Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Throttle levers in v/c spike above 100% N1

I'm using a Saitek TQ and have been having issues with spiking in the past. Was able to fix it though by cleaning the potentiometers in my Saitek TQ and since doing that all has been good. Or so I thought...

Today I noticed with the engines running how both throttle levers in the v/c started spiking when I advanced them past 100% N1.

First I thought I again was seeing a problem with my Saitek TQ. What I found weird though was that looking at the FSUIPC calibration tab I didn't notice any spikes when advancing the levers all the way forward. Next thing I tried was doing the same thing but with the engines shut down and what do you know...no spiking at all.

So...for whatever reason this spiking only happens with the engines running. No idea for how long it's been like this. Guess it could have been like this for quite some time without me paying attention to it. And fact is it's not often I advance the throttles past 100 N1 doing normal flying. Usually I rely on TOGA during t/o and the thrust setting commanded by the FMC which never exceeds 100% N1 during normal flying. Instead usually derated thrust and flex temp is used.

Anyone else noticed this? And I wonder if there's an explanation why the throttle levers in the v/c behave like this when advancing the throttles past 100% N1? Looking at the N1 readout in the NGX I don't see any spiking, it's only the levers themselves in the v/c that are spiking visually.

Edited to add that I just tried the same thing with a couple of the default a/c in P3D and didn't see the issue with any of them meaning this is a problem with the NGX exclusively. And since I haven't changed anything in regards of the NGX installation and there have been no updates for the NGX in quite some time this problem must have been there for a long time only I didn't notice it until tonight.

Would be very interesting to hear if other see this issue as well or if it's something spooky with my setup.

Richard Åsberg

Confusion, you say N1 doesn't exceed 100% but the visual animation of the levers in the virtual cockpit do? How do you tell when a lever has exceed 100%N1 without the gauge?

Dan Downs KCRP

When I manually move the thrust levers forward with the engines running, when passing 100% N1 based on the N1 gauge readout the levers in the v/c start spiking. Looking at the N1 value on the gauge no spiking is indicated, the value is stable at the same time the visual representation of the levers in the v/c shows how the levers are spiking.

Moving the levers all the way forward with engines not running there's no spiking looking at the levers in the v/c.

Richard Åsberg

This may help dunno but whenever I have spiking I  give saitek T a good long squirt with electronic contact cleaner using the straw attachment deep into the throttle where they pivot 

Works every time 

ZORAN

As explained in my initial post I have already confirmed this is not a hardware issue with my Saitek TQ but a problem exclusive for the NGX.

Richard Åsberg

37 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

As explained in my initial post I have already confirmed this is not a hardware issue with my Saitek TQ but a problem exclusive for the NGX.

I have had  plenty of spiking problems with the NGX and not other aircraft. Must be they are more sensative to conflicts . To be absolutely positively sure you should download the saitek calibration tool from the website. 

After that you can try uninstalling the NGX and reinstalling 

If no joy  you may need to delete the 737 profile from fsuipc and set it up again. 

I forget what steps I did but pretty sure it was all of the above 

ZORAN

Thanks for your input and trying to help but I honestly don't see how reinstalling or setting up things from scratch could solve this issue.

If I had this problem both with the engines running and when shut down it would be a different story. And even more so if I saw the same problem in FSUIPC looking at the calibration tab. Now however as already mentioned I only see this problem when the engines are running.

So just to have it confirmed Venturi - when you have the engines running in the NGX and you move the throttle levers on your Saitek TQ all the way forward you see no spiking looking at the visual representation of the throttle levers in the v/c?

Should also mention that I have removed all axis stuff from P3D and rely exclusively on FSUIPC for the TQ as well as the rudder pedals (CH). For the yoke I use a separate software from the developer of the yoke meaning this one is not setup in P3D nor in FSUIPC.

Now that I mentioned my yoke I'm starting to wonder if that one could have anything to do with this because I recently got it. Maybe it would be worth unplugging it and temporarily uninstall its software to see if this problem goes away.

Will do some more testing tonight.

Richard Åsberg

3 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Will do some more testing tonight.

Good for you for ignoring "zoran" who did offer wrong information.  Note over 3500 posts and they still chose to ignore PMDG forum rules.

Anyway, back on topic, I just ran a test in my PMDG 738 and when I first advanced the throttles to the full end stop the animation was perfectly smooth and at 102.7%N1 the visual animation didn't stutter (I prefer this description to spike). However, when I reduced thrust slightly and push forward then I did see the animation stutter.  In my case I had to mistreat it to see the effect but I agree it is there.

My concern is why are you doing this?  This is never normal procedure.  Interested to hear how you got into this corner of the envelope testing the VC throttle animation when at most we increase to about 60% travel hit toga and then advance our throttles to match the setting on the N1 gauge using the "show position when moving" option.  I've never fire walled the throttles in normal use.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Good for you for ignoring "zoran" who did offer wrong information.  Note over 3500 posts and they still chose to ignore PMDG forum rules.

Anyway, back on topic, I just ran a test in my PMDG 738 and when I first advanced the throttles to the full end stop the animation was perfectly smooth and at 102.7%N1 the visual animation didn't stutter (I prefer this description to spike). However, when I reduced thrust slightly and push forward then I did see the animation stutter.  In my case I had to mistreat it to see the effect but I agree it is there.

My concern is why are you doing this?  This is never normal procedure.  Interested to hear how you got into this corner of the envelope testing the VC throttle animation when at most we increase to about 60% travel hit toga and then advance our throttles to match the setting on the N1 gauge using the "show position when moving" option.  I've never fire walled the throttles in normal use.

OMG how bitter have the avsim posters  become? 

Just trying to help but tell me if you praise the OP for ignoring my wrong information then how do you ignore the OP'S response 

"Now that I mentioned my yoke I'm starting to wonder if that one could have anything to do with this because I recently got it. "

What is happening to avsim. Away 6 months and it's just getting more aggressive! 

Time to switch to digital combat world where there is respect amongst members. 

Zoran maksic.. Single white male, 6ft 3 who accidentally forgot to sign off... Phhfffffftt! 

ZORAN

Thanks for the confirmation it's not just me.

Like you say this is never an issue on normal flights. The only reason I noticed this was because I'm installing a body shaker under my chair and wanted to experience how it performs :) 

Richard Åsberg

And thanks to you Zoran for trying to help me, I'm glad for any help and advice I receive when having an issue.

Good thing though now that I know this isn't just on my side. And again, during normal flying it's a non issue.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg