Sign in to follow this  
flyalways

I think I will stick with v3

Let's say I bought v4 with 32GB RAM, it'll cost almost $300.  No Thanks.  

Without any significantly improved visual or scenery performance, and found there is actually no big difference than v3,

there is no need to go for v4 , unless if you encounter OOM problems. If you're HEAVY flight simulation add-on  simmers

like adding REX or ORBX, then you might need v4 64bit, but if you only install few aircraft and couple of few sceneries, I think v3 is still worth while.  

• Upvote 1

I don't necessarily believe the 32GB is necessary off the gate. I am going to see what I get with 16GB. To me P3D3 is perfect. But I want to be able to fly the FSLABS without a OOM or fly over NYCX with out an OOM. So I am excited to try it. If I find I need a 32GB I will buy later. 

• Upvote 1

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I'm having 16GB of RAM with GTX1080, will see how it works with V4 tomorrow, 19 hours to go.

My computer handles V3 beautifully with very good performance, even when using the most complex addons together. The major downside is of course OOM problem, I do not have it often as I know how to avoid it but that means I have to do and not do certain things. Now with V4 those restrictions are lifted and I can fly without worrying ding ding sound. Besides, I could probably fly several legs at the same time (with same aircraft) without having to restart P3D, that is very nice!

Having day off tomorrow, will be interesting.

Hoang Le

• Upvote 1

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

yes, tomorrow will be interesting day for all of us, and will going to decide whether go for v4 or not. 

1 minute ago, flyalways said:

yes, tomorrow will be interesting day for all of us, and will going to decide whether go for v4 or not. 

I hate to make a guess right now but very likely they going to have 60 days refund
Cheers!

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

I hit OOM chronicly with v3 andso eagerly await 64 bit awesomeness, brother.  Nothing ruins a carefully planned flight like an OOM, just the fear of it coming ruins the immersion.

spacer.png

I agree that people who are satisfied with what they currently have shouldn't rush out to get the latest and greatest.  Why take on the inevitable challenges of starting over?   Wait until the need arises or, at least, until it's shown to be stable.  In fact, I would encourage everyone to avoid buying v4 tomorrow.  I'm willing to take one for the team and be the first to buy it, however painful it might be.

• Upvote 3

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

Lol...well played.

...you're just trying to lighten server purchase load...

spacer.png

I hoped it wouldn't be that obvious.  Oh well, let the games begin...

• Upvote 2

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

5 minutes ago, LRW said:

I hoped it wouldn't be that obvious.  Oh well, let the games begin...

Cheers, brother Larry...good times ahead.

spacer.png

Even if you have only 1 or 2 addon scenery and and 1 or 2 aircrafts, you still need V4. For the fact that you could have a larger LOD of autogens into "infinity".

• Upvote 2

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

1 hour ago, Manny said:

Even if you have only 1 or 2 addon scenery and and 1 or 2 aircrafts, you still need V4. For the fact that you could have a larger LOD of autogens into "infinity".

That's not entirely correct Manny. The LOD radio9us is greatly improved but you do NOT get it out to infinity. Depending on altitude you may get it to the horizon or you may run into the normal haze layer, etc. But if you think you can go up to FL30 and see autogen to the horizon - you will be disappointed BUT it will still be better than currently.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

There is a big confusion OOMs are not related to RAM but to Virtual address space (VAS), the amount of memory your system can address to a specific program. If you don't have enough RAM the system will use the paging file.

The theoretical memory limits in 16, 32 and 64 bit machines are as follows:

16 bit = 65, 536 bytes (64 Kilobytes)

32 bit = 4, 294, 967, 295 bytes (4 Gigabytes)

64 bit = 18, 446, 744, 073, 709, 551, 616 (16 Exabytes)

That is why in a 32 bit program you can have OOMs even if you have 32GB of RAM

The usage of the paging file will reduce performance, but there will be no OOMs unless your paging file is limited in size.

If you have P3D V3 configured correctly, and I mean down to the smallest detail, it's great.  I manage my add-ons, use PTA Tool, Nividia Inspector settings as will as manage my scenery library for each flight.  I have a ton of add-ons including PMDG, most of Orbyx Base,Vector,Trees and North America/Alaska Open LC along with over 50 add on airports.  I also have PercipitFX and Rex Texture Direct.  You don't usually have any OOM's as long as your sim is Configured and Managed Correctly.  I will move to V4 but not until FSUIPC V5 and Spad.Next comes available.  Most don't understand that most add-ons will not even work as you NEED them to without FSUIPC or SPAD.NEXT if you have a lot of hardware add-ons.  Ultimately It's up to what your willing to gain and then lose in your sim while the transition period occurs.  Sooner or Later P3D V4 will be used by all of us.  Look at my video below and watch my preview video of my channel.  It is P3D V3.4 with all my add-ons configured.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuxVAnIUz-OlmKDAXinbfLQ