Sign in to follow this  
dazza1980

Dawn shadow issue

Hello,

I am having an issue with ground shadows during dawn. Rather than describe, I took a small video to show the issue. In particular, if you pay attention to the white line markings you will see the shadow "banding" that I am plagued with.

Would anybody have any suggestions on what is causing this?

I am using PTA and Thopat preset if that has any bearing. Also some Nvidia Inspector tweaks. I have also deleted the shaders folder.

My current settings are

Settings%203.png

Settings%202.png

Settings%201.png

Thank you in advance

Darren

Darren Palmer

Banding is *usually* a byproduct of colorspace depth (or the lack thereof).  Do you know for certain that there is a shadow being cast in the area of the white runway marking?  

Well, the banding occurs everywhere. No matter where I am, at that time of the day the banding always occurs. I am assuming its a low level shadow being cast because of low light level. So the shadow would be coming from the lack of daylight if that makes sense.

Darren Palmer

It's not shadows that are your problem, then.  It's color-banding which is most visible at that time of day.  Shadows aren't cast by lack of light, shadows can only be created by light itself.  This can be remedied by the use of a wider color gamut often associated with HDR (nowadays).  LM can enable this wider colorspace in the sim at any point, though any textures which were made for the narrower colorspace (so everything that currently exists) would need to be re-worked to take advantage of the wider colorspace.  It could be a lot of work for add-on developers that haven't already created or saved higher color depth versions of their artwork (textures).  Those that have though would likely only need to release an updated installer package with the additional texture variants.  

Ah I see TechguyMaxC.

Well thank you for your fast response. Looks like I shall just have to endure the banding then!

I have increased the brightness of my monitor recently, I guess that has just made the issue a little more noticeable.

Darren

Darren Palmer

Increased contrast (via increased brightness) will definitely make the banding more visible.  It's one of the few remaining technical obstacles in modern sims, I would say.