Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Kittelty

FUEL STAB XFR

Hi guys, I was setting up for a long haul Santiago-Sydney and after entering 168,000 Kg I received an eicas message "fuel stab xfr" meaning fuel will not transfer from the stab tank to the cwt. With no failures selected and fuel pumps on and all systems serviced I can't understand why I'm getting this message. I completed the flight without using the fuel in the stab tank.

Regards

Jeff

I don't fly kgs very often so I cannot easily guess as to the quantities in your tanks on receiving a 168T load.  Normally, as you know, the stab tanks don't transfer to center until center is below about 36.5T.  Your annunciation on the ground tells me that possibly the transfer/jettison valves were not lined up (schematic FCOM 12.20.10)?  There's too many variables to figure this one out without more detail.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the reply, the message remains on the upper eicas display for the entire flight? I'm unable to use stab tank fuel?

Sorry Kevin can't do the screenshots at the moment, I did mean the upper eicas panel it's a yellow message top right hand corner selected by pressing recal "FUEL STAB XFR" and all pumps and cross feed valves on/open.

2 hours ago, jkitt said:

Sorry Kevin can't do the screenshots at the moment, I did mean the upper eicas panel it's a yellow message top right hand corner selected by pressing recal "FUEL STAB XFR" and all pumps and cross feed valves on/open.

Welcome to the forum. Please note that full names - first and last - are required to be placed in your posts, either manually typed at the end each time, or by utilizing an auto-signature in your user settings here in the forum.

Kyle Rodgers

3 hours ago, Jeff Kittelty said:

I know what you meant. I asked for screenshots of the lower EICAS on the fuel page, so I could see what your fuel configuration looked like. The only other suggestion I can give is to look at the QRH and follow the procedures outlined for that particular EICAS message.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

3 hours ago, Jeff Kittelty said:

I checked the fuel configuration and everything is correct, I'll try a repair/reinstall.

Regards

Jeff Kittelty

No..., again and again we ask that reinstall only be used in specific cases.  I am convince you have a fuel configuration error and we are trying to figure that out.  Kevin's request for the fuel synoptic was exactly that, please help us help you.

Dan Downs KCRP

Apart from what Dan said, I also suggested following the procedures for that EICAS message, which can be found in the QRH. Trying to help here, but you're not really letting us do that.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

The FSMC should close the 2 and 3 crossfeeds when you extend flaps to takeoff position.  Is that happening?

Dan Downs KCRP

On 5/29/2017 at 7:02 PM, Jeff Kittelty said:

Hi guys, I was setting up for a long haul Santiago-Sydney and after entering 168,000 Kg I received an eicas message "fuel stab xfr" meaning fuel will not transfer from the stab tank to the cwt. With no failures selected and fuel pumps on and all systems serviced I can't understand why I'm getting this message. I completed the flight without using the fuel in the stab tank.

Regards

Jeff

Jeff, 

Just to confirm,

Yo didn't happen to select the STAB pumps to ON, while on the ground ?

Assuming you have the updated fuel system logic set to "yes" (all in service -400s have this), you only ARM the STAB pumps once the EICAS message tells you to. Triggered by 10 minutes at less than 5 degrees ANU.

I have flown with 169-170t including 7-8t in the HST tanks, and the transfer logic worked as advertised. RR -400 and GE -400ER.

Thanks for the reply, I did select the STAB pumps on the ground and the Qantas vh-ojm fuel system is updated. I need to read the manual!

Regards

Fired up the Queen again and the "FUEL STAB XFR" message pops up when there's fuel in the stab tank, if I reduce the fuel quantity so there's no fuel in the stab the message goes away, pumps on/off makes no difference. Unable to transfer fuel from the stab during long haul flight as well, landed with 24k total and 4k in the stab?

Regards