Sign in to follow this  
Freaknout

P3D co-habitation with FSX

Hi all

I'm about to install P3D v4 alongside FSX in Win7 where previously I've used a different Win10 installation (on the same PC) for P3D v2, keeping them separate. Do they co-habitate happily together as I'd primarily like to avoid re-downloading Orbx and use the FSX files (as I understand that process)? Or can I install P3D into Win10 (on the same PC) and still retain access to the Orbx files in the Win7 installation?

Thanks in advance

Jay

Jason Jackett

Give it a go and let us know. I would hazard a guess that you might be in a very small minority with such a setup.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

P3D and FSX installations are totally independent of each other. One doesn't know the other exists...

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

3 minutes ago, b1bmsgt said:

P3D and FSX installations are totally independent of each other. One doesn't know the other exists...

Russ

This is not true with FSX and P3Dv3....if you try to launch both at the same time, it will not let you. However with the new 64bit P3Dv4 I have no idea if that interface problem still exists.

In this case above the OP is suggesting to operating install each running a sim I believe, so I would have no idea on that one.

Near CAM3

1 minute ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

This is not true with FSX and P3Dv3....if you try to launch both at the same time, it will not let you. However with the new 64bit P3Dv4 I have no idea if that interface problem still exists.

In this case above the OP is suggesting to operating install each running a sim I believe, so I would have no idea on that one.

I never imagined a situation where I would try to launch both at the same time...

When you run one it is not affected by files from the other (not running) one, unless you link to some of the other one's scenery files in the Scenery Library.

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Thanks for the comments people.

I wouldn't use both at the same time! I was thinking more about whether add-ons are likely to get confused but I suppose if the installers are designed correctly then it may not be a problem. 

Thanks

Jay

Jason Jackett

58 minutes ago, b1bmsgt said:

I never imagined a situation where I would try to launch both at the same time...

When you run one it is not affected by files from the other (not running) one, unless you link to some of the other one's scenery files in the Scenery Library.

Russ

Back a ways, I just installed P3Dv3 and was updating with my Orbx Scenery etc....and thought it would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of system performance and quality.  I run two monitors so was going to put them one on each. I launched P3D V3, then tried FSX is gave me and error and said I could not do that. So I went to P3D forums and asked, they advised that there were some issues that prevented the two running concurrently, I think some core files that are not in the actual FSX and P3D folders.

Near CAM3

I have steam installed and just installed p3dv4 this morning. I would not recommend it because I found one problem, when SODE runs now it will grab all your configs for your fsx installation if you are running p3d and the opposite also when flying in fsx it will be loading your p3d stuff too. Just cleared out my sode installation, removed the programdata files manually, and installed it again and my p3d v4 is very smooth. You will have a lot of duplicates flying Orbx scenery it will be installing a fsx version and a p3d version if you want to fly in both. I am thinking about formatting my hard drive and starting over with a clean win10 pro install for v4.

44 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

I have steam installed and just installed p3dv4 this morning. I would not recommend it because I found one problem, when SODE runs now it will grab all your configs for your fsx installation if you are running p3d and the opposite also when flying in fsx it will be loading your p3d stuff too. Just cleared out my sode installation, removed the programdata files manually, and installed it again and my p3d v4 is very smooth. You will have a lot of duplicates flying Orbx scenery it will be installing a fsx version and a p3d version if you want to fly in both. I am thinking about formatting my hard drive and starting over with a clean win10 pro install for v4.

Thanks.

I suspect that's what I'll do too. I have a Win10 installation but I'll need to clean out an FSXSE install beforehand.

Jay

Jason Jackett