Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Camphill glider field - just VFR Real

Chock posted a video of a trip in a glider at Camphill using the Silent Wings sim. FWIW here's what the area looks like in FSX:SE with VFR real photoreal scenery as a comparison. There is a freeware airfield available, but it requires stuff from other scenery libraries, so all I did was type in the coordinates and fly.

2017-5-29_11-32-55-371_zpsixgft9v8.png

2017-5-29_11-32-49-528_zpsvwazgwee.png

2017-5-29_11-32-59-279_zpsx8dvppkk.png

2017-5-29_11-36-3-210_zpsvxndikyb.png

2017-5-29_11-36-27-533_zpss1w99zwz.png

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Funnily enough, I was on the flight line at Camphill once, and it being a gliding club duty day for me that day, I was not flying, but instead in charge of the launches. It was a nice sunny day as I recall, and we were all sort of chilling out a bit awaiting the next landing or launch, when we saw a Microlight just like that one turning onto final and making an approach to land (coming in the same way as on that video I posted coincidentally). So, I tried waving him off as he passed over the launch site and I think someone else was on the radio in the old Land Rover we used as a 'tower' trying to speak to him on the airfield frequency but without any luck, since Camphill is a glider field, thus powered aircraft operations are not really permitted, not that any of us were really bothered to be honest lol. This is actually indicated from the air at Camphill by the old double white cross signal square (if one looks carefully on the photo terrain used in the screenshots above if you have it, that signal square can in fact just about be made out near where the windsock is on the side opposite from the clubhouse, hangars, caravans and other buildings, although sometimes that sign did tend to get a bit overgrown and I guess not all pilots are familiar with its meaning anyway). Anyway, the microlight did land, so we just ended up having a good chinwag with the pilot and a nosey at his aeroplane (as of course all pilots do), he grabbed a brew, had a quick slash behind the trees (yup, we all do that too since it is a bit of a trek back to where you can do it in a civilised manner) and then was on his way soon after, so those things have occasionally landed or taken off from there, even though they are not really supposed to.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here