Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Need help with dual boot setup.. Please!

My current system had win 7. In preparation for P3DV4, I decided to go with installing Win 10 in second new SSD.

I unplugged my C: Drive with win 7 OS and used another SATA point to add the second (new) SSD and installed Win 10 on it and booted off of this to make sure everything was good and it looked good and I could boot in win 10

I theb plugged in my Win 7 OS SSD as well and when I booted, it took me to BIOS to pick the boot drive.. and it seemed to go through the drill for me to pick the boot drive via the BIOS.

Since I know at some point, I would get rid of my win 7, I then unplugged the Win 7 SSD and booted (with win 10 drive as the boot drive). thinking that I would now boot into Win 10 cleanly. But that is not the case. It still keeps going to BIOS every time...  

Since the win 7 drive is not in the system, why does the system go to BIOS when I boot up?

Any Ideas?

I tried using EasyBCD

That doesn't cut it.. After I installed EasyBCD within win 7 and adding a second entry for Win 10.  when I boot up, it still goes to BIOS at startup and then when exit that, I get the dual OS choice. and this when I pick Win 10, I get an error saying that some hardware has changed  and it would not load Win 10, but I can log into Win 7.

So I removed the second entry. I tried EasyBCD install within Win10 and I have similar issue... and I removed the second entry in Easy BCD

Now I have to select the boot drive via BIOS every time I start the PC and now I get a OS choice (a single choice win 7 only if I start with win 7 boot or a single choice of win 10 only if I boot with win 10SDD)

any ideas?

What would happen if I remove the default single entry in EasyBCD? would that remove the boot sector withing the OS Drive? Is that a no no. To get back to before I installed EasyBCD.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have tried to run a dual boot with Windows 10 and 8.1 or 7 and have not had any success. I have read That Microsoft wants you to only run Windows 10 and not a dual boat any more.

I finally put a double pole, double throw switch on the front of my case that allows me to connect power to the drive that has Windows 10 or Windows 7 installed and boot up that way.

I now have a dual boot disaster in my hands.

I booted this time with the win 10. I have not yet activated this OS ( using the 30 days grace period till everything settles down)., I install P3Dv4 got that activated. Then I install the Orbx thingi the latest and download all that they have... for us to download for v4.

And the sim looks good ...but sluggish.   and so I try to reboot..

And I cannot.. Neither win 7 nor win 10 comes up. Boot sector disaster.. I try unplugging each of the OS disks and no good.

After some struggle,  I use my win 7 Acronis full diskbackup and restore my win 7 setup. Phew!

But since my win 10 is a new fresh install. I had not taken any back up.,.. and I cannot get into my Win 10. So now, I have lost my P3Dv4 activation and my Orbx probably thinks I have downloaded all the Global and regions and LCs and Trees already. Not sure how to reset Orbx for a new install.

In BIOS, I see more disks than I have,, meaning, some spurious boot sectors/options.

Sheesh!

On 5/29/2017 at 10:00 AM, 0310 said:

I have tried to run a dual boot with Windows 10 and 8.1 or 7 and have not had any success. I have read That Microsoft wants you to only run Windows 10 and not a dual boat any more.

I finally put a double pole, double throw switch on the front of my case that allows me to connect power to the drive that has Windows 10 or Windows 7 installed and boot up that way.

how do you setup a double pole, double throw switch on the front of the case? hardware? if so how? so by directing power to either of the OS disk connected to the same SATA port? I have connected to different SATA port (the two OS) which probably caused the problem

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Run two hard drives on two ports and disconnect the power switch to the hard drive you do not want to use.

Use it just like a light switch but you will be using just one switch that can have either a center off or left is on while right is off or right is on when left is off.

On 5/29/2017 at 7:00 AM, 0310 said:

OMG that is f__ing ridiculous!  Microsoft doesn't want me to run a dual boot anymore?  God help us!  Desktop computing just keeps getting worse!  I have always done dual boots.  OK, the challenge is to find a SkylakeX (or Threadripper if it looks good) mainboard that still supports Win 7.x  Great and simple OS, shame on MS to disable capability--I hate that when they do that!   Apple did this w/ two very much user-appreciated features:  they stopped using highly loved MagSafe power adaptor in the new MacBooks (except Air maybe) and then they removed the 1/8" headphone jack in iPhone 7.   Not all change is good!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Don't know where 310 gets his info from but I have a QUAD boot system running XP , Vista , W7 and W10 and all working through EasyBCD .

With EasyBCD when it is installed on one system , note which drive letter is being used for the other system and then edit the boot menu , it's all explained in the help files and I'm sure there will be video's on YouTube .

John