Sign in to follow this  
davidzill

Very poor performance in V4

I would check your Nvidia driver settings and ensure (for P3D anyway) that Power management mode is set to 'Prefer maximum performance.'

A recent driver update set this back to the default 'Optimal Power' state for me.

I have an i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz and a GTX 1070 FTW. v4 default blows away v3 default for me, in terms of overall performance and smoothness. And v3 was awesome. 

I will also say I have Windows 10.

• Upvote 2

Best Regards,
Kyle Schurb
Developer of Virtual Cockpits, Sceneries, and Liveries.
Instrument-Rated Commercial Pilot AMEL, CFI/CFII/MEI

11 minutes ago, davidzill said:

What is speed tree? Im new to prepar3d btw

"Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation" under Graphics --> World in Option Menu.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Just now, davidzill said:

yes it is on. Turn off?

Turn it off....and dynamic refelections if it's on

I have a 5820k@ 4.7 ghz a gtx 1080 and 32 gb 3200 MHz ddr4 and a 42 inch 4k tv.

I turned  everything to the max regarding scenery and Shadows also 4096 textures 40 % road traffic , medium dynamic reflections, speedtree on....

Sitting at Flightbeam ksfo hd with default f16 i have 28- 30 fps witch is the refreshrate of my tv.

So for me Performance is very good.  

• Upvote 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

2 hours ago, Kyle Schurb said:

I would check your Nvidia driver settings and ensure (for P3D anyway) that Power management mode is set to 'Prefer maximum performance.'

A recent driver update set this back to the default 'Optimal Power' state for me.

I have an i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz and a GTX 1070 FTW. v4 default blows away v3 default for me, in terms of overall performance and smoothness. And v3 was awesome. 

I will also say I have Windows 10.

What frames do you have with default settings? Our systems are near identical

12 minutes ago, davidzill said:

What frames do you have with default settings? Our systems are near identical

Locked at 60fps in most locations, definitely at the default airport. Flying over Los Angeles with dense autogen, 40fps average.

Best Regards,
Kyle Schurb
Developer of Virtual Cockpits, Sceneries, and Liveries.
Instrument-Rated Commercial Pilot AMEL, CFI/CFII/MEI

I figured out my problem: I had Hyperthreading turned off in bios. Turned it on and FPS 100+, but when I turn on v-sync, my frames drop to 30, as if v-sync is set to 1/2 refresh rate. 

In any case, if anyone is getting terrible performance in V4 than in V3 with roughly the same settings, unclick the checkbox for 3D dynamic trees (SpeedTrees). At high vegetation autogen densities these trees kill performance. These 3D trees are realistic (and similar to those used in video games based on the Unigine engine and other engines), but except for helicopter flying, once off the ground, the difference visually is marginal. But close up, they put the stick figure theater 2.5D trees to shame. But you must decide if you are more like either Charles Lindbergh or Henry Longfellow.

• Upvote 2

Then an option to load speed trees close up and the usual x trees in the distance with an adjustable transition radius might have benefited appearance further with best of both.

Why would having Hyperthreading switched off make such a huge difference to framerates? If that was the case, anyone with a CPU that does not have hyperthreading would be getting a raw deal :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hello

If you have No Add On's currently Installed try this quick step,  Maybe something got a bit messed up on the way in  

Navigate to your Core Prepar3D v4 folder,  Scroll down a bit,  Double left click on the file,  "Delete generated files"   Launch Prepar3D v4 and test 

I have similar setup just lower OC on CPU and single 1080. I can achieve 60FPS at 4k resolution flying over sparse areas with mostly all sliders to right (scenery, autogen, some shadows disabled, 15% road traffic). Over my stresstest area - LAX I get something over 20 FPS, which is similar to v3 but with less autogen distance

9 hours ago, davidzill said:

My system: Intel 4790 @ 4.9ghz, 16gb DDR3, (2) 1080 GTX's. A robust computer. Windows 7 64 Professional. All drivers, updates, activex libraries, etc up to date.

Your pc should be able to do much more. My system is the same as yours and I'm doing with a clean P3D (no addons yet) around 70FPS with ALL settings high, using TDuke v2. Performance is amazing on my system.

The only difference I see is that you've put your P3D on the C-drive, while I've got a dedicated SSD for P3D

Cheers!

Maarten