Sign in to follow this  
Fabrice

Issue with approaches

Hi All,

I'm currently testing the trial with X-Plane 11 and have issues with approaches.

The only flight were P2A brought me to the runway was when it let me fly the STAR to the end. On other flights, although I followed instructions to the letter, vectors never brought me safely to the runway. I made several flight and here are the results:

- LSGG-LSZH: success, let me follow the STAR to the runway

- LSZH-LSGG: fail, vectored me and cleared me for ILS after I passed the loc and way too high. After this, I changed the Vector lenght distance to 5nm in the config.

- LSZH LSGG 2: half success, vectored me to the loc, but too high, had to dive to capture the GS.

- LSGG-LIMJ: fail, vectored me for a while, then suddenly vectored me directly to the airport, flew over the airport at 5600'. ATC vectored me north and never heard back from ATC (waited for a while, was almost back over Torino)

So curently, although I love P2A and see a lot of potential, I'm not very keen to spend $70 on this.

Can you please give me some tips or suggest some changes or things I may do wrong?

I fly the JAR A320 on X-Plane 11, with FlyInside.

Thanks a lot,

Fabrice

Fabrice Lambert

4 hours ago, Fabrice said:

vectored me and cleared me for ILS after I passed the loc and way too high. After this, I changed the Vector lenght distance to 5nm in the config.

vectored me to the loc, but too high, had to dive to capture the GS.

I have noticed this as well in 2.2.14 but was going to do a few more flights to see if it was common. Looks like it might be. I flew into CYHZ last night and CYYZ Thursday and the instruction to capture the ILS approach was to maintain 6500 feet at both airports. Way to high to capture a glideslope. I was already at 3000 feet ( according to approach charts ) when I received the command. Just ignored the altitude and reported when on final.

p

If you could email me (admin @ pilot2atc.com) the log files for these flights, I could take a look and see what's going on. 

The log files are in the following folder:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs

where <UserName> is your PC user name

A new file is created each time you start Pilot2ATC.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I already restarted P2A a few times, so lost the files. I just started a new flight LSGG LIMJ, but had a FlyInside crash this time... :-S

I will send you a log as soon as possible.

In all cases, I'm happy that this seems to be a non-normal behaviour and that the developper reacts quicklyy to try and fix it. I will certainly buy P2A after my 8 remaing trial days.

Thanks,

Fabrice

Fabrice Lambert

17 minutes ago, Fabrice said:

Hi Dave,

I already restarted P2A a few times, so lost the files. I just started a new flight LSGG LIMJ, but had a FlyInside crash this time... :-S

I will send you a log as soon as possible.

In all cases, I'm happy that this seems to be a non-normal behaviour and that the developper reacts quicklyy to try and fix it. I will certainly buy P2A after my 8 remaing trial days.

Thanks,

Fabrice

Your log file should still be there. P2A now archives your log files instead of replacing your last one.

NAX669.png

Thanks Mike!

Dan, I sent the logs of my three last flights (2x LSZH-LSGG and LSGG-LIMJ).

Thanks!

Fabrice

Fabrice Lambert

Greetings,

New to P2A (2218) and really liking it for the most part, but I'm struggling with several things among which the most repeatable has been vectored approaches.  I was going to start a new thread but I found this one with a search and since it covers the exact same problem I'm having I thought I would just do an update here.

I haven't had a successful approach on vectors yet out of around 5 attempts; the lateral nav part seems to work really well but for vertical guidance the controller always keeps me way too high (6000 ft. is the most popular choice but it's always right around there) until I capture the localizer; the way it sets up for me at that point the only way I'm going to make the runway is to fly the same profile as a Stuka dive bomber (which might be somewhat unsettling for the paying customers in the back...)  This has happened at different airports and with different aircraft over several flights.

From the previous thread there didn't seem to be any final resolution offered.  Any config or other changes I can make to resolve this, or do I just need to ignore the altitude directions like someone already mentioned above?

Thanks for your help!  -Kevin

Kevin S

Kevin,

I suspect what's going on is you are getting clearance for the ILS when you are at 6000.  When given clearance for the ILS, it includes clearance to fly the published altitudes, so in most cases you can begin an immediate descent to a lower altitude from which you can intercept the glide slope.

If you don't think that's the case, please email me your log file from one of these flights and I'll have a look.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply!  One of the reasons I decided to go with P2A was the very active support I've seen here on the forums.

Well, I'm not a RW pilot so 'pilot error' is always an option with me...but the instructions I'm hearing in this case seem pretty clear.  I still have at least a couple of log files that I know capture the type of scenario I'm describing, so I'll send them along.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin S

I've modified the program so that after the turn to intercept final, there is not that additional altitude to fly until intercepting final.  This will allow you to fly the published altitudes and descend to the Initial Fix altitude (usually about 2000' AGL) and intercept the glide slope.

Also, it's important to make the Vector Leg distance at least 5 NM and possibly 6 or 7 NM when flying airliners or high performance jets.

Thanks for all the input and logs.

Dave

I have have just completed my 1st flight with this program and I think it is very good, great work!

I am having however some issues during vectoring related to this thread. I was descending on the ANOR3A arrival into EDDM with the MIQ transition for ILS08L. At ROKIL I was taken off for vectors for the ILS 08L and vectored onto to a base then 45 degree intercept a 15-20 NM final which was good, the issue is I was kept at 9000 feet which is way to high and I would have had to ignored my vectoring altitude clearance of FL090 and continued descent. I know that once established on final I can descend but I was intercepting the localizer at FL090 and at about 15 NM final, pretty much impossible to make a stabilized approach in this case. Is there a way for the program to descend you to a lower altitude while on vectors? (Such as the altitude of the IF on the approach plate which for the ILS08L in EDDM is 5000 feet at MAGAT)

Thanks! Alex

Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhny71fw26qflyl/P2A_2020_Trace_File2.zip?dl=0

Edited by jalexb88

When you were cleared for the approach and told to fly heading 010 to intercept final, this cleared you to descend to the IF altitude of 5000.  That should have given you the extra time to get down 4000 feet.

If it was cutting it too close, you can make the vector leg lengths a little longer in Config to give more time for that final descent.

Dave

42 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

When you were cleared for the approach and told to fly heading 010 to intercept final, this cleared you to descend to the IF altitude of 5000.  That should have given you the extra time to get down 4000 feet.

If it was cutting it too close, you can make the vector leg lengths a little longer in Config to give more time for that final descent.

Dave

Ok that makes sense, I tried the flight once more and started the descent to IF altitude as soon as receiving the approach clearance. I also adjusted the vector leg lengths to 6 NM. This time on the vectors I was held at 10000 feet until the call "turn heading XX to intercept final cleared for approach" and I immediately started down for 5000 feet before actually intercepting the localizer. It worked but it really needed everything, early configuration & speedbrakes to make the profile. I am just curuous why it has to keep you so high (10000 feet) prior to the approach clearance.

Thanks! Alex

Edited by jalexb88

Check your Approach and Enroute Minimum AGLs in the ATC Settings.  That is likely why it's holding you up higher.  Reduce them to 1000 or 1500 ft. and see how it works.

Dave