Sign in to follow this  
flyalways

Here is word from FSlab team about 64bit

Word of caution, however:

This does not mean "no more OOMs" - if add-on developers are not careful, we will soon realize that as soon as users turn everything to maximum, there is still a very real possibility of 8GB or 16GB of installed RAM not being enough any more to support 4096 texture sceneries, full autogen, ultra 7cm resolutions, etc - not to mention that nagging will now be transformed from "oh - my bleeping thing OOMed!" to "oh - my bleeping thing is crawling at 4 Frames Per Year (tm)".

guys, upgrade your RAM to 32GB :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

The difference now is that instead of a hard limit at 4GB which no one and nothing can overcome, we now are only limited by our budgets.

• Upvote 5

55 minutes ago, flyalways said:

Word of caution, however:

This does not mean "no more OOMs" - if add-on developers are not careful, we will soon realize that as soon as users turn everything to maximum, there is still a very real possibility of 8GB or 16GB of installed RAM not being enough any more to support 4096 texture sceneries, full autogen, ultra 7cm resolutions, etc - not to mention that nagging will now be transformed from "oh - my bleeping thing OOMed!" to "oh - my bleeping thing is crawling at 4 Frames Per Year (tm)".

guys, upgrade your RAM to 32GB :biggrin:

Yeah....

Bottleneck in the sim: optimized for current hardware technology

Bottleneck in the computer spec: memory

Bottleneck in pilot: credit card/wife(s),...

I'm more worry about the last one though

• Upvote 7

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

I just secretly bought 16 more gb. Now at 32gb

• Upvote 2

Kevin Humphryes

I'm looking at secretly going from 8 to 16. but in house house that is mission impossible!:ph34r:

I bought 16gb when I did my upgrade a few months back, hopefully that will be enough for a while!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

This is absolute nonsense! 

The strength of a chain is the strength of its weakest link.

OOM is a thing of the past.. what we would encounter is the next weakest link. FPS.  if more and more VAS is used, and consumed, the system would be able to take it in terms of VAS..... 64bit is not 50% more or even 100% more VAS, it's exponentially larger that  we would encounter the wall of other issues before OOM.  IF its truly 64 bit, OOM is a non sequitur. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I've had 64Gigs of RAM for quite a while.  That should handle it.

• Upvote 3

Also have 32 gb 3200 MHz ddr4 should also be enough.

My plan is to check how v4 works with my old x99 system (5820k) and to upgrade to x299 in october if i have not enough power :-)

Anyway the big question for me is how much more gpu vram and  gpu horsepower is needed.  May it makes more sense to upgrade to next gen gpu when they are coming.  

Btw does anyone know if amd cards will perform better with v4?

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

3 hours ago, FSXtreme said:

I've had 64Gigs of RAM for quite a while.  That should handle it.

Have a chat with my missus will you,  😂😂

she's going to hit the roof when she sees the screw drivers coming out!!!

I'm trying to work out how to secretly go from 8 to 32 gigs and a ssd without her noticing, I've got from 8.30am to 1800 and that's delivery, open. Install,  close and dispose of packaging.  I'm glad I'm not the only one!

• Upvote 4

14ppkc-6.png

4 minutes ago, tooting said:

I'm trying to work out how to secretly go from 8 to 32 gigs and a ssd without her noticing, I've got from 8.30am to 1800 and that's delivery, open. Install,  close and dispose of packaging.  I'm glad I'm not the only one!

:-) can you Imagine how Happy i was that she did not recognize my secret upgrade to a 6950x :-)

God save my secret bank account for p3d at the cayman islands ;-)

• Upvote 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

hahaha. I like that "4 frames per year>" which could almost be true if folks decide to max things way beyond the max (well, you get it).

6 hours ago, Hoang said:

Yeah....

Bottleneck in the sim: optimized for current hardware technology

Bottleneck in the computer spec: memory

Bottleneck in pilot: credit card/wife(s),...

I'm more worry about the last one though

hummmm, that's a tough one. 

4 hours ago, BamaKevin said:

I just secretly bought 16 more gb. Now at 32gb

I'm telling. 

21 minutes ago, tooting said:

Humm.. give her 2 spleeping pills. That should hold for about 8-12 hours. Good luck