Sign in to follow this  
dheyer

FSX and Steam

I have PMDG products installed on a computer running FSX boxed. I'm getting ready to start-up a new computer running FSX-SE. Can I have my licenses running on both machines at the same time? Thanks in advance.

Dwight Heyer

8 hours ago, dheyer said:

I have PMDG products installed on a computer running FSX boxed. I'm getting ready to start-up a new computer running FSX-SE. Can I have my licenses running on both machines at the same time? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if you can run on both, but SE is much more stable than boxed. Why would you still want to run them on the boxed version?

There are no problems using your PMDG products with FSX-SE. I'm running the same.

28 minutes ago, Lude2Envy said:

I'm not sure if you can run on both, but SE is much more stable than boxed. Why would you still want to run them on the boxed version?

I've run FSX many years and it is stable. I want to set up SE on my new machine  if and before I pull the plug on FSX..

Dwight Heyer

You can but not directly just check the EULA which says : 

you may use the Software on a second computer so long as only one copy is used at a time and only after having secured a second license permission from PMDG

So you can, but you don't have the right to run both at the sametime obviously, but you also have to get the permission from PMDG. For which I guess you should open a ticket on their support forum.

48 minutes ago, wedgantilles said:

So you can, but you don't have the right to run both at the sametime obviously, but you also have to get the permission from PMDG. For which I guess you should open a ticket on their support forum.

Okay, thanks for that. I look at the eula closer and maybe I'll transfer the T7 to the new machine for testing.

Dwight Heyer

1 hour ago, wedgantilles said:

You don't need permission from PMDG to install both FSX and FSXSE at the same time on the same machine.  True you cannot run FSX and FSXSE at the same time but that is a FSX/FSXSE limitation.

48 minutes ago, dheyer said:

Okay, thanks for that. I look at the eula closer and maybe I'll transfer the T7 to the new machine for testing.

I've run PMDG products on FSX FSXSE P3D and XPL for a long time without problems. Just part of my role as a beta tester.

Dan Downs KCRP

Whilst you can indeed run MS FSX boxed (or D/L) version alongside FSX-SE, and I diD for a short while, there is little point in doing so and quite a few reasons not to. First up, the SE version runs a lot better than the patched MS version, second, when you try to install stuff manually into SE, there are occasions where an install of MS FSX being on your system can cause things to go to the wrong folders and prevent things working, I had that happen numerous times and it took me a while to get some things installed and working correctly in SE because of that, so I would seriously recommend removing all traces of MS version off your PC first, and I mean literally all traces, i.e. cleaning the registry removing all folder locations from the user folder etc etc.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If I read the OP correctly, I don't think he wants to have FSX and FSX:SE on the same computer - his new PC will just have SE on it. That's my interpretation.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

52 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

If I read the OP correctly, I don't think he wants to have FSX and FSX:SE on the same computer - his new PC will just have SE on it. That's my interpretation.

Yes, that's correct. Thanks for all the comments. I guess I'm like a lot of people who are/were reluctant to move from the boxed edition. Since I can load a lot of my software into SE I wanted to give that a go for the added stability. I'm going to run XP11, FSW and I might give P3Dv4 a go. The options are getting mind boggling!  

Dwight Heyer

I have been a Disc user for a long time, and you should not have any issue especially with a new computer. Because that is one of the good thing DTG did on this simulator, when it's installed by steam if it is alone on the system it will create the same registry key as the original FSX. Which made it compatible with all addons existing and using this registry key. And it would use only a different key if FSX Steam was installed after FSX on the same hardware. 

So on this one case, they really did a good think they made little changes that solves some common issues as well, so FSX SE was a good thing. I could even install the old Fly the maddog which latest update was in 2013 while FSX SE released two years later and that install was never updated :)

I'm not fond of where they are going with FSW, I've the early access and there are a lot of things missing which were there in FSX (excample: you cannot create custom weather, choose a date and season), but I really think that FSX SE was a good move, retaining all the qualities of FSX and making it available easily.