Sign in to follow this  
markmasterson

P3D V4 Best New SIm

I have been flying FlightSim since the first version, then Sublogic, then back to FS.  I have X-Plane, FSX-SE, and P3D v2,3.   I have to say that the Lockheed Martin team hit it out of the park with V4.  1st day I have 80% of my scenery running.  I did not have to buy new scenery.  Wow! is an understatement.  Yes I wish I had my tube liners but with everything working smoothly out of the box.  No issues and I have flown for several hours from many airports.   All I can say is the future is good.

• Upvote 4

+1. Amazing performance on day 1. Excited for the future.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, markmasterson said:

I have been flying FlightSim since the first version, then Sublogic, then back to FS.  I have X-Plane, FSX-SE, and P3D v2,3.   I have to say that the Lockheed Martin team hit it out of the park with V4.  1st day I have 80% of my scenery running.  I did not have to buy new scenery.  Wow! is an understatement.  Yes I wish I had my tube liners but with everything working smoothly out of the box.  No issues and I have flown for several hours from many airports.   All I can say is the future is good.

Hows autogen popping.

It seems ibhave noticed it still in a youtube video 

And blurry terrain a little in distance then sharp very quickly

Hmmm

SubLogic...good old days. I remember at age 10 walking into the computer store and seeing the subLogic WEST packaging. Without question, the scenery was amazing back in the day.

TODAY, I slewed around the bay area and the textures became clear within 1-2 seconds. Other versions, 10-20 seconds.

Tim

I bought all the regions and spent hours in the world that I was amazed with then.  I never imagined what we have.  What will happen in the future.....

It's been quite a ride for the flightsim timeline.  Amazing to see how far the hobby has advanced.  I have collected all the versions I could get my hands on from FS1 and tomorrow will be P3Dv4.  One of each factory sealed and second so I could actually use.  Using DOS emulators so I can still power one up when I have the itch to go back in time.

What always fascinated me also was reading the User's Manuals that would accompany each version.  They started out as almost pilot companions with real aviation algorithms, real-world flight planning, etc.  The last companion book was for FSX.  Boy, it looked like first shooter's gamer's book!  Look's like now we are heading back in the other direction. :)

Looking forward to loading mine up tomorrow with some photoreal and custom agn. 

Good times ahead!

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

After using XP11 almost exclusively for the past four months, I'm still of the opinion that the default XP11  sim still looks a bit better than P3d V4. But, as I have started accumulating  V4 compatible addons, the potential superiority of P3d starts to shine through. The FSDT airports (among others) are light years better than anything for XP11, except for the few MisterX contributions. And the AI traffic, ATC and lack of seasonal changes in the default XP11 still leave a lot to be desired. Pilot2ATC has improved matters on the ATC front and World Traffic 3 (if and when its released) might be the answer to AI traffic. It is possible to doodle around and get seasonal textures, but why bother?

I'm still going to use both P3d and XP11, but I'll probably spend more time keeping P3d up to date rather than XP11, now that P3d OOMs have gone boom. Aerofly FS2 and DTG FWS are not on my shopping list at the moment, but that could change. In another few days ORBX, HiFi, REX and Flight1 will push all their updates out the door and the allure of P3d will get even stronger.

• Upvote 3

I feel the same way, I have given X-Plane many tries and have tried my best to like it, but it seems I keep coming back to P3D. I think this is going to be my main sim of choice that I'll commit to and invest my hard earn money on.

• Upvote 3

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

tried the fsdt airports and work great, smooth loading of the airport without the long pregnant pause 10nmi out.  

one noticeable thing about p3dv4 is autogen popping--last time i saw alpha fade was on fs9...

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Hi,

just recalled this remark:happy:

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

5 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

After using XP11 almost exclusively for the past four months, I'm still of the opinion that the default XP11  sim still looks a bit better than P3d V4. But, as I have started accumulating  V4 compatible addons, the potential superiority of P3d starts to shine through. The FSDT airports (among others) are light years better than anything for XP11, except for the few MisterX contributions. And the AI traffic, ATC and lack of seasonal changes in the default XP11 still leave a lot to be desired. Pilot2ATC has improved matters on the ATC front and World Traffic 3 (if and when its released) might be the answer to AI traffic. It is possible to doodle around and get seasonal textures, but why bother?

I'm still going to use both P3d and XP11, but I'll probably spend more time keeping P3d up to date rather than XP11, now that P3d OOMs have gone boom. Aerofly FS2 and DTG FWS are not on my shopping list at the moment, but that could change. In another few days ORBX, HiFi, REX and Flight1 will push all their updates out the door and the allure of P3d will get even stronger.

I switched exclusively to XP11 and did not plan to go back.  But, I installed v4 yesterday and may change my mind simply because what is still missing in XP11 as you note.

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale