Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Why I bought FSW

6 minutes ago, vololiberista said:

That depends on whether you enjoy driving or not. If you enjoy driving then P3D's not for you!!!

The license does not prohibit "enjoyment". For example, if you use P3D for the purpose of training, and you happen to enjoy it, that is allowed.

Disclaimer: IANAL. Read the license and interpret as you see fit. It's an honor system, so do as you like.

Barry Friedman

15 minutes ago, Chock said:

No, it doesn't, it can snapshot a NOAH METAR at specified intervals which it then interprets by using the nearest suitable one of its presets, but that is in no way realtime accurate custom-created weather injection in the manner which most people who have used even the default FS METAR weather generation understand it to be (and even that which XPlane does actually do is buggy and can take a few goes before it eventually kicks in).

I think we're picking nits here. Every sim relies on either NOAA or other data, usually from the nearest automated airport METAR report. None of these plugins are using the weather "presets" within XP. Instead, they inject cloud types and winds directly into the sim's layered weather system.

The bottom line with any realtime weather system is to what extent it matches what you see outside your window.

All three systems I've used in XP -- FS Global Real Weather with the default weather, XEnviro, and SkyMaxx Pro -- do a decent job of matching the real weather in the areas I like to fly. The main differences (aside from cloud aesthetics) are how well transitions are interpolated and smoothed between subsequent METAR reports. Some do it better than others.

Bringing it back to FSW, it will be interesting to see how they handle this. Weather is a special interest of mine, and this is one area where they might be able to do something different.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

4 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Boomer I have the most respect for you and your opinion but what are you doing in this thread. You already stated  once here that FSW is not for you. 

As for ###### (this is word is not even allowed here) that is a low for you. I consider myself open to all sims and raving fan  of none. 

To follow up on this, are other forums full of people criticizing the subject of the forum? Is XP full of people that disdain it? I can understand people giving their initial reactions (although they frequently lack context and are repetitive). But why keep trashing it and watching this subforum? My theory is that they're worried they'll have to ultimately reconsider their favorite sim and where they invest their money. Maybe not in the next year, but eventually.

• Upvote 2

Agreed regarding weather depiction. Being someone who flies gliders almost exclusively for real, I'm one of those people who bores the arse off anyone I'm with when I'm looking at the sky and pointing stuff out to them since it has such a bearing on whether the thing will actually stay up or weather you'll be landing in some irate farmer's field lol. But on the plus side, my girlfriend is actually now really interested in that stuff lol.

Of course one of the things I find interesting about FSW and the payware developers who will be supporting it (which I assume will include HiFi Simulations and REX in some way shape or form, since both already sell on Steam for DTG's FSX-SE), is that if it has a cool weather system built in by default, how would that affect a third party developer's desire to sell their stuff? Of course I kind of know the answer, in that any sort of competition like that drives development, so I daresay it will be good for us lot. :biggrin:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

With p3dv4 coming fsw is irrelevant to me.

Pretty much the way I feel, but in the opposite direction :-)

FSW is slowly bringing back the best memmories of the best flight simulator I ever used - MS FLIGHT... Playing the default Missions is enjoyable, the graphics are just OK to me, performance too, price is a joke, ... What more could I ask for ? 

For flying experience for real, I go to my local airfield, pick the glider and go soaring :-) - I like the flight dynamics model ! Weather depiction is cool, and those cloud shadows are sometimes really helpful...

Am I a FSW ###### ? Well, at least I can say I am a Boy having a lot of Fun with it !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

27 minutes ago, petkez said:

Anyone can become a Prepar3D Developer. No matter if you are a seasoned developer, or just starting out, we want to encourage you to develop for Prepar3D.

A single subscription will provide 2 full copies of Prepar3D Professional or Professional Plus for your use.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

However, the Professional license would be in effect. I have already stated my purpose of use and posted web links to the actual EULA language (which the above is not). It's pretty clear-cut.

Thanks anyway.

Barry Friedman

17 minutes ago, jcomm said:

FSW is slowly bringing back the best memmories of the best flight simulator I ever used - MS FLIGHT...

You must be kidding, that's an insult for MS Flight.

-eelis-

• Upvote 2

I truly think there is a place for FSW and I believe that place is introducing folks into the world of Flight Simulation that is our great hobby.  For many of us hardcore simmers though, not so much and I'm ok with that.  If FSW does nothing more but serve as an entry way into this hobby, then to me it's a success for all of us.  Because the more people interested in Flight Simulation, the more this hobby will proliferate.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

As a P3D fan, even I acknowledge that FSW is well ahead of P3D's initial offering.  Fast Forward 3 years, and one can predict that FSW MAYBE the better sim, especially if they're able to nail down advance weather features.  I hope they succeed as I want my flight sim products delivered via Steam. Currently, I loath the thought of reloading P3D and all my add ons; it's litteraly a 2 to 3 day process. With Steam, you just load Steam and everything is done for you. That's the world I want to live in...

it seems people are rooting against FSW because they don't have the appetite to migrate to another sim platform. I also find Boomers comments comical, accusing others of being fanboiys, while engaging in the same practice.  Good stuff...

• Upvote 2

Matt King

35 minutes ago, DylanC said:

I truly think there is a place for FSW and I believe that place is introducing folks into the world of Flight Simulation that is our great hobby.

I don't know that it is...

The implementation of the included GA aircraft is quite, erm, technical. Wrestling a turboprop to keep a straight line down the runway (there's a fresh crater in the beach by Reina Sofia in Tenerife where I cartwheeled off), autopilots with obscure controls, inability to do anything on the panel while paused etc. is not IMHO going to endear the casual flyer to the sim. At least with FSX or FS9 (and XP11 where I've downloaded the demo version) you can accelerate your aircraft off the runway, master the basics in the default or derivative aircraft then move on to the more advanced Level D, PMDG, CS etc. systems. Even my PMDG MD11 goes down the runway in a straight line and that's about as far from dumbed down as you're going to get!

• Upvote 1

I bought it because there's no demo. But while cheap, it's as broken as it gets. Impossible to fly. Without Vulkan and VR I would be very surprised if it would have any future. Windows is obsolete and FSX(W) even more.

17 minutes ago, mike4 said:

I bought it because there's no demo. But while cheap, it's as broken as it gets. Impossible to fly. Without Vulkan and VR I would be very surprised if it would have any future. Windows is obsolete and FSX(W) even more.

Lol, Windows is obsolete!? Windows still has >90% of the desktop market share.  Even with the dominate mobile computing platforms (e.g. iOS and android), windows still holds its own with 48% of the market share.  Micorsoft has an astounding $483B in capital. But hey, it's your post, so you can dismiss facts as you see fit to make a point.  Here are the numbers, if you're interested:

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Matt King

57 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

. Currently, I loath the thought of reloading P3D and all my add ons; it's litteraly a 2 to 3 day process. With Steam, you just load Steam and everything is done for you. That's the world I want to live in...

In P3D v4 "ALL" add-ons are in a separate folder so you can reinstall P3D as often as you like without affecting your add-ons.

I've supported/bought most of the flight sims that have been released in the last 2 decades, because flight simming is one of my hobbies.  The main reason that I own an expensive desktop computer (along with my expensive controllers) is to be able to run these flight sims well.  I was a beta tester for Flight!, so that one was free (same was true for FLY!).  I bought Flight School when it was released because I wanted to support what DTG was attempting to do. So Flight Sim World was also free for me, but I was planning on purchasing it.

This sim is still in early development, but I personally think they are doing a great job so far, and I have confidence that they will sort out the biggest flaws in the near future.  Even in its current early release state, its ATC is better for GA VFR flight than the ATC that comes with P3D v.3 or X-Plane 11 (and they are working on the IFR end of this).  And the AI aircraft is also much better than what I have seen in the other sims (it may just be a new version of Orbx's addon AI traffic, as that is the closest thing I can compare it to).

I don't plan on uninstalling X-Plane or P3D in the near future, but I'm currently having a great with this new flight sim and I am very optimistic about DTG's roadmap for this sim.

• Upvote 1

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Great post Paul!  I think FSW is already great being as it's only in alpha.  If TrueSky is used in the future, it will really make a huge difference.

Am not very impressed by the previews of P3Dv4 and will be sticking with XPL11 as my sim of choice for now.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.