Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Dynamic Lighting/Night Lighting in P3D v4

This is the one thing X-Plane shines at and I will miss. But since the new P3D v4 now has updated lighting, can someone comment on it. How does it look compared to the previous P3D lighting engine? Is it anywhere close to what X-Plane has to offer, and also which add-on airports currently support P3D's updated dynamic lights? 

I'm assuming that all 3rd party add-on airports must update their airports to include this feature if I'm not mistaken?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 minute ago, captain420 said:

This is the one thing X-Plane shines at and I will miss. But since the new P3D v4 now has updated lighting, can someone comment on it. How does it look compared to the previous P3D lighting engine? Is it anywhere close to what X-Plane has to offer, and also which add-on airports currently support P3D's updated dynamic lights? 

I'm assuming that all 3rd party add-on airports must update their airports to include this feature if I'm not mistaken?

It is very good, massive improvement, but at the risk of being pummeled X Plane is still the king of night lighting.

• Upvote 1

It looks very good, but am hoping that  third parties can eventually make lights look like they do in XP11.    The XP lights are amazing

• Upvote 1

I don't for you but me my frame rate drop like hell (lost 20-25 FPS) when I'm pointing a building at night

will the landing lights illuminate the clouds when flying thru weather?

Thank you

John.

Right now it seems that some aircraft are still using the old night textures, I think that will be fixed very soon. So you can't compare the final result with XP at the present time. One of the beta testers told me that emissive lights will be there if developers using V4 SDK to add them. I guess that would not be difficult to do with SDK available.

JV from ORBX said the current dynamic lighting feature supports 256 light sources in one scene, this feature still needs to be improved in the future. But the night environment in V4 is already miles ahead of V3. ORBX is still developing a project called "Building", that will replace all autogen buildings in the sim. They might have something to say about it in flightsimcon this year. 

Cheers

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

2 hours ago, 757FO said:

will the landing lights illuminate the clouds when flying thru weather?

Thank you

John.

Hi John, unfortunately no. But maybe we can expect FSFX Packages to do it. They have the strength to improve the immersion in the sim. 

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

6 hours ago, kand said:

Its as good as xp11

It's a little bit of overstatement, let's face it. :males:

I love P3D but still... have you seen some XP11 night pics ?

2 minutes ago, gamer19 said:

It's a little bit of overstatement, let's face it. :males:

I love P3D but still... have you seen some XP11 night pics ?

Entirely agree

I was trying to post a pic to show the difference but cant remember how

7 minutes ago, glider_uk said:

Entirely agree

I was trying to post a pic to show the difference but cant remember how

What are you talking about glider, just post the damn link. It's all ...automated, no worries.

You're not much tech-savvy aren't you ? :uwe_melk:

S-76C_5.jpg.25013947c73c4cfdfdd21e8ffa57

There. :rolleyes:

edit:

You can actually post one from the (XP11) game and another from real life and ask people which are which. I bet no more than 69% will guess it right. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gamer19 said:

What are you talking about glider, just post the damn link. It's all ...automated, no worries.

You're not much tech-savvy aren't you ? :uwe_melk:

gqor3Z.png

There. :rolleyes:

Well considering I own an IT company, no your right :blink:

5 minutes ago, gamer19 said:

You can actually post one from the (XP11) game and another from real life and ask people which are which. I bet no more than 69% will guess it right

They look great in screenshots but when actually in the sim they have limited draw distance and pop into view

7 minutes ago, Glynn said:

They look great in screenshots but when actually in the sim they have limited draw distance and pop into view

Yep the same issue as in 10 and 11 but XP11 nigh lightning is great, however we have a sub-forum for XP, back to P3D V4 hope with PTA we can adjust some stuff nights still to light..

Love the dynamic light feature lot of possibilities..

André