 8 and 16 gb.  

One additional note on overclocking.  I recognize that it's kind of a frenzied pursuit on these forums, since the chase for better performance for this dinosaur of a sim is never ending, but memory is a lot more delicate to overclock than a CPU.  Memory modules are manufactured to much closer voltage tolerances and overclocking them is much more likely to shorten their lifespan.  And all for what is, really, a very questionable and certainly no more than minimal gain.  

You didn't overclock your memory (going from what you just said), you just changed its latency.  And I still doubt, absent careful testing, that it made much difference.  A change in latency of one increment...that is supposed to have made a significant difference? Are you saying your sim no longer stutters?  Have you ever heard of confirmation bias?

And the continued belief that FSX/P3D is somehow a completely different kind of process of calculating physics and projecting pixels on a screen from every other simulation/video game out there is also an amusing sacred cow around here.  

You only try to trolling,