Sign in to follow this  
Orinks

BVI Mode and staying airborne

On 6/11/2017 at 2:38 AM, Orinks said:

Gerald,

Is it possible for me to script a distance command?

IYP has a feature where I can say:

Get direction to airport

and it'll tell me the direction of the airport I'm currently flying to. Ex: Direction to Kilo Papa Hotel Alpha: 12 O'clock. 125 miles. Airport Altitude: 83 FT

I think info like this is essential for manually landing, as it's helpful to know whether ATC is vectoring me correctly on base, etc.

There's also get flight time to destination, but that's more for convenience. I'm curious if these things can be scripted--I doubt it, because VoxScript only presses key commands. I'm not sure how IYP is getting information like that, probably FSUIPC but not sure.

Also, is it possible to add BVI support to the FMC commands, given what Zkline said about the FMC's inaccessibility and lack of audio feedback when those FMC commands are executed?

I'll be buying soon.

Thanks.

There are commands such as "confirm heading and distance to airport". And you can change the airport at any time.

Therefore, we either add the verbiage variation "Get direction to airport" ourselves to the Grammar, or could do it yourself as follows...

Go to <Command> tab in MCE user interface and click <Voxscript> button.

On opening the Voxscript interface (which isn't BVI friendly right now), depending on loaded aircraft, you may or may not see pre-made flows.

"Prepare aircraft", you mentioned earlier, is one of them. We don't usually make pre-made flows for default aircraft.

It's important you make a difference between <Voxkey>, which allows you to create custom commands and tie them to specific keyboard combinations to be sent to the running simulator (P3D, FSX or FS9), and <VoxScript> which is more powerful and allows you to dictate what happens.

<Voxkey> isn't suitable for controlling switches, except for those whee the initial state doesn't matter. When you speak the command, MCE will just send a key combination to the sim, without checking switch status. That tool was intended for driving other things that respond to key commands.

Now to <Voxscript>.

There are two things you can do with it.

It can act as a translator, so you can create a custom command and tie it to a built-in one, causing the custom command to work just like the built-in one.

For instance, here is how you create a command "Get direction to airport".

In Voxscript, first decide whether the command will apply to all aircraft. If that's the case, you must untick option "Show scripts for current aircraft only".

Click <New> button, then type the speech command you'd like to use. In this case "get airport direction".

Right now, MCE doesn't know anything about that command and wouldn't recognize it.

Once the command is listed, select it and click <Edit>

In <Script Properties> screen, depending on whether you want the command to be executed silently or want FO to give you audio feedback, enable/disable the <Verbose> option. I guess for you, always use <Verbose>.

If this was a command intended to get co-pilot to perform dozens of actions, there are options to add what FO may say before or after he has completed the task.

In this case, the command won't trigger a whole flow, therefore, just click <Edit Script Properties>

In "Script Commands" panel, click the <Command> button, and type one of the built-in speech commands Co-pilot is trained to respond to. In this case "confirm heading and distance to airport". Don't forget to click save.

That's it, from now on, "Get direction to airport" has a meaning and speaking that command would be like saying one of the built-in ones. The custom command can be anything you want, except it must be different from ANY built-in commands.

Voxscript (which doesn't involve programming at all), allows you to create "custom flows and procedures". The main difference with previous example, is that you add as many commands as you'd like the FO to perform once that single custom command has been triggered.

For critical flows that would involve shutting down important systems, suggest you also tick the option "Requires confirmation". That way, should that command be recognized by accident, co-pilot will first want a confirmation before triggering the deluge of actions.

Going back to that BVI automated takeoff, you could have your own command such as "stabilize the takeoff" or whatever verbiage you'd like to use, then as part of the script (or flow if you prefer), add these built-in commands.

gear up

engage autopilot

heading hold

altitude hold

navigation reference set to gps

....add whatever you deem necessary for Fo to perform within that context. You can even script commands that have been created in <Voxkey> or aliased commands such as the one created above "Get directions to airport".

You cannot call another flow from the current flow. And you cannot script commands that involve dialing numbers, such as "set speed 250"

This approach is more efficient, because it allows you to talk to crew members naturally. Not having to rely on us constantly adding this or that speech command, which most people wouldn't even be aware exist. 

Bringing back this topic again.

So I've managed to get to my destination. Is there a voice command to increase/decrease pitch to start manual descent? My numpad 2 and 8 keys don't seem to work respectively for this.

Perhaps I forgot to turn off altitude hold, but I'm pretty sure I did. Also, how do I switch to another ATC interface, RC4 or PF3? Will it switch if PF3 connects to the simulator?

16 hours ago, Orinks said:

Bringing back this topic again.

So I've managed to get to my destination. Is there a voice command to increase/decrease pitch to start manual descent? My numpad 2 and 8 keys don't seem to work respectively for this.

Perhaps I forgot to turn off altitude hold, but I'm pretty sure I did. Also, how do I switch to another ATC interface, RC4 or PF3? Will it switch if PF3 connects to the simulator?

No such speech commands, but you could create them in Voxkey (NOT Voxscript) and associate them to their respective keys.

Be aware, if flying FSX, you need to open and edit "FSX_Demo.vkp" profile. There is a separate Voxkey profile for each simulator.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:26 PM, FS++ said:

No such speech commands, but you could create them in Voxkey (NOT Voxscript) and associate them to their respective keys.

Be aware, if flying FSX, you need to open and edit "FSX_Demo.vkp" profile. There is a separate Voxkey profile for each simulator.

So I've finally got PF3 working by setting MCE to use it. Having a few issues with it though, like it sending nonsense when trying to "Reply to ATC."

First, when using sentences like "Contact Clearance Delivery", do I first have to say "going to clearance delivery" first? When I first tried contacting clearance, it said something like:

"421, good afternoon, is with you on frequency"

Then I said "Going to Clearance Delivery" and it got that okay, and I then requested it. When I tried to acknowledge the request, things got pretty weird. I expected it to readback the ATC instructions, but instead nonsense started coming out of my FO's mouth like:

"800J 900K 1900..." and a whole bunch of other stuff that I care not to remember because it wasn't supposed to be happening.

Any idea on how to fix this? Also, when is the FO supposed to actually start managing comms for the radio? Despite the you handle comms mode on, even while airborne my FO wasn't doing anything.

That's all for now.

5 hours ago, Orinks said:

So I've finally got PF3 working by setting MCE to use it. Having a few issues with it though, like it sending nonsense when trying to "Reply to ATC."

First, when using sentences like "Contact Clearance Delivery", do I first have to say "going to clearance delivery" first? When I first tried contacting clearance, it said something like:

"421, good afternoon, is with you on frequency"

Then I said "Going to Clearance Delivery" and it got that okay, and I then requested it. When I tried to acknowledge the request, things got pretty weird. I expected it to readback the ATC instructions, but instead nonsense started coming out of my FO's mouth like:

"800J 900K 1900..." and a whole bunch of other stuff that I care not to remember because it wasn't supposed to be happening.

Any idea on how to fix this? Also, when is the FO supposed to actually start managing comms for the radio? Despite the you handle comms mode on, even while airborne my FO wasn't doing anything.

That's all for now.

"421" isn't a valid callsign.

It's either Airline_Name + Flight_Number or Aircraft_Type + last 3 letters or all letters in tail registration.

The ATC specific speech grammar expects most requests to start with Control_Center_you_are_calling.

Example: "Ground Speedbird 1007 is ready for taxi."

If you're still on MCE latest release V2.7.0.6, you need to patch your installation to get the benefit of recent improvements to PF3 interfacing.

Download MCE-PF3-Patch-5

By default, FO will be in charge of ATC. If you want to handle it yourself, once you've started MCE, tell him "I have the radio".

Hi FS++ and all,

So I did a video regarding MCE that's unlisted and isn't public yet. I am having serious problems with takeoff. I previously used ProATC/X to manage airspeed, but now I'm trying the PF3 interfacing as it gets updated.

I put the gear up, flaps go up, altitude, heading hold and autopilot go on, and despite the speed set at a reasonable 150/250, the aircraft accellerates to the point of descending and crashing.

Take a look at this video to see what I mean.

8 hours ago, Orinks said:

Hi FS++ and all,

So I did a video regarding MCE that's unlisted and isn't public yet. I am having serious problems with takeoff. I previously used ProATC/X to manage airspeed, but now I'm trying the PF3 interfacing as it gets updated.

I put the gear up, flaps go up, altitude, heading hold and autopilot go on, and despite the speed set at a reasonable 150/250, the aircraft accellerates to the point of descending and crashing.

Take a look at this video to see what I mean.

Thanks for the informative video.

Regarding the flight ending prematurely...

There was a message "Aircraft overstressed" which FSX displayed right before the flight ended. It is connected with the way you handled the joystick.

It's very hard, since you cannot see how fast the pitch is changing.

Suggest you remove option "aircraft stress causes damage" in FSX realism settings, because when you cause a high G acceleration for instance, this will be it,

The command "contact clearance delivery" or "can you please contact clearance delivery" aren't built-in commands. But you can make them available by aliasing them to "request ATC clearance" which FO is programmed to respond to.

The FO dialed a different frequency because a "silent" caption from PF3 told him he was on the wrong frequency and dialed he correct one automatically.

Assuming you're on MCE V2.7.1.5, on ground, irrespective of whether you have the ATC or the FO does, he'll automatically dial in the squawk code and assigned altitude. I guess, it's a multi-threading bug, resulting from you making multiple requests which he was already handling. Will look at what could have caused that erratic FO speech.

Whenever you're overwhelmed with ATC, just tell FO, "you have ATC" and you can rely on him to handle it automatically when airborne, including setting speed limit, assigned heading, altitude and squawk, without giving him those specific commands. Except when auto-pilot is engaged where he assumes you want to do that yourself. There is an option in "mce.ini" to override that behaviour and have him ALWAYS dial everything.

The reason we don't want to go into automatic landing right now, is due to the fact we have to deal with 40+ complex aircraft, not lack of data, like knowing ILS frequencies. How else would the aircraft slewing to runway would happen. And have you noticed, after being positioned to 31 L, FO saying "ILS frequency 111.35". Automatic landing could mean anything. Do you make it available anywhere in the flight, or at specific altitude and range from target airport. And what about those aircraft that rely on FMC (most of which don't give you access to data. Next waypoint and such)?

And no, I'm not alone in this. FS++ team is the most appropriate way to refer to us.

Thank you

8 hours ago, FS++ said:

Thanks for the informative video.

Regarding the flight ending prematurely...

There was a message "Aircraft overstressed" which FSX displayed right before the flight ended. It is connected with the way you handled the joystick.

It's very hard, since you cannot see how fast the pitch is changing.

Suggest you remove option "aircraft stress causes damage" in FSX realism settings, because when you cause a high G acceleration for instance, this will be it,

The command "contact clearance delivery" or "can you please contact clearance delivery" aren't built-in commands. But you can make them available by aliasing them to "request ATC clearance" which FO is programmed to respond to.

The FO dialed a different frequency because a "silent" caption from PF3 told him he was on the wrong frequency and dialed he correct one automatically.

Assuming you're on MCE V2.7.1.5, on ground, irrespective of whether you have the ATC or the FO does, he'll automatically dial in the squawk code and assigned altitude. I guess, it's a multi-threading bug, resulting from you making multiple requests which he was already handling. Will look at what could have caused that erratic FO speech.

Whenever you're overwhelmed with ATC, just tell FO, "you have ATC" and you can rely on him to handle it automatically when airborne, including setting speed limit, assigned heading, altitude and squawk, without giving him those specific commands. Except when auto-pilot is engaged where he assumes you want to do that yourself. There is an option in "mce.ini" to override that behaviour and have him ALWAYS dial everything.

The reason we don't want to go into automatic landing right now, is due to the fact we have to deal with 40+ complex aircraft, not lack of data, like knowing ILS frequencies. How else would the aircraft slewing to runway would happen. And have you noticed, after being positioned to 31 L, FO saying "ILS frequency 111.35". Automatic landing could mean anything. Do you make it available anywhere in the flight, or at specific altitude and range from target airport. And what about those aircraft that rely on FMC (most of which don't give you access to data. Next waypoint and such)?

And no, I'm not alone in this. FS++ team is the most appropriate way to refer to us.

Thank you

Thanks for that explination, I'll go ahead and disable that high stress option. Actually, I'm not handling the joystick, MCE is doing that.

Where is the option in the mce.ini file to have the FO dial ATC instructions, even when autopilot is on?

Regarding autoland, my suggestion is to have a command that will conduct it anywhere in the flight. Most times, I'd start it when ATC is done, usualy when they say "Contact tower on XXX when established and descend to ILS.

Since these ATC programs don't always descend to the proper altitude for the glideslope, the proper time to conduct an ILS autoland would be when ATC clears you for the ILS runway, but not quite cleared to land yet.

As for those runways that don't have a local, Glideslope or anything like that and require visual approach, I'd usually do it when ATC's done vectoring you toward the runwway and you have to continue approach. IYP always determines when to do these things with checklists, so with MCE if there's a command to auto-conduct both of these approach/landings, I could have them as part of flows.

With the visual approaches, IYP has a procedure that when saying "prepare to land on runway 25 right", for example, it will determine an entry point for that runway, turn toward it and report the distance to it every so often. It's usually a few miles away from the airport. Once it gets to it, the airport would be at my six o'clock or so, in most cases, it will then turn back so that the airport is at 12 o'clock, and I'd say it's about 15 or so miles out, but not sure how it calculates where the entry point is, as I guess that depends on runway location.

It will then start the descent around 10-9 miles out, well, it'll ask for the approach checklist first and ask if you want autoland and for it to assist you, and then do the descent if that's completed.

There is also a descent checklist, which determines a number of things, like IYP setting the airspeed to 150 under 10000 feet as per FAA rules, etc. ATC ensures this for the most part, so hopefully shouldn't have to manage speed automatically in that case.

Ideally, I'd love to manually land. Despite the new information added in the distance command, if ATC vectors me to the runway and says okay, descend to ILS. Numpad 8 is supposed to decrease pitch, but when I have MCE reading flight data, I don't get "pitch -1, pitch -2" when I press that, which means either something is holding it in it's place--I've tried turning alt hold off, and nothing, or the keyboard command isn't registering.

But, I descend and keep an eye on my current heading and the heading to the airport to see if they match. If I descend to just about touchdown, and the airport is 0 miles according to the distance command, I'm going to assume, probably wrong, that below me directly is the runway and I can safely touch down. I'm not sure if I have to flair with this 738 aircraft either, and if so I'm not sure how to go about doing that with the keyboard.

Then there's the issue of once I'm landed, how can MCE clear me of the active so PF3 can give me a gate to slew to, or sometimes it says taxi to terminal--what terminal?

If I can just figure out how to decrease pitch to manually descend I can try these things, but first I'm going to turn off that high stress option and turn off the option that disables the FO from not dialing in everything even when autopilot is on. There's a number of options under ATC settings though in that file, such as ATC1, ATC2, etc. What do those all do?

I'm flying the A320 not the B737 so I might be wrong but what strikes me in your video is that the "Speed" button on the FCU / MCP is not illuminated. That probably is the cause why the aircraft does not obey your speed commands but remains in takeoff power. Your speed command is dialed in (first 160 then 250) but apparently not responded to by the aircraft, leading to an overspeed situation. It looks like the problem isn't the pitch but the lack of decreasing power. You did not descend but just leveled off, still on takeoff power. You crashed (aircraft overstressed) because of the overspeed.

I don't know how to solve this because I don't know the B737. Maybe a B737 pilot can help.

22 hours ago, Orinks said:

Thanks for that explination, I'll go ahead and disable that high stress option. Actually, I'm not handling the joystick, MCE is doing that.

Where is the option in the mce.ini file to have the FO dial ATC instructions, even when autopilot is on?

Regarding autoland, my suggestion is to have a command that will conduct it anywhere in the flight. Most times, I'd start it when ATC is done, usualy when they say "Contact tower on XXX when established and descend to ILS.

Since these ATC programs don't always descend to the proper altitude for the glideslope, the proper time to conduct an ILS autoland would be when ATC clears you for the ILS runway, but not quite cleared to land yet.

As for those runways that don't have a local, Glideslope or anything like that and require visual approach, I'd usually do it when ATC's done vectoring you toward the runwway and you have to continue approach. IYP always determines when to do these things with checklists, so with MCE if there's a command to auto-conduct both of these approach/landings, I could have them as part of flows.

With the visual approaches, IYP has a procedure that when saying "prepare to land on runway 25 right", for example, it will determine an entry point for that runway, turn toward it and report the distance to it every so often. It's usually a few miles away from the airport. Once it gets to it, the airport would be at my six o'clock or so, in most cases, it will then turn back so that the airport is at 12 o'clock, and I'd say it's about 15 or so miles out, but not sure how it calculates where the entry point is, as I guess that depends on runway location.

It will then start the descent around 10-9 miles out, well, it'll ask for the approach checklist first and ask if you want autoland and for it to assist you, and then do the descent if that's completed.

There is also a descent checklist, which determines a number of things, like IYP setting the airspeed to 150 under 10000 feet as per FAA rules, etc. ATC ensures this for the most part, so hopefully shouldn't have to manage speed automatically in that case.

Ideally, I'd love to manually land. Despite the new information added in the distance command, if ATC vectors me to the runway and says okay, descend to ILS. Numpad 8 is supposed to decrease pitch, but when I have MCE reading flight data, I don't get "pitch -1, pitch -2" when I press that, which means either something is holding it in it's place--I've tried turning alt hold off, and nothing, or the keyboard command isn't registering.

But, I descend and keep an eye on my current heading and the heading to the airport to see if they match. If I descend to just about touchdown, and the airport is 0 miles according to the distance command, I'm going to assume, probably wrong, that below me directly is the runway and I can safely touch down. I'm not sure if I have to flair with this 738 aircraft either, and if so I'm not sure how to go about doing that with the keyboard.

Then there's the issue of once I'm landed, how can MCE clear me of the active so PF3 can give me a gate to slew to, or sometimes it says taxi to terminal--what terminal?

If I can just figure out how to decrease pitch to manually descend I can try these things, but first I'm going to turn off that high stress option and turn off the option that disables the FO from not dialing in everything even when autopilot is on. There's a number of options under ATC settings though in that file, such as ATC1, ATC2, etc. What do those all do?

Apologies.

The option that gets the FO to always dial autopilot values isn't in yet.

There is one for always dialing VHF. Add this entry to [ATC] section in "mce.ini"

[ATC]

FoAlwaysDialsVHF=1

Please download and install latest release V2.7.1.6

7 hours ago, FS++ said:

Apologies.

The option that gets the FO to always dial autopilot values isn't in yet.

There is one for always dialing VHF. Add this entry to [ATC] section in "mce.ini"

[ATC]

FoAlwaysDialsVHF=1

Please download and install latest release V2.7.1.6

I downloaded it, but nothing much has changed as far as I can see. Is there an MCE changelog somewhere so we can keep track of releases?

Also, I've figured out what is going on with the 737 speed, and it is the autopilot.

I tested it by not turning auto-throttle on, even going so far as to not turn on the autopilot. I took off, manually slowed down with F2 to put the gear and flaps up, and then put the alt hold and heading holds on.

The result was a relatively smooth climb, even though I may have been going a bit too fast. I also then put climb thrust on, since for some reason when I say climb thrust after takeoff, it always seems to revert back to takeoff power.

Then, I finally put autopilot on. And of course, I started accelerating, the point of overspeed. Once I started descending steeply, I put NVDA to sleep and mashed Numpad 8 as quick as I could which I think made me pull up. It was short-lived, though, because once I was climbing autopilot made me lose control and I started descending and once again crashed.

I saw in the instruments document something about airspeed lock. Will this prevent autopilot from accelerating, despite the speed set at 250 with the speed command? My FO set it and autopilot doesn't care. If so, should I just do that after takeoff? Airspeed lock sounds like, despite the speed set for autopilot, it won't change because it's locked in place.

Why this accelerating and overspeed though?

On 6/23/2017 at 1:35 AM, Orinks said:

I downloaded it, but nothing much has changed as far as I can see. Is there an MCE changelog somewhere so we can keep track of releases?

Also, I've figured out what is going on with the 737 speed, and it is the autopilot.

I tested it by not turning auto-throttle on, even going so far as to not turn on the autopilot. I took off, manually slowed down with F2 to put the gear and flaps up, and then put the alt hold and heading holds on.

The result was a relatively smooth climb, even though I may have been going a bit too fast. I also then put climb thrust on, since for some reason when I say climb thrust after takeoff, it always seems to revert back to takeoff power.

Then, I finally put autopilot on. And of course, I started accelerating, the point of overspeed. Once I started descending steeply, I put NVDA to sleep and mashed Numpad 8 as quick as I could which I think made me pull up. It was short-lived, though, because once I was climbing autopilot made me lose control and I started descending and once again crashed.

I saw in the instruments document something about airspeed lock. Will this prevent autopilot from accelerating, despite the speed set at 250 with the speed command? My FO set it and autopilot doesn't care. If so, should I just do that after takeoff? Airspeed lock sounds like, despite the speed set for autopilot, it won't change because it's locked in place.

Why this accelerating and overspeed though?

Install this patch (manually replace a single file)

That non-sense FO spoke in your video shouldn't happen again.

There is now a new option that will get Fo to always dial auto-pilot stuff and transponder.

In "mce.ini", [ATC] section, add these lines.

FoAlwaysDialsVHF=1

FoAlwaysDialsAfs=1

With the two options above, assuming MCE PF3 interfacing is working as expected, you can count on him/her to dial frequencies and auto-pilot ATC related instructions (speed limit, assigned heading and altitude), so you can concentrate on the flying bit,

1 hour ago, FS++ said:

There is now a new option that will get Fo to always dial auto-pilot stuff and transponder.

FoAlwaysDialsVHF=1

FoAlwaysDialsAfs=1

With the two options above, assuming MCE PF3 interfacing is working as expected, you can count on him/her to dial frequencies and auto-pilot ATC related instructions (speed limit, assigned heading and altitude), so you can concentrate on the flying bit,

Thanks for this, I will try it.

On a sad note, Its your Plane is no longer being sold as of June 9, though I'm just hearing of it today. MCE is pretty much the only go-to solution for those who don't have an IYP license now. Basically, any new BVI simmers.

Going to go install this patch now.

13 hours ago, FS++ said:

FoAlwaysDialsVHF=1

FoAlwaysDialsAfs=1

Hi everyone,

Made another video. What on earth happened to PF3 here?

I'm not sure about manually descending still, but I've also had issues setting airspeed.

Hope this is informative again.

7 hours ago, Orinks said:

Hi everyone,

Made another video. What on earth happened to PF3 here?

I'm not sure about manually descending still, but I've also had issues setting airspeed.

Hope this is informative again.

Well, at least you tried :laugh:

I think, you're putting yourself under too much stress.

A 737 departure from a major hub with extreme traffic can be very taxing.

FO did set the initial ATC altitude. But when yoiu commanded "Altitude hold", it reverted to 100 (current airport altitude). That's why you ended up decending right after takeoff.

Fuel pumps on an airliner aren't operated like the booster pumps on light aircraft which you only switch on during critical phases (startup, takeoff or landing). On a 737 they should always be ON, unless there is no fuel in the tank.

You need to know the flaps settings for 737 by heart.

Our FO won't dial 150 knots when Flaps are retracted.

This is how the professionals do it on a 737

Get initial speed on approach around 210 or 220 knots, then extend them incrementally.

You: Set flaps 1

Fo: Flaps 1 selected

You: Set speed 190

Fo: Speed set

At 190 or above

You: Flaps 5

Fo: Flaps 5 set

You: Set speed 170

You could eventually set flaps to 10 (if you need to slow down to 160 due to ATC) without extending the gear. But the default FSX plane has a bug and if you do, you get the gear alarm. Therefore, stay at Flaps 5 until you're ready to extend the gear

You: Gear down

Fo: gear coming down.

You: Flaps 15

Fo: Flaps 15 set

The command: Flaps 25, 30 or 40 at your convenience.

Whenever you command a flaps detent that is 2 notches farther from the current one, Fo will treat it as unusual and will want confirmation first.

For example, you're at Flaps 5 and say "full flaps". But once you agree, he will set the flaps as you wish.

Never fly the 737 below 210 knots with no flaps, unless you're coming on long final for a high speed flap-less landing (with no turn allowed). And you'd typically need around 170 knots to keep it from stalling.

The glitch about KJK (missing Foxtrot) is the direct result of recent tweaks made to accommodate PF3 captions. It was changed from "Foxtrot" to "Fox-trot" causing FO to miss the audio on that particular statement.