Sign in to follow this  
XMAN

Prepar3D v4 Default aircraft and Install size

Will it be the same , or any new planes, also i wonder how big the total p3d v4 file is , i think i only have about 40 gb left , i might be free up 20 gb more

Edited by Poppet
edited Title to reflect question

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hello,

From the Prepar3D v4 system requirements at the link below you will need at least 40 gigs of hard drive space to Install and run a default Prepar3D v4 and SDK kit http://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

---------------

This is divided as follows 

Your core Prepar3D v4 Install location will have 24.5 (ish) gig's of data when the Install process has completed 

12 gigs of data (Repair Installers) will Install to your Package-cache folder on your C -drive.      C:\ProgramData \ Package-cache

If you intend to Install 3rd Party Software (Add On's) for Prepar3D v4, you will need a lot more space in your Core v4 Install folder

Note:  Even though you may choose to Install Prepar3D v4 on a different drive other then the default C Drive you will still need at Least 12 gigs of space for them Repair Installers.   

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Poppet said:

12 gigs of data (Repair Installers) will Install to your Package-cache folder on your C -drive.      C:\ProgramData \ Package-cache

I do so wish they'd stop this practice. I have a tiny 256 GB SSD for my C: drive. I ran out of space installing the latest P3Dv4 beta drop, and had to delete the P3Dv3.x cache files to make room. They should allow the user to pick another drive for the repair cache files. JMHO of course.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Why not get a second SSD drive, brother, just for P3D?

spacer.png

Hello Bill 

The only way around this is to Install the Component Installers Individually,  Client, Content and Scenery

This way the repair and prerequisites Installers do not Install to the Package-cache folder. 

Note:  This is also means the below Blue prerequisites Installers do not Install to your Computer.  After you Install the components individually the User "might" have to locate and Install these  (If your windows updates are old) 

1) Microsft Visuals 2015 vcredist_x64.exe + x86.exe Version 14.0.23026.0      
2) Direct X Setup DXSETUP.EXE Product Version 4.9.0.0904   
3) Prepar3D Setup.exe Installer                                    
3) Install_Content.msi                                            
4) msxmI6_x86.msi  Version 6.10.1129.0                            
5) Install_Client.msi                                               
6) Install_Scenery.msi   

7) Net Framework 4.6.2 

4 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Just a side-note Boomer: you seem to have a lot of brothers😁

• Upvote 2

Mario Di Lauro

18 minutes ago, Boomer said:

That would not help. My OS (Win7) and ancillary files are on my miniscule SSD C: drive. This is the default (and only) place where L-M forces the "repair file cache" to be stored.

I have a 2TB drive for all of my sim software.

Fr. Bill    

17 minutes ago, Poppet said:

The only way around this is to Install the Component Installers Individually,  Client, Content and Scenery

This way the repair and prerequisites Installers do not Install to the Package-cache folder. 

Yes, that is one "work around" but as you have noted, not without it's own set of issues.

L-M already allows the user to specify whatever drive/path to install the program, so why not allow the user to specify where the Package Cache should be archived? Alas, my pleas from years ago during v1 beta testing apparently fell on deaf ears. :bengong:

Fr. Bill    

Hi Guys,

Sorry to drop in on the conversation but what about the third party addons LM now requires you to install outside the SIM. I saw a video showing the C:\ Drive- Documents Folder. Is it that having your sim on separate SSD's is now something to consider?

Get a new, larger SSD... clone your C drive to and and swap.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

16 hours ago, MarlosB said:

Hi Guys,

Sorry to drop in on the conversation but what about the third party addons LM now requires you to install outside the SIM. I saw a video showing the C:\ Drive- Documents Folder. Is it that having your sim on separate SSD's is now something to consider?

You can move whole Documents folder to the different drive, use symlink that points to the Prepad3D addons folder on the different drive or even add additional location to store the addons (this is nicely explained in the docs).

Michał Puto

A2A Simulations | Blockhouse-C | Twitter

On 5/30/2017 at 6:05 AM, WarpD said:

Get a new, larger SSD... clone your C drive to and and swap.

So its ok to put both OS and P3D v4 on the same ssd? Why do most people split it, does it have anything to do with SPACE or Performance?

With an SSD it would have to be space more than anything, though performance is still something to consider.  However, this isn't about installing Prepar3D on the OS drive, but rather how addon discovery in v4 requires some space in the Documents folder.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Poppet,

I also have a rather small SSD C: drive as well. What will happen if I move the Package-cache folder temporarily to a bigger drive, and transfer it back when a P3D repair will be needed? WIll that be a kind of "work-around" to save space on my C: drive?

Thanks,

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)