Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

4xSSAA = 99% GPU usage with GTX 970?

As the title suggests is this normal?  New convert from FSX Steam edition with DX10 fixer.  I am planning on upgrading the card to a 1070 soon but wondered if this is normal.  Using 4xSSAA on FSX with the fixer i used to hover around 70 80% even in heavy weather conditions.  If I dial back to 2xSSAA my utilisation is around 60%.

Thanks

Sid

Thomas Derbyshire

That's how mine is too

also the vram is maxed lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

P3Dv4 relies more and the GPU and uses an improved lighting system.

Your card probably has no power enough to use 4X SSAA.

A faster card will surely help.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Did you turn the Vsyn off? If you turned it off and the GPU was showing 99% usage that is normal.

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

vsync was off by default.  I just enabled it and set 4xSSAA, utilisation dropped to about 90% so a slight improvement.  Totally new to P3D so just finding my feet.   I run a single monitor at 1920 x 1080, is Vsync better on or off? 

Thomas Derbyshire

2 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

vsync was off by default.  I just enabled it and set 4xSSAA, utilisation dropped to about 90% so a slight improvement.  Totally new to P3D so just finding my feet.   I run a single monitor at 1920 x 1080, is Vsync better on or off? 

Vsync on or off is no difference, it only helps if you have a 30-60hz screen and your fps is above 30 on a 30hz screen or above 60 on a 60hz screen 90% op the time so it will slow down once it hits 30 or 60 fps, otherwise the gpu will just give everything it has to reach that fps.

thanks all defo going to upgrade to a 1070 soon.

Thomas Derbyshire

I haven't bought P4D yet, but also have a GTX 970 with 4GB VRam. Now that we hear it won't OOM due to lack of ordinary RAM, will the GPU now be what might cause OOM's or what happens when it reaches 100" VRam usage?

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

8 minutes ago, jlund said:

I haven't bought P4D yet, but also have a GTX 970 with 4GB VRam. Now that we hear it won't OOM due to lack of ordinary RAM, will the GPU now be what might cause OOM's or what happens when it reaches 100" VRam usage?

Then you will get huge frame rate drops. With the GTX 970 that will happen as soon as you use more then 3.5GB since the last 500MB on the card has a much slower memory chip.

Just tweaking a bit more and it appears dropping AF from x16, again this is what I had FSX set as, down to x8 has dropped my GPU usage by about 20% down to 75-80%.  I really want to use 4xSSAA because it helps smooth everything out and reduces shimmering.  So I'll go with 4xSSAA and AFx8 for now and see how I get on.

Not told the missus how much a new card is going to cost yet lol.

Thomas Derbyshire

There won't ever be an 'OOM' in v4.

If you run out of physical RAM or Video RAM it just pages instead. = much slower = crap performance

2 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Just tweaking a bit more and it appears dropping AF from x16, again this is what I had FSX set as, down to x8 has dropped my GPU usage by about 20% down to 75-80%.  I really want to use 4xSSAA because it helps smooth everything out and reduces shimmering.  So I'll go with 4xSSAA and AFx8 for now and see how I get on.

Not told the missus how much a new card is going to cost yet lol.

Thats strange. 16x AF is pretty much a freebie on modern GPU's and has been for some time.

Keeping an eye on this thread as also have a GTX 970 and havent bought p3d v4 yet, just bought 16GB of ram and next on the list is an SSD, Had hoped to use the 970 for a while before having to upgrade

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Now with the new version out, seems that LM with V4 pushes the hardware market... 😉

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I'm using a gtx970 SC with V4 and 16Gb ram. Sim so far has been good to me but have not loaded orbx or UTX in yet. That will be the real test I suppose. Card is running 99% out of KSNA with sliders max and road traffic maxed too. I'm getting around 30-40 FPS in city. Around Seattle, same setting and flying the raptor and the lightning, I'm getting around 60 FPS in city and 100+ still above FL180.  The GTX 970 is fine for V4 but it will be pushed to the limits when addon's are in play.