Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

VR interaction not fully implemented in P3D v4

Even though multiple beta-testers (including Orbx´s CEO) have said that mouse interaction with the VC was possible using VR, that does not seem to be the case according to LM, at least not in the way we are used to with Flyinside.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6317&t=124675

Yes. VR in v4 is better than it's ever been in v2 or v3. In terms of functionality, the initial v4 offering will be similar to 3.4, but many bugs have been fixed and the experience has been refined, and polished. I can't comment on specific features, but we do plan to continue improving our native VR support. We hope to see more 3rd party plugins too. The SDK has been overhauled to better support advanced uses like VR. 

Full 3D visualization of the mouse is possible via the v4 SDK, but is not yet implemented in our native VR plugin. For now, button clicking works as it did in v3.4. There is a cross-hair rendered in VR to show the mouse location, which allows some basic use of the mouse. You'll need to click on the main app window first to focus it, and you need to line up clicks using your left eye for the best results.

I won`t be buying v4 until this feature is present, being natively or via 3rd. Party devs (sadly, Flyinside`s team is not very enthusiastic about v4).

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

JV has come back again to clarify.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/135405-prepar3d-v4-64bit-orbx-preview-4k-screenshots/?page=4#comment-1203271

Beau Hollis is referring to mouse-clicking while in full stereo mode, which is difficult to do because each screen is offset from the other.

To achieve accurate clicks I disable stereo mode and I can interact with most cockpit objects including using the mouse wheel. Disabling stereo mode does not lose any VR immersion and vastly improves FPS and smoothness.

If you want to see VR with out Steroscopic on V3.4, just follow the instructions below (bottom of the page). I personally disagree. You do loose VR immersion in none stereoscopic view.

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/virtual_reality/virtual_reality_overview.html

Weird. Many vr programs do this with no trouble, including DCS, Aerofly and others.

I'm surprised they seem to be finding it difficult

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Weird. Many vr programs do this with no trouble, including DCS, Aerofly and others.

I'm surprised they seem to be finding it difficult

i highly doubt they are finding it difficult, rather the case might be ; they dont prioritize VR as much as the other priorities :)

Considering its a sim marketed to students and training enterprises who don't usually try out nascent technologies like VR for serious learning, but the future might be different !

kind regards.

LOL, It was Sept 2015 when they gave us V3 with the "VR view". We have waited almost two years to get clickable cockpits... and they give us one eye! 

I wonder if it will be another 2 years before the other eye turns up?

3 hours ago, flibberflops said:

LOL, It was Sept 2015 when they gave us V3 with the "VR view". We have waited almost two years to get clickable cockpits... and they give us one eye! 

I wonder if it will be another 2 years before the other eye turns up?

I think VR functionality arrived with v3.4 in September of 2016, which was the last version produced until v4, so it's been about 9 months. Who knows, we might get the other eye in 4.1, which hopefully is a September release this year.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

6 hours ago, flibberflops said:

JV has come back again to clarify.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/135405-prepar3d-v4-64bit-orbx-preview-4k-screenshots/?page=4#comment-1203271

If you want to see VR with out Steroscopic on V3.4, just follow the instructions below (bottom of the page). I personally disagree. You do loose VR immersion in none stereoscopic view.

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/virtual_reality/virtual_reality_overview.html

I did not even know about this Stereo and Non-Stereo modes. How do you turn Stereo mode on/off? Just by launching it according to the link above?

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Disable stereo mode...? What does that give you? A flat 360 view? I'd call that a massive immersion killer! JV can't be serious. I totally hate flat 360 stuff. Well, that means I won't get v4 for now. I obviously was already in doubt but this is too much.

Probable that it projects everything to infinity. That's what you get when each eye has exactly the same image. You'll have huuuge cockpits, guys !!! :biggrin:

I don't know well this JV guy, but some declarations and positions he publishes get me totally stumped ! :huh:

Anyway, good to know the big progresses made on this side of the fence. Especially, welcome to 64bits! Yes, that's THE big deal. I wish you all an enjoyable week-end with the new beast !!! :-)

Cheers,

Pascal

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Disable stereo mode...? What does that give you? A flat 360 view? I'd call that a massive immersion killer! JV can't be serious. I totally hate flat 360 stuff. Well, that means I won't get v4 for now. I obviously was already in doubt but this is too much.

3 hours ago, tgcbraun said:

I did not even know about this Stereo and Non-Stereo modes. How do you turn Stereo mode on/off? Just by launching it according to the link above?

Basic you start P3D in virgin mode.

Choose the Vitual Reality cockpit view in "Views".... this will give you the normal stereoscopic view.

Then finally go into add-ons to switch to the flat vr view

Well, I bought P3D v4, and tried VR mode. I can interact with the cockpit, but there is no way I can get a centered view. My head is always looking down inside the flight deck.

I`ve set a shortcut for the HMD realignment in the menu, but that does not work. The menu link also does not work. It seems to only change between Stereo/Non-Stereo mode, as sometimes the eyes are not showing the same thing.