hello guys,

ive got 16gb corsair vengance ddr4 3200mhz in my system, but on my shelf i also have one stick 8gb ddr4 2133mhz by crucial. when i first upgraded my system i only puy the 8gb stick in but then upgraded to 16gb dual channel and took out the 8gb as i thought it might mess with the system and the way it will think about using the ram, i know i sound so stupid here :(.

would it be a wise idea to put the 8gb back in to make it 24gb or would that mess with the dual channel operation and p3dv4 in general.

many thanks.

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

If the timings are the same, you can have different capacities in different banks of a channel without problems.

10 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

If the timings are the same, you can have different capacities in different banks of a channel without problems.

i have no idea all i know is one is crucial 2133mhz and one is corsair 3200mhz

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

They will all run at the speed of the slowest bank.  I'd suggest getting more of the corsair, instead.

Unless you know for a fact you're running out of physical RAM, I wouldn't suggest trading off speed for capacity.  You could see a drop in performance of 10-20%, depending on your sim configuration and CPU speed.

Not to mention the weird and unknown crashes you'll be plaguing the forums with. Don't do it, never a good idea to mix brands and timings. Not only that if you put in one stick into a dual channel board your other memory will drop to single channel, so you lost all your benefits of that kit you already put in.

Micron use Micron chip not good chip, corsair use Samsung or hynix.

If you run deafault it's the jedec from the stick in slot1 you get the timings from.

Xmp the same if you have a low end me stick 2133 and one 4266 put the 2133 in slot 1 you see the xmp for 2133 boot works great, then swap the 4266 stick to slot1 and enable xmp no boot the 2133stick fail to run the 4266 timings.

No rocket science it's how it works.