Sign in to follow this  
tamsini

A very simplistic, yet exciting, anticipated reality with P3D v4 (I hope)

I cannot wait to load the sim with my favorite PMDG aircraft at my favorite airport without Chaseplane warning you that vas is already at -.83 gb,  and I haven't even taken off yet.

• Upvote 3

Mario Di Lauro

never suffered oom's .guess i'm lucky.just glad that the oom bar has been raised.hope this is the end of them as it's not impossible to oom even with 64 bit

steve

my experience with V2 and V3 was that at the best setting my system could handle and still nearly always deliver a silky smooth 30fps OOM's occured nearly always. So for me 32 bit was certainly the limiting factor not performance i.e. the OOM always came before I reached unacceptable performance. 64bit will definitely raise the performance ceiling on my current system and banish OOM's

They where the two requirements I had to return to FS so Im in on V4 from day 1:biggrin:

You must have installed lots of eye-candy stuff or push the sliders forward. I use PMDG aircraft in Heathrow/Frankfurt/Amsterdam/San Francisco/Los Angeles/Kennedy...at many major airports without any OOM when taking off, in fact most of them I have 1GB left after take offf.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

31 minutes ago, Hoang said:

You must have installed lots of eye-candy stuff or push the sliders forward

Of course, we now have the hardware to do just that.

And now finally we have a sim that can do the same (with study level aircraft and ultra realistic airports)

• Upvote 2

I am definitely VAS limited rather than FPS limited

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

53 minutes ago, Hoang said:

You must have installed lots of eye-candy stuff or push the sliders forward. I use PMDG aircraft in Heathrow/Frankfurt/Amsterdam/San Francisco/Los Angeles/Kennedy...at many major airports without any OOM when taking off, in fact most of them I have 1GB left after take offf.

You must have very little installed then or sliders are very conservative. I can never go into those major hubs without OOM. I'll rephrase. Yes I can go into the major hubs IF I slide everything way down, and nearly no traffic. But then again whats the point? details are gone and no traffic at a major hub? Ruins the immersion. 

Finally we wont have to fiddle with this nonsense anymore. It is 2017 afterall

• Upvote 4

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Never had an OOM, only time  my FPS drop a bit is flying in LA or San Francisco area with FTX regions. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I was in the "never had an oom" camp for a while.  As soon as I upgraded my PC, FPS went way up, but so did OOMs.  I think modern hardware can easily, even with identical addons and settings, rapidly exceed the capabilities of the old 32-bit FSX engine.  I'm really looking forward to these new iterations that should be able to utilize fast CPU/GPU combos to their greatest extent.

• Upvote 1

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

45 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I was in the "never had an oom" camp for a while.

Yup. Me too. I think in 32-bit land there are two types of users: those who've had OOMs and those who are one or two addons away from having OOMs. In my case, it was the addition of OpenLC NA. I think most people who've never had one don't really look at their VAS. I imagine many would be surprised at how perilously close they are to hearing the ding of death. Anyway, this will soon be a thing of the past and we'll move on the next as of yet unknown scourge. :biggrin:

Walter Meier

I had very few OOMs when running GTX 770 because I had to have detail turned down, running at a detail and addon level that would generate OOMS would've been single figures FPS

Having invested in 1080ti 11gb and i7-7700k, the sim is now buttery smooth with everything enabled and sliders fully right

It now OOMs every single flight at these settings, despite rarely dipping below 30fps

Time for us to move on, just a couple days remaining :cool:

• Upvote 3

Totally agree with these last two posts.  The difference for me - I didn't even know there was a "your sim has run out of memory and will now close" dialog box until I upgraded my CPU and GPU.  If I had a CTD, I had no idea why, and it was rare.  Now I know why and it's common.  I think these are actually very different faults in the code...

Edited by Gridley
details....

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

4 hours ago, EGLD said:

Of course, we now have the hardware to do just that.

And now finally we have a sim that can do the same (with study level aircraft and ultra realistic airports)

Yes be prepared for a "new" ride :-)

André

I've never had one either....in FSX. And what was with the NGX, Fly Tampa YSSY and other orbsx regions and payware airports.  And with traffic. Usually there was around 1.4 - 1.6 GB remaining after a 2-3 hour flight. 

I suppose the possibilities are there so maybe V4 will take that possibility away. Remains to be seen what true performance will be for at least another week. 

The trouble with these declarations of "I've never had an OOM" is that people say it as though it's some kind of badge of honor.  Implication: if you have OOMs, you're clearly doing something wrong.

And then you find out that they're not running something that other people are.  "What was your AI setting?"  "Oh, I never use AI!"  Well, OK, there's the difference.

And then the discussion lands in some territory along the lines of, "Of course I don't use [FEATURE OR ADD-ON].  It's a [THING I WANT TO DO OR SEE] simulator, not a [THING I DON'T WANT TO DO OR SEE] simulator!"

And then there are hard feelings all around.

Not trying to single out any particular person in this thread or others, just talking about an overall dynamic that keeps happening.

Can we all agree that people have different preferences for how they fly, and that some of those preferences have run up against the VAS limit in 32-bit?  I know mine did when I started throwing more complex transport-category aircraft into my standard GA setup.

So I changed some settings and did better, but still had to keep an eye on the VAS limit, which was a bit of an immersion killer.

I'm looking forward to a sim where I won't have to do that.

The value of 64-bit, for me, is that it allows for more options and caters to more flightsim "lifestyles."  With luck we'll all be able to enjoy ourselves more, no matter where we fly or what we fly or what additional features we throw into the mix.

Hope so, at any rate.

• Upvote 8