Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

RealAir Turbine Duke V2 in Prepar3d V4

Cool, does the GTN 750 work as well?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

The Flight1 GTN  gauges have not yet been updated for 64 bits. The best place to check for news is the Flight1  official support  Forum.

14 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Since RealAir is no more, it seems like it is worthwhile to explain how to install the aircraft into P3d V4. There's the LM way and the "old" way. The old way consists of directly editing the hidden file simobjects.cfg and make the V4 version have an identical entry for the TD as your V3 version has. I do not suggest you do this, as it is better not to edit any of the V4 cfg files with Notepad or any other basic text editor. Although the chances of an issue from direct editing of a English language version of a cfg file are very small, you might experience an issue down the road.

The LM way is to use the V4 built-in Addon Manager which is accessible from the P3d  menu. First create the following file and save it in the existing P3d V3 TD's  install folder, which looks something like:

...\RealAir\Turbine Duke V2 P3D3  % In my system it shows as " C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\RealAir\duketv2p3d2 " Is this the needed directory ?

It's exact name and path can be found by looking at the TD entry in simobjects.cfg. Use Notepad to create this file:  % I don't have any Turbine Duke entry in my simobjects.cfg 

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>RealAir</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>RealAir Turbine Duke V2.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Effects</Category>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>SimObjects</Category>
        <Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document> 

Save the file in the folder listed above as add-on.xml. Run P3d  V4, open the Addon Manager and add a new addon at that same folder. The Addon Manager only will recognize an addon path if the properly formatted XML file is located in the target folder.  

11 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I should have been more clear about this. One still has to use a text editor (ugh) and edit one of the add-ons.cfg files either in:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

or

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Add the next full entry in numerical order to the bottom of the file and save it. Make sure that you make a backup of the file in case something goes awry. The entry should look like this:

[Package.x]
PATH=G:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Addon Aircraft\RealAir\Turbine Duke V2 P3D3  % Which is the directory that we need to point here?  *Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Duke Turbine V2* or *Prepar3D v4\RealAir\duketv2p3d2* ?
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Problem solved...so the .xml file is placed on Prepar3D v4\RealAir folder. Then the add-ons.cfg entry is edited and the path targeted to the .xml file. Thanks!!!

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Thanks.  I just pointed the installer to v4.

There is no sexier addon...

leg1.jpg

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

23 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I should have been more clear about this. One still has to use a text editor (ugh) and edit one of the add-ons.cfg files either in:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

or

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Add the next full entry in numerical order to the bottom of the file and save it. Make sure that you make a backup of the file in case something goes awry. The entry should look like this:

[Package.x]
PATH=G:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Addon Aircraft\RealAir\Turbine Duke V2 P3D3
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

For editing P3d V4 cfg files, I suggest downloading the freeware editor Notepad++  and make sure that the file is converted to UTF-8 before saving. For the time being, good old Notepad should also work, but that's subject to the whims of LM. If the sim does not start after this editing, revert back to the original version of add-ons.cfg.

As I stated above, copying the RealAir TD  entry from the simobjects.cfg file in V3 will also work. Don't do both, however!

Jay

Something I discovered was I added the "add-on.xml" file as you suggested to my RA Turbine Duke folder. Then I copied the entire folder with the new add-on.xml file into the P3Dv4 Add-ons folder that was created by the P3Dv4 install.

Then all you have to do is launch the P3Dv4 sim and it asks you if you want to add the new add-on aircraft and you hit yes and it creates the path file in the

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 for you.

I tried this because when I installed the new A2A C172 P3Dv4 compatible installer that's what happened when I launched P3Dv4 so I thought I would try it with the Duke and it WORKED!

So this way you don't have to edit any config files, it makes the appropriate entry for you.

I was also wondering why the GTN system doesn't work in P3Dv4.

I notice in the "add-on.xml" file you only point to Effects whereas in the A2A C172 "add-on.xml" file they point to Effects, Fonts, and Gauges. I know there is no Gauges folder for the Duke but a couple folders deeper under Realair there is the "Config Panel.exe"  Is there any way to get the panel to work or create a gauges folder by running this?

I assume if there was one created it would have to be referenced in the "add-on.xml" file like the A2AC172 does:

<AddOn.Name>A2A</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>Aircraft by A2A Simulations Inc.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Fonts</Category>
        <Path>Fonts</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Gauges</Category>
        <Path>Gauges</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Scripts</Category>
        <Path>Scripts</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

compared to what we put in the Duke file below:

<AddOn.Component>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Just curious because everything works great and I'm wondering what it will take to activate the GTN panel. Perhaps it's all related to the GTN 750 from Flight1 but I thought Realair might have had their own implementation like my Eclipse 550 NG in X Plane 11 does.

Thanks for all your help and information

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I pointed the installer to my Prepar3d v4 Add-ons folder and of course, I get an Effects, Gauges, Real Air, and Sim Objects folders. Do I put all of these into a Real Air Turbine Duke Folder and put the add-on.xml file there or do I put the add-on.xml file into the RealAir folder?

Really could use a Poppet style lots of pictures how to install 3rd Party Aircraft for us new to installing aircraft outside the base Prepar3d folder.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, joepoway said:

Just curious because everything works great and I'm wondering what it will take to activate the GTN panel. Perhaps it's all related to the GTN 750 from Flight1 but I thought Realair might have had their own implementation like my Eclipse 550 NG in X Plane 11 does.

Thanks for all your help and information

Joe

It will take Flight1 updating their GTN software to work.  Realair did the nice 3d models for the GTN and the integration etc etc but the gauge still needs to be updated by F1.  They are going to do it (per simforums post) but it will be an upgrade fee.  Fine with me, I used the GTN in many different addons.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, KenG said:

I pointed the installer to my Prepar3d v4 Add-ons folder and of course, I get an Effects, Gauges, Real Air, and Sim Objects folders. Do I put all of these into a Real Air Turbine Duke Folder and put the add-on.xml file there or do I put the add-on.xml file into the RealAir folder?

Really could use a Poppet style lots of pictures how to install 3rd Party Aircraft for us new to installing aircraft outside the base Prepar3d folder.

How I added the Realair Duke Turbine to P3Dv4

1st create the following new xml file to add to the Realair Turbine Duke folder:

<AddOn.Component>

<Path>Effects</Path>

</AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>

</AddOn.Component>

</SimBase.Document>

You can use Notepad or Notepad++  to create the file just make sure you save it as an XML file with the name   add-on.xml 

Once you have created this file copy it into the Realair Turbine Duke folder that was created on your PC for P3Dv3 mine is located:

C:>Realair Turbine Duke Aircraft>Turbine Duke V2 P3D3

Note within this folder you will find 3 other folders:

Effects

Realair

SimObjects

Don’t put the new add-on.xml file in any of these folders it should look like this when you’re done:

Turbine Duke V2 P3D3

Effects

Realair

SimObjects

add-on.xml

Now to avoid having to change any config files within P3Dv4 you just need to place a copy of this folder:

Turbine Duke V2 P3D3   into the P3Dv4 add-ons folder that P3Dv4 created on your PC

Mine is located here:    C:>users>Joe>Documents>Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

Once you have placed that folder here with the new add-on.xml  file in it just close the windows and launch P3Dv4.

When P3D starts up it will find the new aircraft located in its add-on folder and ask you if you want to accept it, just click YES and it will put the appropriate entry in it’s config file and you are good to go.

By the way this is what will happen automatically if you use the new proper install of the A2A C172 that’s on their store now, when you run P3Dv4 after the A2A install it sees the entry put in the P3Dv4 add-ons folder and ask you to accept it. This is how all proper installs will happen in the future I believe.

Also if you want you can go back to the original Realair Turbine Duke folder for P3Dv3 and delete the add-on.xml file or you could have made a copy to start with before inserting the new add-on.xml file either way.

Hope this helps

Joe

• Upvote 4

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, ryanbatcund said:

It will take Flight1 updating their GTN software to work.  Realair did the nice 3d models for the GTN and the integration etc etc but the gauge still needs to be updated by F1.  They are going to do it (per simforums post) but it will be an upgrade fee.  Fine with me, I used the GTN in many different addons.

Good to hear  Thanks  it sure is an exciting time for us Flight Simmers !

A lot of cockpit sounds are not there, I uninstalled it quickly and am going to stick to the A2A C172 anxiously awaiting official v4 addons.

14 minutes ago, joepoway said:

Hope this helps

Joe

Joe,

That helps allot, thank you.

-Ken

7 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

A lot of cockpit sounds are not there, I uninstalled it quickly and am going to stick to the A2A C172 anxiously awaiting official v4 addons.

As posted earlier in this thread by Jay:

The missing sounds are due to the fact that Doug Dawson's sound gauge is 32 bit. He has stated that he will work on a 64 bit version as soon as he has a chance to review the P3d V4 SDK. This has been confirmed to me by Mr. Dawson, but also Dino Cattaneo, the author of the fabulous F35 and other aircraft for P3d. There is always a chance that a 64 bit version of the gauge is not feasible, though.

Additionally Flight1 will have to update for the GTN 750 to work, also posted earlier:

All and all it sounds very good still and well worth flying but it's a personal choice.

17 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Thanks.  I just pointed the installer to v4.

There is no sexier addon...

leg1.jpg

Ryan just to check when you say "just pointed the installer to v4" do you mean you just ran the stock TD installer but instead at aiming it at v3 you aimed it at your v4 folder or did you do all the file editing as mentioned above as well to get it working (reason I ask is have the TD and lancair which are 2 of my favourite aircraft and want them working ASAP in v4 (even if some sounds are missing!) preferably without editing all the files - if its possible.....

One big issue with doing all this the LM way, is that programs like Chaseplane and Precipitfx won't work right because it needs access to your aircraft.cfg. My understanding is that they are aware.

Honestly, having your addons all over the place, having to reorganize them, edit xml and cfg, because, at the end of the day, developers will not conform to the same standards, is truly assanign. For those with OCD and require organization, this adds far more workload. 

Example, FSDT placed entries into add-on.cfg in ProgramData, while A2A and other place entry in Appdata Roaming. Its just so disorganized now. 

Also A2A places Simobjects, Effects etc, with add-on.xml in Docs folder on C: drive (which is ridiculous imo)  while other developers place just the add-on.xml with Sim files in the traditional P3D Root Simobjects folder, and others conform to neither like Aerosoft's Twotter. 

This is not good. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor