Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Hesitations in Orbx FTX regions, Low altitude flying.

Version 3.4  Seems like when I fly low level, say 1-2 thousand feet AGL, in FTX regions, especially mountainous areas in Southern CA or Northern CA, I get these hesitations about every 5 miles or so, where the movement stalls for 1-2 seconds and then resumes its normal speed. FPS are my normal 30-40 FPS a second with most sliders set at mid or dense.   I wouldn't call this a stutter, more like a short pause. I do not have auto  save enabled.  I am assuming that this is caused by new scenery loading as I am flying along. Now my question is, is this a CPU or GPU issue related issue. My CPU activity when this happens looking at Task Manager seems a normal 50 percent, and the GPU is maxed out at almost 2 GIgs memory usage  ( it is a GTX 750 TI 2 GIG card)  I just ordered a 1060 6 Gig card, but I am wondering if this would have any effect on these hesitations, or is it just a scenery loading issue which only an SSD would help, and would not be helped by a better GPU, which I am going to get anyway?  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I get that as well.  It's not regular for me.  And it mostly seems to happen near the beginning of any given flight.  

I always worry the game has crashed, then it resumes.  

This didn't happen in earlier versions.  I'm running the sim from an SSD and have a 4 gb 970 and a 4.4ghz CPU.  I don't think it's our hardware.  

I see that too in the regions, SCA seems to be the worst. Must be that it is loading a lot of detail. I don't max my settings.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Ah, the syntax police...

Perhaps he just "mis-installed" the word in his title (a reference to a mistake you made in one of your topic titles).  

While not above cringing at the use of the English language myself sometimes, as in the common use of the word "literally" to mean "really," language is a fluid thing and can't be policed by individual users.  

Indeed, in this particular case, the English word "hesitation" comes through the French from the Latin haesitare, which meant, literally, to stick, remain fast, stammer.  So, in its common usage, hesitation is often applied to non-sentient beings despite it's much more traditional meaning of indecision or faltering and is quite congruent with its original meaning in the sense used in this topic title.

Philology lesson over (unless anyone wants to ask me anything about ancient Greek...I LOVE answering questions about ancient Greek (Attic or Ionic preferably)).   

• Upvote 3

I think they are called lag spikes and in Orbx regions it happens every time you come near an airport and P3D loads in the ground polygon. Flying the Q400 I get the freezes and then 5 seconds of the aircraft flying in place the Majestic support said they have never seen it before. I find this hard to believe.

11 minutes ago, Griphos said:

Ah, the syntax police...

Perhaps he just "mis-installed" the word in his title (a reference to a mistake you made in one of your topic titles).  

While not above cringing at the use of the English language myself sometimes, as in the common use of the word "literally" to mean "really," language is a fluid thing and can't be policed by individual users.  

Indeed, in this particular case, the English word "hesitation" comes through the French from the Latin haesitare, which meant, literally, to stick, remain fast, stammer.  So, in its common usage, hesitation is often applied to non-sentient beings despite it's much more traditional meaning of indecision or faltering and is quite congruent with its original meaning in the sense used in this topic title.

Philology lesson over (unless anyone wants to ask me anything about ancient Greek...I LOVE answering questions about ancient Greek (Attic or Ionic preferably)).   

That is exactly what I meant "to stick". Guess my 4 years of high school French is still in my memory banks, at least part of it. :cool:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

FWIW, my 3.4 also hesitates, pauses and sticks like that especially in NCA and SCA.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just now, vgbaron said:

FWIW, my 3.4 also hesitates, pauses and sticks like that especially in NCA and SCA.

Vic

You can remove all the bgl files that have GP in the name, it removes the ground photo around the airports though.

Hi Bob,

You are not alone. When I take off from Elgin AFB (KVPS) and turn right (W) and fly towards Hurlburt Field (KHRT) I experience a pause lasting 5secs as I approach KHRT. The sim then continues as normal. Monitoring with NVIDIA Inspector (graphing feature) shows GPU activity spiking downwards to virtually zero during this pause then it resumes the same level of activity as existed prior to the pause. This is reproduceable. After resumption of normal activity following the pause, switch to slew mode and reverse back along the flight track towards Elgin then resume normal flight towards Hurlburt Field. Alternatively fly a 360 and approach KHRT again. Very strange behaviour. When I first encountered this I thought the sim had crashed. Fortunately I waited long enough to find that this was not the case.

Regards,

Mike

I got rid of all those pauses buy first not using Orbx Vector and also by using SIM Sarter NG to manage my scenery areas. Since then I have had no more of those lousy pauses. Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

7 hours ago, Griphos said:

Ah, the syntax police...

1) he's not writing in french, doesn't matterwhere it comes from but what it means in the language you're (trying) to speak

2) you really shoud lighten up, stop buying add-ons and try searching for a good sense of humor to purchase...

Yes, your comment was SO hilarious.  And so helpful as well.  And the ironic thing is that your current position - that what words originally meant doesn't matter but only their current usage - actually works against your earlier (snippy) post.  

{Philology alert}

Because in English usage, in the language we're speaking, plenty of people use the word "hesitation" to refer to stutters.  It's quite common to use the word in reference to car acceleration, for instance, and no one thinks cars are sentient (although we often speak as if we do).  

Words "mean" what their usage generates as meaning.  And they don't change their meanings automatically when incorporated into a new language, you know, but carry their semantic fields with them.  Dictionaries aren't legislative.  They are descriptive.  Languages are living.  You were being a curmudgeon and a pedant  (there's two good words), not humorous.

And didn't you find the bit about ancient Greek humorous?  I thought it was.  I think I have a wonderful sense of humor.  :-)  For one thing, I find it quite humorous that you are lecturing me about "lightening up."  

You sure you don't want to ask me something about ancient Greek....

As to the actual topic, I don't have Global Vector, so that can't be the primary culprit.  I also don't really ever fly anywhere but Orbx scenery, so I can't compare.  I'm not sure I could say which regions offend more than others.  It doesn't happen all the time for me.  But when it does, it does last several seconds.  

• Upvote 1