Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Sailaway - The Sailing Simulator

Its....... got accurate sun and moon and stars! :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Ehehe,

looks a lot like Illan Papini's Vehicle Simulator....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

54 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Ehehe,

looks a lot like Illan Papini's Vehicle Simulator....

In some respects better and in some not so much.

I've been enjoying SailAway Simulator quite a bit lately.  Currently I'm on the Bering Sea challenge...what a long trip lol, and I thought I was crazy to do long haul 777 routes.... Thankfully it keeps going while logged out.  Still looking at a week and a half or so due to the tacking.  However Bering Challenge aside, it is somewhat relaxing, yet requiring enough of a challenge to remember what all those trim lines do.  

If we are going to compare SAS to a flight sim, I first was going to compare it to FSX/P3D because of the whole world scale thing, but really, I would compare SAS to SOAR.  SAS seems very dedicated to blue water type sailing/cruising/racing, and very focused on getting sailboat physics as right as possible on a PC sim.  Like SOAR it can really teach you about the finer points of that type of hobby.  As it is still early access, it still has a lot of room to grow.  I do think it has a lot of potential, especially if a wear n tear failure system and survival aspects are incorporated.  More sailboat types will be awesome too.

From what I understand the SAS Dev team is small but dedicated, so hopefully this sim will grow into something great.

Cheers

TJ 

Cool! I was in the free pre-alpha before it went early access. Learned alot about sailing. But IDK if I could spend $40 for an alpha. There's other finished products out there trying to get to my wallet.

10 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Its....... got accurate sun and moon and stars! :biggrin:

...and also raindrops on the window....:happy:

Regards

Bill

Looks really cool. Will have to get hold of that.

Wonder if it simulates being mown down by a supertanker which didn't see you when you are halfway across the Pacific and offline? :laugh:

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Be interesting if it allows for dead reckoning navigation, does it have a compass and knot meter? Better yet if it accurately displays solar system objects and star positions in real time all it would need  is a simulated sextant to provide an altitude of the object.Before the why would you not use a gps starts the answer would be to practice sight reductions on a simulated cruise.

• Upvote 1

Gary Stewart

I wonder if I could make money coding and then selling a "Sleep Simulator" or perhaps a "Watch the Grass Grow Simulator"... :laugh:

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

But.......does it have wing flex :ph34r:

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Actually, it would be cool if it had an accurately usable sextant simulated in it, after all, any half decent sailor still carries one in case their GPS goes U/S, and if they've gone to the trouble of simulating celestial objects, then it seems like a no brainer for one to be able to use that stuff, hell, they could even put a simulated analogue wristwatch in there too so you could use that as a makeshift compass as well.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

21 hours ago, n4gix said:

I wonder if I could make money coding and then selling a "Sleep Simulator" or perhaps a "Watch the Grass Grow Simulator"... :laugh:

It exists now with all the glass cockpit equipped aircraft in flight sims zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Gary Stewart

Cool, thanks, will have to check it out some day.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060