Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

RealAir Turbine Duke V2 in Prepar3d V4

Since RealAir is no more, it seems like it is worthwhile to explain how to install the aircraft into P3d V4. There's the LM way and the "old" way. The old way consists of directly editing the hidden file simobjects.cfg and make the V4 version have an identical entry for the TD as your V3 version has. I do not suggest you do this, as it is better not to edit any of the V4 cfg files with Notepad or any other basic text editor. Although the chances of an issue from direct editing of a English language version of a cfg file are very small, you might experience an issue down the road.

The LM way is to use the V4 built-in Addon Manager which is accessible from the P3d  menu. First create the following file and save it in the existing P3d V3 TD's  install folder, which looks something like:

...\RealAir\Turbine Duke V2 P3D3

It's exact name and path can be found by looking at the TD entry in simobjects.cfg. Use Notepad to create this file:

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>RealAir</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>RealAir Turbine Duke V2.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Effects</Category>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>SimObjects</Category>
        <Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document> 

Save the file in the folder listed above as add-on.xml. Run P3d  V4, open the Addon Manager and add a new addon at that same folder. The Addon Manager only will recognize an addon path if the properly formatted XML file is located in the target folder.

• Upvote 7

Hello Jay!

Thank you very much for this guide. Could you help a little more about how to add this file? I add it on the TD directory (C:/Program Files/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D v4/Real Air/duketv2p3d2/) however I can't find the Addon Manager in the P3D menu. The only add-on manager I can find is at "Options-->Add ons..." but there is no option to add an entry there..

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Would this process also work for the Realair Lancair legacy v2 as well?

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I should have been more clear about this. One still has to use a text editor (ugh) and edit one of the add-ons.cfg files either in:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

or

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Add the next full entry in numerical order to the bottom of the file and save it. Make sure that you make a backup of the file in case something goes awry. The entry should look like this:

[Package.x]
PATH=G:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Addon Aircraft\RealAir\Turbine Duke V2 P3D3
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

For editing P3d V4 cfg files, I suggest downloading the freeware editor Notepad++  and make sure that the file is converted to UTF-8 before saving. For the time being, good old Notepad should also work, but that's subject to the whims of LM. If the sim does not start after this editing, revert back to the original version of add-ons.cfg.

As I stated above, copying the RealAir TD  entry from the simobjects.cfg file in V3 will also work. Don't do both, however!

• Upvote 1

I reinstalled Duke and the Lancair with the proper installers and pointed them into P3Dv4 with no issues whatsoever, other than the known sound issues. Do we really need to do all this?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Is there a way to fix the missing sounds from the lancair?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

No, one can just point the V3 installer to the V4 locations. The official LM method actually isn't as complicated as it looks, but I suggest that in the long run, addons that don't comply with LM's "edicts" may be in jeopardy. The new addon policy was instituted during P3d V3, but wasn't enforced in any way, other than casual statements made official by LM staff. But LM tends to warn people about big changes to the sim's structure for about a year and then they make the changes mandatory. For example, when they warned about  FS2002 ground polygons:

http://www.alexgoff.net/native-prepar3d-format-ground-polygons/

They were unsupported  (but still working) during P3d V2, but then LM just dropped them as an option at V3.3. There's a lot of legacy code still hanging around and LM tends to wring it out at certain junctures.

1 minute ago, captain420 said:

The missing sounds are due to the fact that Doug Dawson's sound gauge is 32 bit. He has stated that he will work on a 64 bit version as soon as he has a chance to review the P3d V4 SDK. This has been confirmed to me by Mr. Dawson, but also Dino Cattaneo, the author of the fabulous F35 and other aircraft for P3d. There is always a chance that a 64 bit version of the gauge is not feasible, though.

I see, so there;s no way the original developers of these planes are able to make this fix? I know realair is not in business no more, sad to hear. But would be great if they can do something.

4 hours ago, captain420 said:

Hi, what sounds are actually missing?

Thanks,
gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

flaps sound, landing gear as far as I notice, not sure if anything else is missing? But so far those 2 for sure.

Jay, I'm confused. I'd appreciate your help.

I can't find the folders you are mentioning exactly. I have installed the RealAir Turbine Duke V2 pointing to P3D v4.

You refer to : PATH=G:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Addon Aircraft\RealAir\Turbine Duke V2 P3D3

My Prepar3D v4 installs to C:\Program  Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4  . I don't have any Lockheed Martin in the Program Files (x86) folder. 

On my P3D v4 folder I have the following directories for RealAir:

1) C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Real Air\duketv2p3d2\

2) C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Duke Turbine V2

In which one should I add the add-ons.xml and also refer to in the  add-ons.cfg entry?

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

I wish there was one working aircraft addon provided by an authentic installer to see how this should work.

I installed the Otter for v4 but it installs the old way, unfortunately.

Mario Di Lauro

8 hours ago, SolRayz said:

I reinstalled Duke and the Lancair with the proper installers and pointed them into P3Dv4 with no issues whatsoever, other than the known sound issues. Do we really need to do all this?

Sol reading this post with interest (have both Duke and Lancair) - can you confirm what the result was when you installed it just be repointing the installer? or would you recommend using this (slightly more complex) workaround solution? - assume you also had the sound issue?