Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

stars.dat file?

In fsx you have a stars.dat file and a great free program autostarx added realistic stars. I can't find a stars file just a stars effect file. where are the stars located in p3d? Thanks for helping!

It does work with P3D V3... and thus I assume it will with v4. Fantastic program that I won't fly without.

• Upvote 1

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

2 hours ago, gamer19 said:

stars.dat - found in my C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 (aaand v4) folder.

God luck with editing it ! ;) And... thank you for that small utility program recommendation !

edit:

It's quite old chap,

https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=autostarx.zip&Go=Search

you sure it would work with P3D ? It was working with FSX, right ?

Thanks I looked only in the main p3d folder. I'll try it coming from fsx it is nice to have real stars.

2 hours ago, gamer19 said:

you sure it would work with P3D ? It was working with FSX, right ?

I use it with P3D v3...assume v4 will be the same.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

stars.dat? what's that?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

stars.dat? what's that?

It's a data file of the about 4900 stars p3d displays. You would think there would be a few cpu cycles involved there.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

stars.dat? what's that?

A file that tells the sim to display the stars in specific locations. A long time ago a great programmer created autostarx available in the avsim library that places the stars and planets in realistic locations if you run it and set the date of your sim, even checking a box if you are flying south of the equator. I just tried it and it works in p3dv4 pointing to the programdata location of the stars.dat

16 hours ago, captain420 said:

stars.dat? what's that?

And planets (it has the full ephemeris for all the visible planets) and you can add any other sky objects if you so choose (comets, nebulae, etc).

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Sounds interesting, does anyone have any screenshots of this in action? I would like to see a difference compared to the default.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

7 hours ago, captain420 said:

Sounds interesting, does anyone have any screenshots of this in action? I would like to see a difference compared to the default.

There might be an error when trying to run autostar just search the web for the .dll in the message to download at microsoft's site

Here on the ground in Hawaii 

jM5DZUS.jpg

Moved the stars.dat file out and pointed autostar to that folder and it created a new dat file based on the date set.

Wow that looks beautiful! Where can I get this and is it fully compatible with P3D v4?

You can also use it to adjust the brightness of stars. If it works in P3Dv4 that's great. I don't think there is any benefit or loss for FPS because the position of stars is precomputed and statically portrayed in the sim's night sky no matter whether you modify stars.dat or not.

This sounds awesome, would make for some amazing night/dawn/dusk flying!

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

Where can I get this?

Did you see post #2? It has the download link in it?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator