Sign in to follow this  
Bushido5

Tongass Fjord Crash P3D4

Hello,

I'm new to P3D, I try to install the Tongass Fjord scenery folllowing the tutoriel posted on Avsim and each time I have a CTD.

Anyone manage to install and run Togass properly on P3D ?

I briefly tried by just making symlinks and exchanging scenery and terrain cfg's. It looked ok but for now I leave v4 alone, waiting for updated addons. 

Hans

Trying to take off at PAWG and I immediately CTD.

It is my first P3D software so I copy paste the file from my FSX folder.

Could it be beacause of the unicode stuff in the terrain cfg ?

Unless you know what you're doing, you should not attempt to add addons that are not v4 compatible.

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I don't know what I'm doing, that's why I follow a tutoriel...

And I would love to wait for a P3DV4 compatible version of Tongass but that not gonna happens soon, unfortunatly, so yes I try to follow the Avsim tutoriel.

Would be interested to know if the issue is on my side or if it is a more complex compatibility issue

1 hour ago, WarpD said:

Unless you know what you're doing, you should not attempt to add addons that are not v4 compatible.

Your are right as always from a technical point of view. However, fact is chances are slim that anyone will rewrite Tongass Fjords in these days. We didn't even get an update for PAKT from ORBX for Prepar3D because the developer left the ORBX team and apparently nobody cared to fix license issues with this great scenery and rebuild it. So that leaves us with two options, give up or fix things with band aid. I think it applies to many elements of this hobby, you can't demand continuous development but you also don't want to give up your loved bits. 

• Upvote 1

Hans

I think I nail it, it was an issue with the AI traffic

Using the Tongass Configurator I try the various AI traffic and the culprit is the DHC 3 Otter and DH6 Twin Otter.
If the box is checked P3D crashed if uncheck no issue.
Other AI traffic seems to work fine (I didn't try the Dash 7 and Bell 206 as they are FS9 portover)

On 5/31/2017 at 6:10 PM, hjsmuc said:

Your are right as always from a technical point of view. However, fact is chances are slim that anyone will rewrite Tongass Fjords in these days. We didn't even get an update for PAKT from ORBX for Prepar3D because the developer left the ORBX team and apparently nobody cared to fix license issues with this great scenery and rebuild it. So that leaves us with two options, give up or fix things with band aid. I think it applies to many elements of this hobby, you can't demand continuous development but you also don't want to give up your loved bits. 

?   PAKT is updated for p3dv3.   Russ also did a bunch of other airports and they are patched too.  not sure I understand.

PAKT was updated but since v3 it has no PAPI lights. Upon inquiring I was told that this couldn't be fixed because Russ had left and he explained that he can't fix it because ORBX holds the rights to the scenery. Just the information I got. 

• Like 1

Hans

On 5/31/2017 at 3:17 PM, WarpD said:

It sounds like he doesn't know; hence, he is asking for help.

Tongass Fjord was developed by Holger Sandmann, who is still very much an active part of the ORBX team. It was first developed for FS9, well before the ORBX days and it was/is exclusively sold by a company called "FSAddon Publishing". This company still holds the right to Tongass Fjord (also the FSX version) today. Holger Sandmann had once approached the owner of FSAddon, whether he can buy or get otherwise the licence for his product, so that he can develop it further (P3D). Unfortunately as far as I know FSAddon never replied to Holger's request. At least that's what Holger wrote in the ORBX forum, when I asked him about Tongass for P3D a while ago. It's a pity. Thanks to Elaine and her great tutorial here on avsim, it works in P3D 3.4, maybe she can try to find a way to make it also work in v4

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Now that FTX Central 3.2 is out, I removed my symlinks and let it install the ORBX regions. After that I manually added the 40 Tongass entries into the terrain.cfg and added the two Tongass scenery folders from within v4, below the ORBX regions as also advised for v3. It's working normally, no control center obviously but no terrain anomalies and the scenery is complete. 

Hans

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

It's not an ORBX product.

Hans

As Bushido said, it's only a matter of old incompatible FS9 mdl files for the AI Aircraft. These are the DHC 3 Otter and DH6 Twin Otter and also the turbo variant and the Dash7. I tried to convert the mdl to FSX standard with ModelConverterX. The crash can be avoided this way, but the models lose animations, like spinning propellers. Looks a bit stupid. So we rather change the traffic files to new models. So first we need an FSX AI model of these aircraft and then the paintjobs. Then we can easiliy replace the AI models with new ones, using same names will use them right away with the existing traffic files. 

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods