Hi all,

I am putting together a new computer build which includes FSX steam, and Thrustmaster Hotus Warthog and Thrusmaster pedals.  I have used FS9 with a joystick in the past with quite a few add-ons and will be installing that also.  I never had a complex setup though like warthog and pedals.  The main question is how to go about setting up the throttle, joystick, and pedals.  I have searched a lot on these forums and seems as if using FSUIPC and/or? LINDA is the most recommended way to go forward.  I did have a registered version of FSUIPC at some point in the past.  Just looking for any input, advise, guides, profiles, etc to get this all setup without having to reinvent the wheel so to speak.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

I have the Thrustmaster Warthog and Throttles, and using MFG Crosswinds Pedals (highly recommended piece of gear by the way- google up their web site).

For the most part you can just plug it in and go; the basics work right off the bat after going into Prepar3D settings.  The most common functions I've used in Prepar3D is to simply map different button presses on the joystick, things like flaps up or down a notch, trim, gear up/down.

The throttle on the other hand, has a ton of switches for use but a lot of them are hard to find correct uses for.   For example, The switch to the left of the left throttle has three positions, the forward position is spring loaded so it only stays there as long as it is held down and then springs back to its center position.  The rear-most position is a click and it will hold position.  The only use I can think of for something like that might be an APU start on the 737 where you press and hold the start sequence and then release once it gets going.   The rear-most position could be to turn the APU off.

Another three switch is spring loaded in the forward and rear positions and snap back to center when not being used.  I guess that could be setup to a zoom in/out, or increase/decrease a particular knob.

The push buttons on the throttle seem to be quite stiff with very little throw.   

Some switches on the throttle as dual position toggles and they have the most use in my opinion since a lot of things in cockpits work that way (simply on/off).

I'll also mention that if you're flying anything other than the Warthog, most of the buttons won't be labeled properly.   Most of my time these days are in PDMG 737.   So as of this time, most of the bells and whistles on the throttle are going unused.

So....I'm interested in seeing what others have done too- I want to avoid as much as possible using the custom software that came with the Warhog joystick/throttle because I want to keep things as simple as possible.  But alas, it looks like to get the most out of the throttle buttons will require customizing their macro and their scripting language, which looks like straight C to me (I was a software engineer programming in C for years) but I still want too, if possible that is, avoid the TARGET script editor, LUANA, or FSUIC (even though I own a purchased copy).  My goal is to see how far I can get keeping it simple and then slowly branch out.

Prepar3D settings seem to recognize nearly all the buttons on the joystick but have had problems getting it to recognize most of the throttle buttons, something I'm going to dig into.

I've set aside part of today to do nothing but work on this issue and if I make any breakthroughs I'll report back my findings.  I'm on Prepar3D by the way and plan to move the to V4 after a few more products get updated.   I've never seen an OOM error in V3 so no hurry there either.

Mark

Hi Mark

Same throttle and pedals as you. Great gear. Like you, I feel its a shame so many buttons,switches have no use at present. I'd be very interested in your progress.

I switched to P3dV4 and have no regrets -  modified software is begining to stream out. Go for it!

Regards,

Bryan

I have to smile. I too have a Warthog and when I first got it thought 'Whoopee, loads of buttons'. Assigned all manner of switches/buttons to all kinds of jobs. Damned if I could remember any of them! I've reverted to easily remembered, basic commands. Mind you, I don't do complicated aircraft, so not too much to remember.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Well a month later it's confirmed that it is no problem to get the joystick and all buttons on the joystick set up properly and what I would consider logically, but the throttle switches are still mostly useless; I'm not sweating it to hard though as I plan on getting DCS World sometime this year, and when in the real warthog (in that game) it is supposedly set up to instantly understand all those assignments.  If I figure out something that makes sense for the throttle in PDMG 737 I'll post back. 

Meanwhile I know that some folks have programmed reverse thrusters the to motion of "pull up and back" functionality of the Warthog Throttle, I found it easier (to keep the entire assembly coming off the desk when performing the "pull up and back" maneuver) to use the grey button just under the thumb throttle hat switch on the right throttle control for this- set it up so that when pressed from its neutral position into the forward position it will click and stay there, causing reverse thrusters to come on full (program to decrease thrust- it will go negative and become reverse thrust).  Then when below 60 kts, use your left thumb to pull that same switch back past the neutral into the back-most position, which is spring loaded to pop back into the neutral position once released (set it up so that the backmost position sets the throttles to neutral), and then let the switch snap back to the middle position which does nothing more- you're at zero thrust.  This switch is perfect for this.  Think of pushing this button forward for reverse thrust as blowing air forward which is exactly the real world operation of the reverser.  

So - touch-down, throttles to neutral, thumb pushes top grey button forward and remains engaged there as reversers ramp up, hit 60 kts, use your thumb to pull it back 2 stops, where it spring loads back to neutral all on its own for 0% thrust.

If I make any other advances I'll post here, still getting Prepar3D V4 acquainted!

Thanks,

Mark Trainer

The warthog is awesome in DCS and the stick works fine as an F16 stick too. I am slowly getting my extension sorted to put the tick where it should be and feel right too. Waiting on springs right now..

Actually, though I dislike the things, the Warthog throttle works well with the A320.the detente work with TOGA and reverse and you can just click back from the front detente for the rest of the time, until the ore landing insult!

Damn fine bit of kit! I just wish Thrusaster themselves offered an extension piece and support. I'm using a set of R/C car shocks with very heavy oil no strong springs to vented and give a fluid feel.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Hi all,

After 3 months I still have a long ways to go before I have my Warthog finished setting up.  I'm finding everything in MSFS takes a long time to get setup/tweaked the way I want it.  So I have been using FSUICP so far (at some point I may opt to use LINDA for programing it but so far I have not needed it).  I decided to just assign buttons/switches/etc as I go.

I started with items I want to control during takeoffs and landings so that I don't have to take either hand off of the joystick or throttle during those critical phases.  So this is what I have assigned so far.  On the joystick I have the pinkie switch operating the Landing Gear.  There is no particular reason for using this other than I felt it would be easy to distinguish by feel.  Not real crazy about this selection, so I may change it up.  I also have the elevator trim assigned to the black Target Management Switch and the flaps assigned to the grey Countermeasures Management Switch.  I really like these selections as I use both a lot during takeoffs and landings and it feels natural to operate these with my right hand thumb.  Probably helps that I had both functions in similar places on a previous joystick.

On the throttle component, I have one throttle for left engine and one throttle for right engine on two engine planes.  For three engine planes I have one throttle for engines 1 and 3 and the second throttle for engine 2.  I have not setup a single or four engine plane yet, but plan on using one throttle for outboard and one throttle for inboard engines on four engine planes.  Did not think about single engine planes until just now.  Maybe I will use one throttle for mixture controls on single engine.  Regarding reversers, I just set that up last night based on a suggestion I found online.  I used the Cutoff position on the throttles to map to F1 (Engine Idle),  Then I mapped the coolie switch to F2 and F3 with continuous input so I can smoothly adjust the amount of reverse thrust, Finally I set a F1 "on release" command of the Cutoff position.  So when I pull the throttle out of the Cutoff position it brings all engines back to idle.  I didn't get a chance to try it out yet.  I like your idea too mark, so if this doesn't work well for me I will try yours out.

I mapped the grey Landing Gear Horn Silence button to the Sync Throttles function for whenever I need to do that.  I also mapped the grey Throttle Friction Control lever to Prop Speed.  I fly the DC-3 a lot and it works great for that.  Also have toe brakes on rudder pedals set for individual wheels.  Differential breaking and throttles are a necessity for turning the DC-3 on the ground.  I think the next thing for me to assign will be speed brake.

Tim

Hello

I am setting up my Thrustmaster Warthog with P3D v4 and require advice on an aspect of this procedure.

I have a registered copy of FSUIPC5 and intend to use this to set up the throttle & joystick for use with PMDG aircraft.  To start the procedure I have read that PMDG do not like the thrust axis controllers disabled inside the control section, is this correct?  if so, do I setup the thrust axis inside the controls section and assign all other settings using FSUIPC?

Clive Alexander