Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Hey, NICE supercomputer! And you say P3D V4 runs well? Wow!

i7-3930 + GTX 680 here + 32 GB RAM. Will post early next week with some results. I am pretty happy with v3, but could use a framerate boost at my preferred visual settings. Hoping v4 will be get me where I want to be.

• Upvote 1

3770k here.  GTX 780 SLI.   32GB RAM.  I don't have much hardware envy ... yet.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, denali said:

3770k here.  GTX 780 SLI.   32GB RAM.  I don't have much hardware envy ... yet.

32 GB of System Ram?  I wish, as stated don't have even half of that...unless I want to pop for a new MB....:(

• Upvote 1

I am getting better loading, performance and visuals with V4 compared to V3

My Specs i7 6700K 4.5GHZ GTX970 and 16GB DDR4 RAM. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

1 hour ago, turner112 said:

:)  But let's see some posts from people with crappy old computers!

Didn't get my copy yet, but here's my system:

Dell XPS 8300

intel core i5-2320 cpu 3.00ghz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 ti

I dare you...

Well get a copy and post your results asap...pretty sure you win when it comes to the antiquated. lol

• Upvote 2

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Well I am curious to see how it will run on my pc once it is back up and running. 

i5 @ 3.2 ghz

16gb ram

GPU (GTX 650 ti SC)is dead so hopefully will replace it with a GTX 1070. Also thinking of buying a new monitor. Looking at ultrawide monitors. So many people on the forums have very powerful rigs...so I hope my rig will perform well enough. 

• Upvote 1

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

At least FSW looks a little different for the frame rate. P3D looks the same as FSX and performs worse. But I dont care, its the best we have until FSW progresses or X-Plane does something big. 

• Upvote 2

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

1 hour ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

P3D looks the same as FSX and performs worse.

Really?  Have you been reading this and other forums?  That certainly has not been my experience and from all the posts I've read here and elsewhere it hasn't been that for others also.

Vic

• Upvote 4

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Ok, here are some observations on about 10 mins sim time before bed last night....

Dell XPS 8300
Intel core i5-2320 cpu 3.00ghz
16GB Ram (not sure what kind at the moment)

1) Everything loaded MUCH faster. Aircraft selection, airport selection, time of day, etc. 

2) Same crappy GPS? Is there a moving map yet? (X-Plane 11's GPS is very good)

3) Would like to finally see sloping runways

4) Great performance - with no tweaks on my meager system & I got 25-28 fps out of the gate. Cloud shadows at default distance (I think 50 miles) didn't have much effect.

5) Smooth performance even with framerate drop - I bumped up cloud coverage, and while my FPS did drop to the teens, for some reason, it was still smooth. Nicely done.

6) I couldn't get full overcast, exactly, even with clouds at 100%. Pretty close, though.
6a) Low visibility fade is not good, i.e. the change from full to no visibility, e.g. at 10 miles, is too abrupt

7) Did I mention the sh!t gps? :) I guess I'll have to look at add-ons for a 530/430 combo.

8) Scenery distance was very impressive and looked great in the distance, but textures were too homogenous. 

9) Speaking of which, we need a) real roads, and b) no roads in textures

10) This didn't look like FSX to me.

11) There is a pause in sound after coming back into the sim from adjusting things / choosing aircraft / etc.

12) Night textures... sharper than before on my system, but really just not my favorite. if there was a way to add point lights and / or sharpen & brighten distant night textures, it would go a long way. Forget point lights, just sharpen & brighten in the distance...

13) Dusk looked great

14) Runway environment draws in as you get close, e.g. every other runway light. Also, I landed at an airport that had approach lighting but no VASI or alternative. Not sure if that's accurate but will have to look at a few other airports. Anyway, runway lighting is too bright from a distance. Airports are HARD to see at night in real life unless you're lined up or on top of them. I'd like to see pilot controlled lighting as well, as not all airports always have their approach lighting turned on. (Does any sim model this?)

Ok, that's all for what I've seen in about 10 mins. Overall, it's promising, but does feel more like an incremental update with nice performance so far, especially considering my ancient & underpowered system. 

7 minutes ago, turner112 said:

Ok, here are some observations on about 10 mins sim time before bed last night....

Dell XPS 8300
Intel core i5-2320 cpu 3.00ghz
16GB Ram (not sure what kind at the moment)

Ok, that's all for what I've seen in about 10 mins. Overall, it's promising, but does feel more like an incremental update with nice performance so far, especially considering my ancient & underpowered system. 

Well that's good news for simmers with lower end PC set ups. I checked my CPU's specs last night and while it does have 4 cores, it does not have hyper-threading so hopefully that is not too much of a disadvantage for me.

From reading other threads I have already seen a few tips that may help folks like yourself and me get better performance from our "commoner" :dry: rigs. Disabling "Speedtrees" is one suggestion I see floating around that may help. Can't wait to get my new GPU to join in on the fun. Missing my flight simming.

• Upvote 1

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

Good topic.

As we know, in the decade or so that we've been putting up with having to use a sledghammer to crack a walnut, by having to install a massively overblown GPU and RAM with a bus speed that hardly any other PC applications requires in order to run adequately, just so it can speed up the very few features of FS which were actually utilising that hardware, we've got used to the notion that FS needs a supercomputer to run.

But it really should not be so. The base platform is over a decade old and when it was originally created, contemporary GPUs were stuff like Radeon 6700s and NVidia 500s and contemporary RAM was DDR2; these items were perfectly capable of running contemporary 3D shooter games such as ARMA, SkyRim, Saint's Row etc at acceptable speeds and can still even today manage to run many fancy games on slightly reduced graphics settings. And these are games with graphics which make FS look like a joke by comparison, so really, if sims such as P3D, FSW and XP11 are properly optimised to use the GPU, an older GPU should be able to run them. Look at AeroFly FS2 after all; that thing goes like a train with 200fps easily achievable on even really crappy hardware. So what will impress me, is when and if ESP-based stuff can do that, because if thse sims truly have been GPU optimsed, they absolutely should run acceptably on relatively moderate hardware,

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here