Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

This one is a must PMDG

• Upvote 2

Dave Taylor gb.png

Cannot somehow envisage it happening as Just Flight are also developing one.

Sure, they'd sell about as many as Vickers did . . . on the other hand, I've actually seen this aircraft in action since the British mission in Washington, D.C. had at least one for various diplomatic activities. It is one of the most amazingly loud transports that ever operated out of IAD! Presumably, the RAF version made no attempt at silencing . . .

DJ

5 minutes ago, ubersu said:

Sure, they'd sell about as many as Vickers did . . . on the other hand, I've actually seen this aircraft in action since the British mission in Washington, D.C. had at least one for various diplomatic activities. It is one of the most amazingly loud transports that ever operated out of IAD! Presumably, the RAF version made no attempt at silencing . . .

DJ

I remember seeing them all the time here growing up. One of the loudest that ever came in, and my old house was right under 1L (now 1C).

Kyle Rodgers

That was one of its drawback, the loud noise and at the time it was in service, with cities implementing noise abatement restrictions, it became a no-no buy for airlines. But because it was an ideal aircraft for hot weather high altitude ops, like at Nairobi airport, it was popular with British United and East African Airways. Now, as regards the RAF, as it operates out of bases that do not come under the strict noise-abatement policies of major cities, it operated out my former base, Brize Norton, without any restrictions. 

I lost count the number of times I have had a coffee mug go slithering off the window ledge as my service quarters were close to the runway at Brize Norton, as it took off at all hours of the day or night.

This one is louder still!

And this one  go to 18 minutes to hear it from the cockpit. Sadly the only VC10 that works properly in any sim are my updated panels of David Maltby's Super VC10 in FS9. Having said that there is an event during the let down that is modelled "only" in FS9. Eat your hat P3Dv4!!

• Upvote 1

I grew up watching VC10's and later my father lived under the Brize approach so one could sit in his garden and have one's ears assaulted regularly. It was of course the fastest subsonic airliner ever built and nothing else has ever come close to it in that. Gorgeous plane, staggering performance and very much missed.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Apart from the politics which was all down to Guthrie bad mouthing the VC10 at ever opportunity and hiding the fact that the VC10 was BOAC's most popular and profitable a/c! Yes it should be modelled by someone. I am not  modeller so it won't be me. The reason it should be modelled is its historic importance within aviation. It was innovative and cutting edge to say the least. The wing was a super critical design. The 10 was the first T tail to not have deep stall characteristics. Unlike the BAC1-11 and Trident. They did more than 2,000 stall tests and could not deep stall it. Because of this it was initially decided to not fit a stick pusher but Vickers being the belt and braces company tht they were fitted in the end. I have modelled the stick pusher in my panel updates and as far as I am aware it is the only a/c in the sim world with that feature modelled!

Both Concorde and Airbus owe their existance to the design innovation of the VC10. The A380 has the same Kuchemann wingtips and undercarriage! And performance wise only the A320 can match it on take-off today. The VC10 with a full payload could still take-off one third of the way down Heathrow's runways and be at 2,000ft while the 707 was still on the ground!

I corrected DM's model to have the right %MAC in order to use the proper tail plane incidence table. And also the engines were completely remodelled as they were all MS default thrust originally. P7 took forever to do and so on. So the air file tables are as close as I can get them. As an aside I wonder how the VC10 would translate to XPL in that the wing being super critical has three planforms. The airfile table takes an average.

I'd love to be able to do a model for P3Dv4 but as I said I'm not a modeller and also my teeth are becoming exceedingly long nowadays. I have no experience at all in creating VC cockpits etc. Systems, gauges and stuff certainly but not the actual model. But yes it is a dream to one day see a sim model of the VC10 to PMDG's high standard.

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2017 at 9:37 PM, G7USL said:

The guy at 5:37 not watching the landing :bengong:

What a plonker.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

2 hours ago, nealmac said:

The guy at 5:37 not watching the landing :bengong:

What a plonker.

That video clip is famous for the little girl's comment right at the very end!!

Yeah I love the little kid's British Accent at the end- try to find a little small child in America using such descriptive works and a complete sentence, "That was actually quite deafening wasn't it?" 

And the fellow not watching the landing - well, some folks I guess go to this stuff but don't really care.  Maybe he was making an emergency run to the restroom.

Love the plane, but I don't see it as part of the PDMG business model anytime soon.

Mark Trainer

14 hours ago, vololiberista said:

That video clip is famous for the little girl's comment right at the very end!!

I didn't hear what she said. It was quite deafening :wink:

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

On 5/31/2017 at 0:54 AM, vololiberista said:

I'd love to be able to do a model for P3Dv4 but

Have you inquired into working with the Just Flight team on their VC-10? I would think your knowledge would be valuable to them.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4