Sign in to follow this  
dal330200

P3Dv4...Why You May Want to Wait

Hi Everyone,

So I bit the bullet and downloaded, installed and test-flew v4 for a few minutes today.  I've also been fiddling with X-plane 11 as of late. 

I would suggest holding off on moving past v3 until the addons come out, as the performance increase I noticed doesn't offset all of the stuff the default sim lacks.  The default scenery is pretty much the same- same airports, same crappy night lighting, horrible colored ground textures...Also, we just learned today that PTA is not going to be updated for v4 either.  So, unless developers intervene or someone out there knows how to manipulate shaders we're pretty much stuck with default lighting. 

Without ORBX, AS16, ENVTEX, most of my addon sceneries, my PMDG aircraft, UTLive and GSX, there's just no point.  Default X-plane 11 is much nicer, and that's not saying much.  At least all they need to do is improve sounds in aircraft, come up with a good traffic injector and beef up their weather engine.  So, I guess both 64bit platforms are not developed enough to provide the same level of immersion I have in v3 at the moment.

So, unless you are happy with default, I'd hold off until all of the updates and addons roll out in order to enjoy the sim.  From what I gather in some of the forums, it can be weeks or longer before some key elements are tested, updated and available.  I'm not saying it's not worth buying, but why bother if the addon world isn't able to catch up?  I really think LM screwed up a great opportunity to dazzle the market by not allowing more beta copies to get in the hands of developers ahead of release.  Of course, X-plane also came out without some basic essentials as well.  Welcome to the banner year of flight simulation...

So, back to v3 I go, happily flying in my perfectly-tweaked, yet constrained by VAS system for a little while longer.

John

• Upvote 7

I now have v4 but agree without the payware addons I'm with v3 for now for the immersion.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

What about sweetfx ? it works in my p3d v2.5 

I Honestly do not understand it,  If you plan to buy V4 once all the addons are working than what is the difference if you buy it now without any addons?

Everyone has been screaming that they wanted a 64bit version of P3D, LM finally releases it and all people do is complain.

• Upvote 16

7 minutes ago, sultanofswing said:

Everyone has been screaming that they wanted a 64bit version of P3D, LM finally releases it and all people do is complain.

That's absolutely true, LOL. But, really, flying P3D without any or very few addons is like having a brand new car but without a driver license, having to driving it only around your house to avoid being arrested. The good news is that it has been demonstrated that upgrading scenery and aircraft from 32bit to 64bit it's a lot easier than originally expected, as new installers are announced to arrive really soon (FSDT, PMDG, ORBX, Chase Plane, to mention only a few popular ones, are already or will be compatible in matter of days).

Something that disapointed me a lot today was the announcement made by KNOSSOS (Yuri) about stoping the development of such a P3D popular enhancer that was PTA, and that no v4 compatible version will be produced, even at some price/cost. I do still hope Yuri could rethink his position to make all of us happy with a paid version of PTA for P3Dv4.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

P3Dv4 looks great performance-wise in a comparison video I just watched. I'm not close to buying this one yet since I just bought v3 a few weeks ago and XP11 just a few weeks prior to that.

Keith Guillory

25 minutes ago, sultanofswing said:

I Honestly do not understand it,  If you plan to buy V4 once all the addons are working than what is the difference if you buy it now without any addons?

Because once all of the addons are up and running, then it's worth flying.  So, for those who are deciding whether to switch over now as opposed to waiting should think about whether or not it's worth it.

John

30 minutes ago, sultanofswing said:

What is the sense of buying something if you are not going to use it for who knows how long. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

This is why I don't jump into the pool the first day it opens up. Taking my sweet time on this one, since it's not a cheap buy, specially since I have the v3 pro version, and lately I found a real sweet spot that gives me all I need and no OOM. Maybe in a year from now, when several upgrades have been release and most if not all of my favorite scenery are up to par with v4, will I then make my move, maybe...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dal330200 said:

Hi Everyone,

So I bit the bullet and downloaded, installed and test-flew v4 for a few minutes today.  I've also been fiddling with X-plane 11 as of late. 

I would suggest holding off on moving past v3 until the addons come out, as the performance increase I noticed doesn't offset all of the stuff the default sim lacks.  The default scenery is pretty much the same- same airports, same crappy night lighting, horrible colored ground textures...Also, we just learned today that PTA is not going to be updated for v4 either.  So, unless developers intervene or someone out there knows how to manipulate shaders we're pretty much stuck with default lighting. 

Without ORBX, AS16, ENVTEX, most of my addon sceneries, my PMDG aircraft, UTLive and GSX, there's just no point.  Default X-plane 11 is much nicer, and that's not saying much.  At least all they need to do is improve sounds in aircraft, come up with a good traffic injector and beef up their weather engine.  So, I guess both 64bit platforms are not developed enough to provide the same level of immersion I have in v3 at the moment.

So, unless you are happy with default, I'd hold off until all of the updates and addons roll out in order to enjoy the sim.  From what I gather in some of the forums, it can be weeks or longer before some key elements are tested, updated and available.  I'm not saying it's not worth buying, but why bother if the addon world isn't able to catch up?  I really think LM screwed up a great opportunity to dazzle the market by not allowing more beta copies to get in the hands of developers ahead of release.  Of course, X-plane also came out without some basic essentials as well.  Welcome to the banner year of flight simulation...

So, back to v3 I go, happily flying in my perfectly-tweaked, yet constrained by VAS system for a little while longer.

John

You derived at this conclusion after "a few minutes" of testing?  

• Upvote 5

Matt King

Don't know why they cancel the evaluation license but I bought V4 anyways.

It's all your choice to stay with V3, but I don't want to throw money to somewhere that I can't enjoy flying. OOM and stuttering are going to kill me in V3. I bought V4 to cure this. After the first flight test, all I would say is WOW! No more stuttering, no more OOM, no more blurry textures, much better environmental effects, multicore management, more utilised CPU/GPU usage. And on my system, the actual performance is MUCH better than V3. It's not what you saw on the livestream at all. It depends on how does it actually perform on your system. You have to see it by yourself. That's it, it deserves the price. I'm in.

V4 is definitely going to gain the mainstream of P3D platform with its 64bit merits. IMHO, I suggest every P3D user upgrades to V4 to have the larger extent of enjoyment in the future. This reminds me of people's reaction when they decided to change from FSX to P3D or FS9 to FSX back in times.

45 minutes ago, flyerkg said:

P3Dv4 looks great performance-wise in a comparison video I just watched. I'm not close to buying this one yet since I just bought v3 a few weeks ago and XP11 just a few weeks prior to that.

If you bought V3 within 60 days, you can ask for a refund to purchase V4.

• Upvote 3

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

Wow, why does everyone seem to go to negative without READING what I said?  I didn't say that I'm not happy with the potential with v4.  I said maybe it's better to wait until the addons roll out before ditching v3.  That's all I was suggesting.  Sometimes I hate the snide-ness of this forum really.  Take what I say with a grain of salt, as it was meant to be constructive. 

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, kingm56 said:

You derived at this conclusion after "a few minutes" of testing?  

That was enough for me to know to keep using v3 until the essentials roll out in the next few weeks.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is mine.  Sorry if my impressions aren't to your liking, but how your comment is constructive is anyone's guess. 

5 minutes ago, dal330200 said:

Wow, why does everyone seem to go to negative without READING what I said?  I didn't say that I'm not happy with the potential with v4.  I said maybe it's better to wait until the addons roll out before ditching v3.  That's all I was suggesting.  Sometimes I hate the snide-ness of this forum really.  Take what I say with a grain of salt, as it was meant to be constructive. 

I think what you said is probably wise.  We all knew or suspected that moving to 64-bit was going to be tough and I'm not surprised at all at any of this.  It's growing pains.  The PTA news is bad indeed...I have no interest in flying in a sim with unrealistic lighting.  And I wouldn't move until FSUIPC and PMDG are ported anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

you have made a valid point, the past 24hrs many developers have had their first look at the new version, if their coding needs changing in order for it to work, of course its going to take some time

I think john you shouldve worded your OP in a blunt and simple manner like

"Yeah P3D v4 is here, but dont ###### if you find out most of your favorite payware addons dont work at all or its been 24hrs and your favorite plane is still not ready so if you are sitting on the fence on whether to buy now or latter,, just remember its going to be no different from any initial release of FSX or P3D "

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA