Sign in to follow this  
wallydog

How does 64 affect the following?

The move to 64 bit is thought by many to be the silver bullet when it comes to OOM crashes.. I'm curious  if those who know can talk about how the move the 64 bit will affects the following areas

Blurries... specifically ground textures like Orbx regions and Global

Blurries due to LOD range.. mountains in background often look blurred until you are with specific range.

Photoreal... textures and mesh. Will there still be mesh popping and texture blurries.

Autogen popping

Object texture popping...i.e. Buildings that are black and then their textures come in like in skyscrapers on large city sceneries.

FPS... of course

I understand that v4 gives more power to developers and each product will yield different results but even some discussion for what to look for in an optimized add on would be helpful

More accurate replies to these questions will be given the coming week when many people would be able to test. But we can speculate.

Based on what we know far, in version 4, being 64bit, autogen could be drawn to the horizon. As more autogen can be drawn at higher distances, that should mean that the sim will not have to draw new scenery as you come close to it. So, this should greatly reduce blurries and stutters. 

Also, for the same reason no autogen popping and black texture loading should be anymore an issue. 

Of course, all of these benefits may come with performance issues, especially if you want to have everything drawn to the horizon. So, we would have to find a balance for our particular system. That's my opinion..

Just two days away now :)

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Agree, the difference between 32b and 64b is only the CPU can manipulate larger numbers and greater address space.  How this ultimately effects the rendering of the scenery still depends on your system performance and limitations.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, wallydog said:

The move to 64 bit is thought by many to be the silver bullet when it comes to OOM crashes.. I'm curious  if those who know can talk about how the move the 64 bit will affects the following areas

Blurries... specifically ground textures like Orbx regions and Global

Blurries due to LOD range.. mountains in background often look blurred until you are with specific range.

I have XP11 so I can comment on this 64bit sim but have no idea if this will translate to P3D V4...I have P3D V3 and I know of which you are talking about.

I have flown a jet in XP11 at 600 knts. No issues generally but when I am over a large city urban environment I can actually get blurries....mind you have every slider maxed out in term of objects, trees etc.  You will experience blurries by pushing the sim to its max.  If I fly GA aircraft, blurries are non existent.

Photoreal... textures and mesh. Will there still be mesh popping and texture blurries.

No mesh popping and texture blurries as above. The mesh just is...smooth as a babies butt, no mesh popping in XP11.

Autogen popping

Non existent. The autogen in XP11 is just plainly perfect. Rolls off into the distance, no popping, no LOD line where the autogen just starts to appear.

Object texture popping...i.e. Buildings that are black and then their textures come in like in skyscrapers on large city sceneries.

I have never had this issue, just the autogen popping issue, so I don't know what this is.

FPS... of course

So there are lots of things that can impact this, GPU, CPU, processing power of the motherboard. Too much to talk about here. Remember many issues are simply put by saying the more money you throw at your computer the better the result.

I have a high end gaming machine. I can load up my sim experience to a point where I can get OOM errors in FSX and P3D V3, but I have yet to get anywhere near this in XP11...and I suspect the same will be true for P3D V4 as the ability of the PC to use virtual address memory as well as RAM is so much greater.  The problem will be down the road when folks keep turning up resolution, loading in everything to the max that eventually even in 64bit, one can still get an OOM....but basically don`t worry about it for a long time yet.

I get a nice 25 fps, in downtown Seattle, KSEA, with all sliders maxed, water reflections, autogen out the ying yang, bizillions of trees, high resolution textures in XP11 and no issue with OOMs....sure hope this holds for P3D v4.

I get 50 fps + over open desert or non urban areas....not one stutter, not one pause, smoooooooth.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Let me show you a 64bit experience.

Near Squamish, BC and San Diego.

-2017-may-21-004.md.jpg
-2017-may-21-003.md.jpg
-2017-may-20-048.md.jpg
-2017-may-17-010.md.jpg
-2017-may-18-015.md.jpg

Near CAM3

My understanding is that the raw difference between 32 and 64 is about 8% improvement moving data in 64bit.  Everyone should see an improvement with their current hardware.  Maximizing your VRAM and RAM will help, but keep in mind a big hopper doesn't make the shaker table work faster to find gold.  

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, 1st fltsimguy said:

Let me show you a 64bit experience.

Near Squamish, BC and San Diego.

Looks pretty amazing to me!

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Looks very nice...

Sorry to be a negative-nally, but to be frank I fail to see how images of autogen in X-Plane relates to autogen depiction in Prepar3D V4?

It isn't even the same engine... 

• Upvote 4

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I still think if all developers like pmdg orbx flytampa etc etc head to xplane 11

P3d will be forgotten. 

Thoughts?

Only thought is that only xplane devotees think this.

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

Hope this helps. :biggrin:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

3 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Looks very nice...

Sorry to be a negative-nally, but to be frank I fail to see how images of autogen in X-Plane relates to autogen depiction in Prepar3D V4?

It isn't even the same engine... 

Wasn`t intended to...its just answering the fellows questions, says so right at the start, but I imagine the new P3D v4 will be capable of doing the same....``have XP11 so I can comment on this 64bit sim but have no idea if this will translate to P3D V4...I have P3D V3 and I know of which you are talking about.``

Near CAM3

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

I still think if all developers like pmdg orbx flytampa etc etc head to xplane 11

P3d will be forgotten. 

Thoughts?

You've evidently not been following what the PMDG boss posted on Avsim a while back when he said that some of the stuff they wanted to do in their various aircraft could not be done in X-Plane. Specifically with their new 747-400 in response to someone asking if it would be ported over to X-Plane, to which the answer was a fairly emphatic 'nope'.

Not saying nobody could ever change their mind about something, or that situations and decisions such as that are cast in stone, but Robert's answer seemed fairly unambiguous to me when he wrote that.

And the notion that a product backed by Lockheed Martin will be forgotten, sounds fairly preposterous to me. This is the company which made the U-2, SR-71 Blackbird, F-117 Nighthawk, F-22 Raptor, and the F-35 Lightning II, so I'm pretty sure they've got enough money to keep a bit of software like P3D going if they want to.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

26 minutes ago, Chock said:

You've evidently not been following what the PMDG boss posted on Avsim a while back when he said that some of the stuff they wanted to do in their various aircraft could not be done in X-Plane. Specifically with their new 747-400 in response to someone asking if it would be ported over to X-Plane, to which the answer was a fairly emphatic 'nope'.

Not saying nobody could ever change their mind about something, or that situations and decisions such as that are cast in stone, but Robert's answer seemed fairly unambiguous to me when he wrote that.

And the notion that a product backed by Lockheed Martin will be forgotten, sounds fairly preposterous to me. This is the company which made the U-2, SR-71 Blackbird, F-117 Nighthawk, F-22 Raptor, and the F-35 Lightning II, so I'm pretty sure they've got enough money to keep a bit of software like P3D going if they want to.

Chock...Thank you for saying that! I thought my head was going to pop open. I just did not want to get into a battle of wits with another unarmed person. I honestly don't know how some of these folks figure out how to get a computer to turn on unless maybe the nurses help them. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/