Sign in to follow this  
Johan217

Automated checklists/virtual copilot

Here's something that could set FSW apart from other sims: automated checklists and a virtual copilot. MS Flight did something with checklists... that was about the only thing I liked about it :laugh:

What I mean is: a virtual copilot calls out the checklist items, then the player can either perform the required actions himself or simply hit Enter to simulate that the copilot handles the switches. In more complex aircraft, there could be an option to let the copilot handle the gear, flaps and radios.

Come to think of it, I haven't found a way to view checklists in FSW. The file is present in the folder and there is an entry in the aircraft.cfg, but there doesn't appear to be a key assignment for it.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?

I'm a bit annoyed at the overall lack of documentation in FSW. No checklists, no aircraft references, no instructions. Someone who is new to flight simming would be turned off by the complexity.

Well, it IS an early access/beta version, & thus incomplete. DTG has said that they are expecting the (existing) flight sim community to partner with them, ie debug the thing. So, that obviously would mean, in my eyes, that this early access release is NOT for someone new to simming. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

8 hours ago, Johan217 said:

What I mean is: a virtual copilot calls out the checklist items, then the player can either perform the required actions himself or simply hit Enter to simulate that the copilot handles the switches.

Yes, this is a feature I would highly appreciate. :cool:

Frankly, although that's kind of a nice idea, it'd be a bit like reinventing the wheel for the DTG developers when there is already the sublimely excellent Multi Crew Experience in existence. Now of course as with every other FSX add on, MCE isn't yet available fro FSW, but the developer of MCE is notoriously quick and efficient at getting it compatible with new add ons and sims (i.e. it works with FS9, FSX, P3D and X-Plane and tends to become  compatible with newly-released add-on aircraft in very short order), so I wouldn't be surprised to see it become available for use with FSW at some point.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I haven't tried MCE, but it looks like it is much more than I asked for. Also, I imagine that the voice activation will turn off a fair amount of users. Other than that, there is Flightdeck Companion (probably no longer developed) and the freeware FSFO (excellent, but not as detailed).

I still think that having this functionality built into the sim, with the possibility of expansion through addons, would make a great feature. Especially when the big aircraft will arrive.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?

The original FSX aircraft did not have much in the way of documentation. You can fly these without using all the features, so I suspect the rookies will be ok.

I suspect they put the added functionality in the cockpits to hold us more experienced simmers over until 3PPs are on the scene.